Do we all have a meaning for others?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2021 Book of the month, "There's a Rooster in My Bathroom: A Quest for Meaning in the Bathroom, the Boardroom and Beyond" by Trish Ostroski.
Ghuddie eso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ghuddie-eso.html
Latest Review: Jesus, Prosperity Gospel and Poverty in Africa by Elijah Oladimeji

Re: Do we all have a meaning for others?

Post by Ghuddie eso »

Yeah, absolutely, we all have meaning for others. We're perceived diferently by people but there's always this predominant perception people have about us, and we should work to protect the good meaning people have for us.
Peace Odii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace-odii.html
Latest Review: Justin's Quest by Winsome Board

Post by Peace Odii »

In my recent experience, I have in doubt come to an agreement with the author that we all have meaning to others. There's usually a space we are occupying In the heart of other people. But sometimes, what we mean to others is not always positive and we have to agree to that.
tafta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tafta.html
Latest Review: The FBI Inspector by Jay Dubya

Post by tafta »

Bridgetbruso99 wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 01:38 I also think the quote refers to not just the obvious people we would mean something to, but that you never know the impact that you could be having on others. People need to be aware of that and live their lives accordingly by it. Think of the people that you have met that have impacted you in some way, whether they knew it or not. Now think about if there might be someone somewhere in your life that thinks about you the way you think of that person.
I agree, this meaning we have exists in the beholder's eye. You might never have encountered that person in your life but, already you've imprinted a meaning in them. It also comes to closeness/relationship. There are some relationships that you actually thrive to exude a certain meaning, for example, in courtship or marriage. If you don't carry that meaning, the relationship dies. It is the essence of relationships, meaning something to others.
Natalia Nazeem
Favorite Book: The Amulet of Samarkand
Currently Reading: We are Volhuire
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalia-nazeem.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Natalia Nazeem »

The quote is interesting, depending on how you choose to interpret it. Personally, I'd like to think that the idea of 'having meaning for others' is about how others perceive you, and the meaning that others generate for you. Whether it's as a friend, a family member, a co-worker, a significant other, or any other relationship out there, a significant part of who you are is determined by the meaning that others have about you. For example, I do partly define myself in relation to others - I am my mother's daughter (some of her behaviors are reflected in me), I am a good employee (I make sure I have a sustainable work ethic), or I am a valuable friend (I try and espouse active listening, and try and be there for others). Accordingly, protecting and recognizing how you affect others plays a large role in understanding who you are, and accepting who you are. At the end of the day, human beings are social creatures - which means that the way we define ourselves is not in isolation, but in relation to others around us.
JH_Mayyy
Currently Reading: The Ultimate Guide For The Avid Indoorsman
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jh-mayyy.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by JH_Mayyy »

This quote aligns with my perspective on how people affect others in all kinds of ways. For me, a huge part of life is about creating memories with others. You are remembered in their stories, and they are remembered in yours. There is a meaning in all these memories, for they are what makes each of our lives unique and intertwined at the same time.

"Each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one."
Sohana Hasan
Favorite Author: Sarah J. Maas
Favorite Book: shadow and bones
Currently Reading: The Beautiful
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sohana-hasan.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick
fav_author_id: 2719

Post by Sohana Hasan »

Maybe it's just my perception of the world, but I felt like this question is connected to stereotypes. Even before speaking to some people, many of us unintentionally make assumptions about their character and who they are. This perception can be based off of the color or make of their clothes, their skin color, visible signs of their religion or other aspects of their appearance. This stereotype lends a sort of "meaning" to another person and it can develop both positively and negatively.
zayyyna
Currently Reading: My "Enemy" in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zayyyna.html
Latest Review: Underdog Thinking by Atul Vir

Post by zayyyna »

Every person we meet in our life, has a meaning behind it, so yeah we had meaning in their life whether it's small or big . we maybe inspire to achieve something our help them in something which make an impact in their so yeah .
Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chukwuebuka-ifedigbo.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo »

This quote caught my attention while reading the book. I am truly surprised others noticed it too. I believe that the world is built in such a way that makes us owe a collective responsibility to each other. In other words, the true meaning of our lives depends on how we treat and show affection towards others. When we treat people good, they reciprocate same to us. Thus, we have a meaning to others and, owe one another a duty not to act arbitrarily.
angelap5467
Favorite Author: Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Favorite Book: Crime and Punishment
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angelap5467.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest
fav_author_id: 2563

Post by angelap5467 »

Natalia Nazeem wrote: 07 Jun 2021, 07:13 The quote is interesting, depending on how you choose to interpret it. Personally, I'd like to think that the idea of 'having meaning for others' is about how others perceive you, and the meaning that others generate for you. Whether it's as a friend, a family member, a co-worker, a significant other, or any other relationship out there, a significant part of who you are is determined by the meaning that others have about you. For example, I do partly define myself in relation to others - I am my mother's daughter (some of her behaviors are reflected in me), I am a good employee (I make sure I have a sustainable work ethic), or I am a valuable friend (I try and espouse active listening, and try and be there for others). Accordingly, protecting and recognizing how you affect others plays a large role in understanding who you are, and accepting who you are. At the end of the day, human beings are social creatures - which means that the way we define ourselves is not in isolation, but in relation to others around us.
I share the same thinking and I see this as you leave an impact on everyone and in everyone's life. Whether it's big small, good, bad, you still exist and take part in someone others life.
Black Jewel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-black-jewel.html
Latest Review: The Game by Molly Perry

Post by Black Jewel »

It is like a ripple effect, or that's how it was once explained to me. We all have meaning to others, even if we do not know it. Or even if they do not know it themselves. Make one person smile, and that in turn can light up the next person's life as well. Anger a person, and they could take it out on the next person. It all just ripples on down the line. So I do believe that we all have meaning for other people. And we need to think about that before we take some actions.
Kebble
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kebble.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Kebble »

The quote is accurate and i do agree that we all have some meaning in the lives of other people. We have people that draw inspiration from other people in education, careers, and arts. Realizing that we have a meaning in other people's lives makes us be more careful when presenting ourselves to the world. Which in turn would make the world a better place as we will work with being good all the time on our minds.
Kiran Kanwar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kiran-kanwar.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Kiran Kanwar »

We have so many different types of people in our lives and each one of them has different expectations from us. There is family and some friends with whom you can talk more honestly and there are other friends, colleagues, acquaintances who talk to you about different things.

For example for your superior you have professional usefulness and for your most close ones, you have emotional usefulness. Some call you to talk about studies, some for books, some for sports, etc. So I agree that we all have some sort of meaning for others.
Saloni Amin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Saloni Amin »

We have met different people that mean differently to us. All come into our lives and help changing ourselves in some way or the other. There might be positive or negative impact but we all realize it later in our lives, the difference that each person makes in our life and we need to appreciate that and always be grateful in life :) .
Rubina kaur
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Rubina kaur »

For me, I believe we all have a meaning for others. Every person we encounter teaches us something, something that we carry with ourselves. Each person is a lesson and everytime you learn a lesson, it changes you, might be a good change or a bad one but in the end it's for the best.
Ondijo Junior
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ondijo-junior.html
Latest Review: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by Ondijo Junior »

This quote also caught my attention, I don't believe we are always meaningful to everyone, we only become important to someone when they need our assistance somewhere, meanwhile those other time we are never of use to them.
Absenc Of Evidence, is Never an Evidence Of Absence

Return to “Discuss "There's a Rooster in My Bathroom" by Trish Ostroski”