What do you think about the writing style?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2021 Book of the month, "There's a Rooster in My Bathroom: A Quest for Meaning in the Bathroom, the Boardroom and Beyond" by Trish Ostroski.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

What do you think about the writing style?

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

The author has included various events from her life, that she thought as significant and interesting, into her memoir. There is no exact time line or any order, but we can get a good picture about her life. Sometimes it feels like jumping between scenarios.

Do you like this writing style? Did you find it interesting or distracting? Would you prefer a more orderly written autobiography?
Bridgetbruso99
Currently Reading: MY FRIEND Marilyn
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bridgetbruso99.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by Bridgetbruso99 »

I love the writing style because I feel so many of these types of books are so serious and boring. This book was funny, fun, and inspiring and you get to learn something along the way. It also teaches you to look for similar life lessons in your own experiences that you may not have thought about before.
Precious Naiti
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-naiti.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Precious Naiti »

This book is so enjoyable and that is attributed to the style of writing employed by Trish Ostroski. A lot of adult books are grim and sometimes boring to read as everything is taken seriously. This book will surely make the reader get in touch with their humorous side and is guaranteed to make you enjoy every single page.
jaym_tan
Currently Reading: The Date Farm
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaym-tan.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by jaym_tan »

I love how the author adds humor not only in the title but in her writing as well. Most self-help books are either too serious or focus too much on having a despairing tone so it is refreshing too finally have a self-help book that conveys guides and lessons in a light and fun way.
Francis Aderogbin
Favorite Book: Money Faucet
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Francis Aderogbin »

I consider her style of writing contributed to how easier it is for people to read it. Compared with other memoirs, it did not bore the readers. It captivated their attention and makes reading it quite lively. The touch of humour made it more appealing and interesting. And for the jumping between scenarios, I believed her comedy career influenced that.
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Past Speaks by Geoff McCue

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

I find the writing style refreshing for a memoir. The author shares slices of her life focusing more on the lessons and not much on the chronology.
jeanmtdb
Favorite Book: Devil Among Us
Currently Reading: The Dragons of Chiroptera
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeanmtdb.html
Latest Review: Did you know by Ashok Bhaskaran
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jeanmtdb »

I think her writing style is refreshing. She tells stories of her life to demonstrate the lesson learned in real life. Her humor adds to the readability so that it's not just another self-help book.
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

I thought her writing style was fantastic! I like that the book is focus on the reader and I appreciate the fact that she talks about the meaning of life and the opinions of others. The combination of autobiography and self help is creative and prevents the reader from getting bored with facts and advice. Her personal experiences show the reader things in an inspirational fun way .
Deval Sodha
Currently Reading: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Bookshelf Size: 372
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deval-sodha.html
Latest Review: Speaks for Itself by Jeffrey Paul Bailey.

Post by Deval Sodha »

Sushan wrote: 01 Apr 2021, 03:33 The author has included various events from her life, that she thought as significant and interesting, into her memoir. There is no exact time line or any order, but we can get a good picture about her life. Sometimes it feels like jumping between scenarios.

Do you like this writing style? Did you find it interesting or distracting? Would you prefer a more orderly written autobiography?
I feel the writing style of the author makes the book more interesting. Jumping from one scene to another actually saves the reader to be bored and keeps him intrigued.
Mostly such kind of inspirational books are boring, but author's unique writing style holds our interest throughout.
Ivana Tomaš
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivana-toma.html
Latest Review: The 13th of Summer by Charlene Pratt

Post by Ivana Tomaš »

I like that there is no rigid writing-style structure. The author does not write in a very formal way, but more freely. I like that a lot because it's much closer to everyday life and everyday situations that are addressed here.
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

I absolutely didn't like her writing styling. All this jumping back and forth nearly made me dizzy, if I am being honest. Yes I would prefer a more orderly written autobiography.
Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: My Ups And Downs by Sam Barder

Post by Eutoc »

Since it's a memoir, I'm not a fan of the writing style. I prefer keeping tabs on how things chronologically play out. It helps me connect the dots. Though the message was passed.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Nitika Sood
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-HDFC-Head-Girl.html
Latest Review: The Great Awakening by Arthur F Seymour

Post by Nitika Sood »

I really enjoyed reading this book, which is quite surprising, considering my general view on self help books. Mostly, whenever I read such books, the tone of the writing always seems either patronising or simply repetitious and dry. But I liked the easy humor and general air of mellowness about this, and I would recommend it because it was a good read, even with my preconceived notions.
Bhuvana Subramanyam
Favorite Book: Lady Smoke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhuvana-subramanyam.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Post by Bhuvana Subramanyam »

I think the author won me with the title itself! It imparts humour and curiosity in the readers. The writing style is different from other autobiographies. I liked it a lot!
Jessica Harrison 1
Currently Reading: Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessica-harrison-1.html
Latest Review: My Only Sunshine by Lou Dischler

Post by Jessica Harrison 1 »

While I did like the book, I agree with what you said about the writing feeling a bit jumpy. I think a bit more order would greatly benefit the book and wouldn't take away from the author's fun writing. The story and ideas would still be there- just a bit easier to follow.

Return to “Discuss "There's a Rooster in My Bathroom" by Trish Ostroski”