What was your favourite quote (from the book) and why?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2021 Book of the month, "There's a Rooster in My Bathroom: A Quest for Meaning in the Bathroom, the Boardroom and Beyond" by Trish Ostroski.
Joez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joez.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Re: What was your favourite quote and why?

Post by Joez »

This one was my favourite quote from the book There's a Rooster in my Bathroom

"No matter how bad things are, you’ve got to go on living, even if it kills you,” by Sholen Aleichem.

I found the juxtaposition of both living and killing in the sentence a great play
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

Goral wrote: 05 Apr 2021, 01:33 Though I liked every single quote in the book, but this one is my favourite:
"The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short, but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark."
I loved this quote because it's inspiring, and in a way encourages us to think big.
I thought this one was great too! I really made you stop and think, am I setting my aim too low? I think in a lot of ways we do this, and having someone point it out to us is an eye-opener!
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
Vine Michael
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vine-michael.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Vine Michael »

Picking my favorite quote from the book is like looking for a needle in a haystack. The two quotes that come to mind

"We all have meaning for other people, and we need to do a stronger job of protecting that and recognizing that." This quote is so important. We have to first of all know or recognize the meaning or reason why others are in our lives then we would be able to protect it.

"No matter how bad things are, you’ve got to go on living, even if it kills you,” I can't recall who said this but it is the truth. There are times when I have felt like giving but I tell my things along the lines.
photosynthesis19
Currently Reading: A Room of One's Own
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-photosynthesis19.html
Latest Review: The Middle Reaches (Episodes 1-8) by L. Andrew Cooper

Post by photosynthesis19 »

“Beware of missing chances; otherwise it may be altogether too late some day.” - Franz Liszt

I like this quote because it serves as an important reminder to chase our dreams or at least attempt to do so - otherwise, we might feel regret for the rest of our lives.
Michele H
Favorite Book: Frozen Harvest
Currently Reading: A Siblings Revenge
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michele-h.html
Latest Review: House of Dads by June Gillam
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Michele H »

“Beware of missing chances; otherwise it may be altogether too late some day.” Franz Liszt

I love this quote it really resonated with me. I like how the other added the importance of keeping an open mind and simplifying life. An open mind Is the key to not missing chances.
Miraphery
Favorite Book: Worldlines
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miraphery.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Miraphery »

“No matter how bad things are, you’ve got to go on living, even if it kills you”
Sholen Aleichem
This is it for me, it reminds me to keep pushing and never give up.
KanaSmriti
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanasmriti.html
Latest Review: Rise of the Savior: Acolyte of Truth by Antoine Bonner

Post by KanaSmriti »

“No matter how bad things are, you’ve got to go on living, even if it kills you,” was my favourite quote because it made me remember the hard times of my life and what I learnt from it.
Lauren Doughty
Currently Reading: Street Gang
Bookshelf Size: 875
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauren-doughty.html
Latest Review: Head Waggling in Delhi by Eytan Uliel

Post by Lauren Doughty »

sssns wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 00:28
Lesson learned: there are diamonds in the rough that don’t exactly pop out like diamonds at first glance, but you need to hang in to uncover the jewel. That applies to people, as well. Location 350.
Sometimes, we need patience to let people grow into us and discover their unique beauty and value.
I think this is a valuable statement about perspective, and goes back to the author's point about how "we all have meaning for each other and need to recognize it and protect it." We need to get used to people and see what they have to offer ourselves and others, and how they contribute to the greater good as a whole, instead of just judging them at first glance.
PreciousExo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-preciousexo.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by PreciousExo »

I found this so humbling and it brought me so much joy. It would be great if we were to be our own competion, instead of plotting now to take everyone down and stand on them.

"To truly become great, one has to stand with the people, not above them". - Charles de Montesquieu
Honey -
Favorite Book: Fighting To Breathe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honey.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Post by Honey - »

“People said Ove saw the world in black and white. But she was color. All the color he had.”
― A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman

The power of love washed over me as soon as I read this line. Love is a phenomenal feeling that completes you even though the rest of the world is against you. But when you lose it, you end up losing a whole piece of yourself, and there is nothing much you can do to fill this void. In my eyes, it was both delightful and tragic at the moment.
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
Archaeoptery
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-archaeoptery.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Archaeoptery »

"we all have meaning for other people, and we need to do a stronger job of protecting that and recognizing that"
I liked this one very much. It is more open to have different meanings.
Holly Fleming
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holly-fleming.html
Latest Review: Beyond by Ruth Mitchell

Post by Holly Fleming »

My favorite quote was Charles de Montesquieu's "To become truly great, one has to stand with people, not above them." This quote resonated with me because the most effective way to inspire change is to actively listen to others and know when to provide support so that everyone can shine.
Holly Fleming
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holly-fleming.html
Latest Review: Beyond by Ruth Mitchell

Post by Holly Fleming »

"The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short, but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark." - Michaelangelo

This quote resonates with me deeply. I'm a human who often experiences bouts of imposter syndrome. I tend to aim low because I know that I can achieve 100% of a low goal. Taking a chance and failing is intimidating. However, I would ultimately rather set my aim too high and fail than never push myself to grow.
Serenity2010
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serenity2010.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Serenity2010 »

I just finished this book and I really enjoyed it. My favorite quote from the book is When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive-to breath, to think, to enjoy, to love." -Marcus Aurelius. This quote reminds me that life is precious.
Wildflowertheorist
Currently Reading: Rise of the Savior
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wildflowertheorist.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Wildflowertheorist »

Suzer6440 xyz wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 08:18 My favorite quote amongst others is “ we all have meaning for other people, and we need to do a stronger job of protecting that and recognizing that” - it’s the little things that are so important
That is also my favourite quote from the. We have a meaning in people's life that we may know and sometimes not.
"When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

-Friedrich Nietzsche

Return to “Discuss "There's a Rooster in My Bathroom" by Trish Ostroski”