Self-help vs autobiography

Use this forum to discuss the April 2021 Book of the month, "There's a Rooster in My Bathroom: A Quest for Meaning in the Bathroom, the Boardroom and Beyond" by Trish Ostroski.
SiennaEllie
Currently Reading: The Fault in Our Stars
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-siennaellie.html
Latest Review: Let's Help You Self-Help! by Anthony Jacob Braaten

Re: Self-help vs autobiography

Post by SiennaEllie »

Personally, I quite like when self help books have personal anecdotes from the author as it becomes something you can aspire to and a visual representation of someone who succeeded. Also it helps you feel more connected to the author and therefore more likely to take the advice they have given.
dennisbragra
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dennisbragra.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by dennisbragra »

I like learning from other people's story and journies so i prefer autobiogaphies. But issues like mental health and psychology i would totally go for a self help. But the author does well in blending the two to give you a somewhat complete perspective
Ochieng Omuodo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Intrepid Brotherhood
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ochieng-omuodo.html
Latest Review: Endgame by William Reed

Post by Ochieng Omuodo »

Autobiographical and self-help books are not necessarily mutually exclusive. An autobiography of a person who contributes positively to society can serve as a catalyst for people to do the same. Ostroski's autobiography does provide self-help tips. She demonstrates, for example, that simple work like in the Peace Corps can have value, however intangible. She has what I think are apt words for this autobiography vs self help topic: 'Sharing stories adds to our humanity.'
Bookreviewer71
Favorite Book: 1984
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviewer71.html
Latest Review: The Bronze Bear Continues by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Bookreviewer71 »

When someone's real story is full of life lessons, their autobiography reading like a self-help book is no wonder.
Sometimes self-help books won't hold the reader's interest till the end, but when it unfolds engagingly with real-life happenings like "There's a Rooster in My Bathroom!", it is too interesting to put down. The author has achieved what she intended, which is to kindle readers' inspiration effortlessly.
Jasleen Chadha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasleen-chadha.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe

Post by Jasleen Chadha »

Trish Ostroski was successful in her writing style because she narrates her story but keeps us invested with something to learn from it. I agree it is subjective if the reader wants to make that change in their life or not but the author did make them think about it and I think that is all she really wanted to do. So, kudos to her for making a change in someone's life without making it sound less amusing!
Ghuddie eso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ghuddie-eso.html
Latest Review: Jesus, Prosperity Gospel and Poverty in Africa by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Ghuddie eso »

The author successfully merged autobiograpghy and self help in the same book. He inspired the readers to live right through his own story, and that's interesting.
Peace Odii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace-odii.html
Latest Review: Justin's Quest by Winsome Board

Post by Peace Odii »

Most of the time, autobiographies can be self-help in nature. When you read about others, it can motivate and increase your passion, which we miss out on. So, the two can be blended.
Meera Dandekar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meera-dandekar.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe

Post by Meera Dandekar »

Autobiography is a way to tell the reader a realistic story of yourself. They are facts about yourself. It may or may not motivate others. It’s not meant to. It’s putting your story out there.

Self-help focuses on “the help” factor. Authors give examples from life to help the readers grasp the concept. The author can also share stories that aren’t his/hers/theirs but of someone inspirational.
Anjali Patil
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anjali-patil.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Anjali Patil »

When you have a specific problem, you find specific self-help books for those problems. But as for Autobiographies, a person can find many solutions to his problems without even knowing the problems they had. i think it works both ways, when you need a self-help book it will be of greater help and when you need autobiography it will also be of an equal help, plus you will also get to know another individual's life.
So for me, it depends upon the situation and my mood, So i think both are equal-equal to me.
Laksha Maria Charbel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laksha-maria-charbel.html
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA
Reading Device: B08KKD61CM

Post by Laksha Maria Charbel »

I would agree that the author has succeeded in combining the best elements of both genres to create an inspiring book for the readers. The autobiography allows the reader to connect with the author on a personal level and understand why she has arrived at the conclusions she proposes. This makes it easier for the reader to accept suggestions made in the book more easily, as opposed to a regular self-help book.
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA
zayyyna
Currently Reading: My "Enemy" in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zayyyna.html
Latest Review: Underdog Thinking by Atul Vir

Post by zayyyna »

the writter of the book was a successfull in sharing her ideology and thought that will help the readers to make an impact in their life . i guess this book is a comine of both where she talk about her self while giving adive for other to make a difference in their life all along
Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chukwuebuka-ifedigbo.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo »

The author did a fantastic job, honestly. I must also say that she has a very interesting life and wonderful experiences. What fascinates more is the fact that she tells this story in a way that is instrumental and beneficial to the reader's life. I am convinced that she successfully balanced self-help and an incredible autobiography in one work.
joynob24365
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joynob24365.html
Latest Review: Weeping Goes Unheard by Lucia Mann

Post by joynob24365 »

I think it depends ofrom everyone's points of view. But for me, I'd say this book was a mix of both because it does help others while talking about success.
D G M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-d-g-m.html
Latest Review: The Employee Millionaire - Personal Workbook by H. J. Chammas

Post by D G M »

I think she did a great job at mixing the two. Most autobiographies have some motivational aspect. Otherwise, they would be too boring to read. And almost all of them are written in a serious tone. So, the added humor in this book makes it so much more interesting.
Khushboo Barwar
Favorite Book: Inertia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khushboo-barwar.html
Latest Review: The Price of Dreams by Jerry A. Greenberg
Reading Device: B07XVJZPKZ

Post by Khushboo Barwar »

Yes! She did an amusing job at it. I’m not a fan of autobiographies but blending it with self help made it easy for me to complete the book. One can’t get bored when you present your life experiences with humour, right? It was a great book.

Return to “Discuss "There's a Rooster in My Bathroom" by Trish Ostroski”