Do we all have a meaning for others?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2021 Book of the month, "There's a Rooster in My Bathroom: A Quest for Meaning in the Bathroom, the Boardroom and Beyond" by Trish Ostroski.
Phoenix451
Currently Reading: Respect
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phoenix451.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Re: Do we all have a meaning for others?

Post by Phoenix451 »

It's a pretty interesting question. But when we ask do 'I' have a meaning for others, what are we referring to? Obviously I have some kind of idea that I have about myself, but if I know 10 people directly, then each of those 10 people also has a concept of me (whether or not I agree with it). What's more, if those 10 people each tell another 10 people what they think about me, then a further 100 people will have some kind of concept of me (whether or not they value the opinion of the person who told them. That's 110 concepts of me plus my own. Which is more valid and on what basis? Is there even an objective meaning to me? Of course people who aren't ware of my existence couldn't contribute any meaning...or could they, if there's an objective category I fit into and they've encountered other people in that category? Couldn't they then have a partial concept of me which they assign meaning to? So that's about concept. As for 'meaning', what do we even mean by it? Aren't we meaning making machines? Thus if we have a concept about something, we would automatically assign some sort of 'meaning' to it (be it important, irrrelevant, positive of negative....) :?
B Sheila Holt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: One Christmas Eve
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-b-sheila-holt.html
Latest Review: Open Heart by Akil Taher

Post by B Sheila Holt »

This one quote is so full of various meanings;
How we make others feel about others and us.
How we make our friends and family feel about us.
How we affect people we don’t even know.
How others actions affect us.
How lots of people’s actions and words being good to us can have good reactions on our minds.
Miraphery
Favorite Book: Worldlines
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miraphery.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Miraphery »

I interpret this quote to mean that we have roles to play in people's lives and it's our responsibility to realize that and be that person.
Mwatu
Currently Reading: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwatu.html
Latest Review: Protectors of the Black Prince by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Mwatu »

I see myself as having meaning to others. Our lives are the sum of multiple experiences and I form that sum for others and others form it for me. I may not be able to add to that sum positively, but I should be aware of my meaning to others.
Lauren Doughty
Currently Reading: Street Gang
Bookshelf Size: 875
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauren-doughty.html
Latest Review: Head Waggling in Delhi by Eytan Uliel
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Lauren Doughty »

Sushan wrote: 01 Apr 2021, 01:15
We all have meaning for other people, and we need to do a stronger job of protecting that and recognizing that.
This is a quote from this book that caught my attention. What do you think about this statement? Does it mean that we all have a meaning for all the others, or we all have a meaning for some of the others? Do we all actually have a meaning for others? If so, what do you think about yourself? What is the meaning of yourself to others or the world? Was it difficult to recognize it? Are you working on to protect it?
This reminds me of something I said in a college religion class a few years ago, that everyone has an effect on everyone else's life, in my opinion. This is a statement I still believe today. So, whether we recognize that effect or not, it is still significant. We are all interconnected and our actions can have long lasting effects on one another since we are all part of the human race.
Kristin Ransome
Currently Reading: Way of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-firefawkes.html
Latest Review: The Augur's View by Victoria Lehrer

Post by Kristin Ransome »

I love this quote! I think everyone views people from different perspectives, but it is our job to protect that image of us and make sure it is something we are proud of.
emeraldlaurice012
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emeraldlaurice012.html
Latest Review: Poetic Thoughts of a Young Lion in the Asphalt Jungle by Steven Ederson Sr

Post by emeraldlaurice012 »

I guess this is subjective for me. Yes, we may all have meaning to others, but not equally. You might mean more to someone and less to someone else. Some people may also mean more to you than others. It all goes down to how we affect and our impact to other people's lives
Njatha77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-njatha77.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Post by Njatha77 »

Absolutely! I believe that we can learn from others just as others can learn from us. In connection with this, I find the quote "I'm a mirror, I reflect what you are" (and vice-versa) very accurate. We can see our own qualities in others, just as others can see their own qualities in us. We can learn as much from others as others can learn from us. So yes, we have meaning in other people.
"Difficulty keeps it interesting!"
Hiru1998+
Currently Reading: The Hate U Give
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiru1998.html
Latest Review: Like My Mother Before Me by Naley Gonzalez

Post by Hiru1998+ »

I feel I have a meaning for others. I always try not to hurt people, yet I am human too. Sometimes I may hurt a person who hurt me or someone else. But I will never do wrong to a good person.
I was diagnosed with depression a few years ago. Now I am way better and I especially have a meaning for mentally ill people. I feel like I am obliged to tell about them to others. I find happiness in helping them in anyway I can. Even if it is just listening.
Also I am practising to become a doctor. The patients mean a lot to me.
So I guess not just the closest people, but other people have a meaning in my life.
Creole
Favorite Book: Tales from the Gray Area
Currently Reading: Trapped in Pairadice
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-creole.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Creole »

There are so many ways in which we can interpret this quote. It is heavy stuff; quite thought-provoking. I believe we are part of each other's consciousness, whether or not we want to acknowledge this. Meaning for others is not something that I meditate on constantly. Indeed, does anyone? Perhaps I should make it more a part of my everyday life.
Holly Fleming
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holly-fleming.html
Latest Review: Beyond by Ruth Mitchell

Post by Holly Fleming »

I interpret this quote to mean that we impact the lives of everyone we meet. Whether big or small, our interactions with others can be more powerful than we may ever know. The way we treat people matters.
Hiru1998+
Currently Reading: The Hate U Give
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiru1998.html
Latest Review: Like My Mother Before Me by Naley Gonzalez

Post by Hiru1998+ »

Precious Naiti wrote: 01 Apr 2021, 06:29 This quote is very accurate and we all indeed have meaning for other people. It is very possible that each of us are someone’s reason to live. At times, people look at out lives for motivation and we need to do a better job of protecting the people who need us. This can be done by continuously working on ourselves and trying to improve in all areas of our lives. We should all spread love. Pure and beautiful love.
Your comment remind me of a quote from The Alchemist. "When we love, we always strive to become better than we are. When we strive to become better than we are, everything around us becomes better too." ❤
Prabhat Sunil Mathur
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prabhat-sunil-mathur.html
Latest Review: Severed Roots by Nego Huzcotoq

Post by Prabhat Sunil Mathur »

This quote imparts an effect on humanity and it is nicely represented in the book also. I would say yes, We all do have meaning for other people at crucial times and difficulties, which make us humans!!!
Goodness C N
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodness-c-n.html
Latest Review: Love Yourself & Lose Weight: The Success Story of Self Love by Katie Lips

Post by Goodness C N »

It's a fact that we mean certain things to people. I mean, Person A may view us as bad while Person B will view us as well. Funny enough, that stands. So yeah, we can strive to remain in the ''good book" of people if we choose to.
Nithilah Ayyappan
Currently Reading: We Hunt the Flame
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nithilah-ayyappan.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson
Reading Device: B07KR2N2GF

Post by Nithilah Ayyappan »

I think this quote really highlights that although we may not recognize how we feel about another person, it's there and we call upon it whenever we interact with that person. We "have meaning for other people" shows that everyone is important in both their own life and someone else's. We need to realize that our lives stretch beyond our circles, and our actions affect others around us as well.

Return to “Discuss "There's a Rooster in My Bathroom" by Trish Ostroski”