Self-help vs autobiography

Use this forum to discuss the April 2021 Book of the month, "There's a Rooster in My Bathroom: A Quest for Meaning in the Bathroom, the Boardroom and Beyond" by Trish Ostroski.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Self-help vs autobiography

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Autobiographies are written by authors who succeeded in their lives and wanted to tell that story to the world. They may have various intentions behind that writing, but the reader have the choice to whether to just read it and know the character or to learn and gain important qualities from that character for him/herself.

In contrast, self-help books are written with the intention of helping the reader. The reader can use such books to help him/herself by him/herself, as the genre intends.

But this author has attempted to blend these two and help the reader via her autobiography. In other words, she has tried to write an inspirational autobiography, highlighting the important points which are helpful to the reader, despite just writing an autobiography. Has she succeeded in her attempt? Has she been able to go beyond a usual autobiography?
Bridgetbruso99
Currently Reading: MY FRIEND Marilyn
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bridgetbruso99.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by Bridgetbruso99 »

I think she was successful. I think it's cool that she could see her life in this way, and be able to convey it into a book that people could benefit from. She has lead an interesting life to begin with, and the title alone really brings out her personality. Self-help doesn't have to be so boring and serious and she definitely gets that message across to the reader.
Precious Naiti
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-naiti.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Precious Naiti »

An autobiography has the chance to also work as self-help and it all depends on the perspective of the reader and whether or not they are willing to have an impact made on their lives. It all ultimately comes down to whether or not an individual is reluctant to have impact made in his or her life. the author of this book was successful in ensuring that you can get help from the book if you are willing to make a change in your life.
GoodLuck ES
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodluck-es.html
Latest Review: Always Before Me by John Servant

Post by GoodLuck ES »

I think she successfully combined autobiography and self help in the same book, which to me is a very commendable feat. But in my personal life, I prefer autobiographies cause it's always very relatable being that it's the author's personal story. I usually see how I and the author have shared experiences. So autobiography it is for me.
Francis Aderogbin
Favorite Book: Money Faucet
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Francis Aderogbin »

In my opinion, she was able to successfully inspire willing people with her unique way of life. I believe her life has been practical enough to be able to inspire herself and every other person that genuinely cares to learn from her experiences. So I concluded, it is an even blend of a self-help book and autobiography.
Arite Seki
Currently Reading: The Alchemist
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arite-seki.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Arite Seki »

I think with most self-help books, there is already a personal element in that the author is drawing information directly from their knowledge of the world and what they've perceived. I think the merging of the two genres makes sense. I think the author knew that her life and stories would inspire people, much like a self-help book, and succeeded in telling her story and using that to help people
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Killers’ Therapist by Jonathan David

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

The author goes beyond the usual autobiography. She shares her life experiences and then highlights the helpful lessons she learns from them. She gets to inspire people with her stories. And the humor is a big plus.
jaym_tan
Currently Reading: The Date Farm
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaym-tan.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by jaym_tan »

I personally think the author combined self-help and autobiography in one book, and I admire her doing something like this. Her way of blending this two produced an awesome book where people can read about her experiences and give valuable lessons that they can learn from in a way the readers can relate to.
Cwilde13
Currently Reading: Watership Down
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cwilde13.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Cwilde13 »

I think she was successful in her attempt to help people through her autobiography. She used her own experiences, but she was able to adapt them to show how the lessons she learned could be useful to others in a similar situation. The audience might not be going through the exact same issues, but the overall message of self-improvement is universal.
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

In my opinion, this was a fantastic way of writing a book. It flowed so nicely and we learned not only about the authors life experiences but it had the piece in there to make the reader really think. I asked the question will this help me? I commend the author- a great way of blending things together
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

In some areas, I think she has. Usually, in these types of blended genres (at least the ones I've read in the past) the author wants to leave a legacy of some type by giving advice.
britcott30
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Hello, My Love
Currently Reading: The Overdue Life of Amy Byler
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britcott30.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by britcott30 »

Yes, I think she has succeeded blend these two genres. I admire her ability to carefully narrate the story as her life experiences and it does not feel like patronizing the readers too much. This is very hard to do, since self-help also has to point the important things that can fit to most people, not only fit for certain people or even only for the author.
Parahiyo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-parahiyo.html
Latest Review: Learn to Love: Guide to Healing Your Disappointing Love Life by Thomas Jordan, Ph.D.

Post by Parahiyo »

I usually prefer biographies because they provide information regarding someone in a detailed and entertaining way. But this multitasking of the self-help and autobiography parts were well blended and amazing. This personal narrative was a lot more fun to read.
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

I think the author achieved her aim for writing this book. Because she used her life's experience as a case study, and readers relate more to true life stories than fictions. It's a good thing that she gives information on how she tacked every situation which will be a guide to readers. For me, the author delivered.
Deval Sodha
Currently Reading: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Bookshelf Size: 372
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deval-sodha.html
Latest Review: Speaks for Itself by Jeffrey Paul Bailey.

Post by Deval Sodha »

Sushan wrote: 01 Apr 2021, 01:16 Autobiographies are written by authors who succeeded in their lives and wanted to tell that story to the world. They may have various intentions behind that writing, but the reader have the choice to whether to just read it and know the character or to learn and gain important qualities from that character for him/herself.

In contrast, self-help books are written with the intention of helping the reader. The reader can use such books to help him/herself by him/herself, as the genre intends.

But this author has attempted to blend these two and help the reader via her autobiography. In other words, she has tried to write an inspirational autobiography, highlighting the important points which are helpful to the reader, despite just writing an autobiography. Has she succeeded in her attempt? Has she been able to go beyond a usual autobiography?
Very true, the author did a wonderful job of blending the both and created a new inspirational autobiography book.
The author posses that talent to convey her life story in a way that can become a pathfinder for the readers.
Indeed she has succeeded.

Return to “Discuss "There's a Rooster in My Bathroom" by Trish Ostroski”