Self-help vs autobiography

Use this forum to discuss the April 2021 Book of the month, "There's a Rooster in My Bathroom: A Quest for Meaning in the Bathroom, the Boardroom and Beyond" by Trish Ostroski.
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Re: Self-help vs autobiography

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

It is very possible to crossover between the two, and most modern autobiographies do provide elements of self-help suggestions in them. Many times, if the author is just a regular person like ourselves, the self-help suggestions offered may be quite relevant and helpful, as it is in this case. As a rule, I wouldn’t pick up a modern autobiography with the intention of improving my life; I would tend to go for something written by a professional to provide advice.
Cynthia Olyy
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-olyy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cynthia Olyy »

We can safely call this a successful blend of autobiography and self-help. Her life made it such a beautiful weave. After all, self-help must not always be boring. Her autobiography gives it the needed spice.
Joyful17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k17.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Talking (war) Dog by Daniel Tierney

Post by Joyful17 »

I think she has succeeded in blending the two. Everyone has experienced setbacks at one time or another. For this reason there is much to learn from the author's story.
Karmon Kuhn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karmon-kuhn.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Karmon Kuhn »

I think this was definitely an inspirational book, and I appreciated that it was written more as a memoir than a standard self-help book. There are tons of consumable workbooks and handbooks on how to follow your dreams, but I think that reading about these personal experiences was very inspiring and enriching for me personally. While traditional self-help books can be very helpful and straightforward, I did find myself seeking action after reading several chapters of this book.
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

In my opinion, it was a very successful mix of the two genres. Many autobiographies have a self-help books element. After all, autobiographies are usually written by very successful people. When reading their autobiographies, many readers subconsciously seek to imitate them and achieve success too. In this case, the author has simply increased this self-help books element.
Caroline Anne Richmond
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Little Book of Bad Intentions
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caroline-anne-richmond.html
Latest Review: Living in a Two-Faced Jungle by Michael A Powell

Post by Caroline Anne Richmond »

I think the combination of a self-help book and an autobiography is great. I think the book is more credible because the author has used examples from her own life experiences to validate her self-help techniques. This makes the book more relatable and more honest.
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by SamaylaM »

She shared her real-life story with experiences and humor so readers can relate more and be inspired. Her true story also included helpful guidance that can aid readers in their lives. So, I think she has succeeded in regards to writing an inspirational autobiography.
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsey-coles.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chelsey Coles »

Cazrichmond wrote: 05 May 2021, 05:07 I think the combination of a self-help book and an autobiography is great. I think the book is more credible because the author has used examples from her own life experiences to validate her self-help techniques. This makes the book more relatable and more honest.
I agree with you. First-hand experience is a primary source!
“It's far less important to me to be liked these days than to be understood.” :sad-teareye:
― Lionel Shriver, We Need to Talk About Kevin
Damian Keyes
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damian-keyes.html
Latest Review: Last Minute Wedding Date by Anthony george
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Damian Keyes »

That was something I noticed near the end of the first chapter when the author included words of motivation to the readers. I actually prefer autobiographies like this book that tell the best and worst moments in your life and how you remedied those issues in order to help the reader in return. But this author is a humanitarian, so I expected nothing but helpful tips and tactics for readers to take away from her words.
KapuKapu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kapukapu.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by KapuKapu »

Yes she was successful melding the two aspects showing her journey and also inspiring others to aim and achieve more in life and to always have self belief.
Njokime
Favorite Book: Worldlines
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-njokime.html
Latest Review: Homo Technica by Stephan Collina

Post by Njokime »

I think the combination of the two makes it better. It makes us understand the author even more deeply.
Caleb 044
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caleb-044.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Caleb 044 »

For me, I would prefer a biography, this is because the author giveshis or her real life stories which usually inspire me the most.
Amina Yusuf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amina-yusuf.html
Latest Review: Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt
Reading Device: B07PQLY49F

Post by Amina Yusuf »

Having both in one book is worthwhile. I think the author has achieved her goal. Narrating her life history at the same time offering tips on certain issues to readers. It provides inspiration as well as entertainment to readers who are interested in the genre.
MarcellaM
Currently Reading: Grey heart
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-a.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by MarcellaM »

The author decided to go way beyond the normal autobiography and decided to merge the two genres. I personally think this was a good idea that really found it's way and was successful in helping other readers who would have otherwise viewed it as a chance to only learn about the author.
Serenity2010
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serenity2010.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Serenity2010 »

I think the author did an amazing job blending the two. She used her personal experiences to provide inspirational ideas for readers to follow if they choose. She also wrote the book in a way that a reader can just relax and enjoy a nice whimsical read without looking for inspiration if they choose.

Return to “Discuss "There's a Rooster in My Bathroom" by Trish Ostroski”