Life Like an LA or Boston Marathon

Use this forum to discuss the April 2021 Book of the month, "There's a Rooster in My Bathroom: A Quest for Meaning in the Bathroom, the Boardroom and Beyond" by Trish Ostroski.
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Re: Life Like an LA or Boston Marathon

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

I don't really like to think of life as a marathon. I would say it is more a journey. It has a beginning and the end and then there's the space in between, filled with everything life has to offer. To me a marathon sounds like a struggle through and through. It sounds like we are forced to accomplish something. However, if I'd had to pick one of these two marathons, I would pick the LA marathon. We really don't get to choose if we want to enter this life, so I think it is only fair to accept everyone.
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative
kalgaonkarsnehal
Favorite Author: Susan Elizabeth Phillips
Favorite Book: Wish You Well
Currently Reading: Connect the Dots
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalgaonkarsnehal.html
Latest Review: Effective R.U.L.E. by satish shitut
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 15638

Post by kalgaonkarsnehal »

I also believe that life is like the LA marathon- of course, everyone is welcome! How can we have an entry criterion to life? And Yes- I also agree with the comparison that life IS like a marathon- where the purpose is not only to reach the final goal, but also the entire long process of how you made it there. It essentially is a race with yourself, and that is why so many people register every year across the globe, so as to become part of that experience.
“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.” ― Isaac Asimov :techie-studyinggray: :D
Mercy119
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fireside119.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Mercy119 »

On the surface, life seems like an LA-style marathon but there are restrictions that lockout many from certain opportunities. The prepared ones will always win since they have an upper hand over the casual runners.
aodonnell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aodonnell.html
Latest Review: Cristos Rising by B.T. Findley

Post by aodonnell »

I think it depends on the communities you surround yourself with, as well as your personal perspective.
For example, I like to believe that I am inclusive and try to surround myself with a community of people who are also kind and welcoming, believing we're all trying our best. But then for myself personally, I tend to compare myself to others and think that I'm not good enough to join into a certain group. So even though I'm more about the experiences of life and how I've touched the lives of others, I still can get caught up in trying to "win the race."
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

This section caught my attention too. I think life is definitely like the LA marathon, all are welcome. Life is a journey, just like a marathon, some sections are harder than others.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
Ojil Elton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Ojil Elton »

Life is a marathon because we meet challenges, competition and strict rules, therefore, one must always prepare to face all dynamics of life. It is more like an LA marathon than Boston marathon because we meet different people, good and the bad, all races and all are in the marathon called life.
Peace Odii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace-odii.html
Latest Review: Justin's Quest by Winsome Board

Post by Peace Odii »

I like creating symbolism of life. Life can be likened to anything. Life is like a race. Like a marathon, we keep transferring our values to a coming generation. There ate many ways in which this race can be likened to life.
Domenic Frappolli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-domenic-frappolli.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Domenic Frappolli »

I think you choose the race you want to run in the same way you set the tone for your own life. Some things should be open and inclusive for everyone (the LA Marathon), and some things should require more work and effort to achieve (the Boston Marathon). And as with life, there is more than one way to achieve a goal. Yes, you can get into the Boston Marathon by being fast, but you can also find a way to enter the race through charities or volunteering. I don't think people should be intentionally excluded or alienated, but I do think we should celebrate the hard work and achievements of those who push themselves and go the extra mile to better themselves.
C3cilia
Currently Reading: My "enemy" in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c3cilia.html
Latest Review: Divine Simplicity Day 3...Unity In The Community by Yasher Echad El

Post by C3cilia »

Am impressed by the analogy brought about by the author where life is compared to a marathon.In my opinion, life should be like LA marathon so that all will be included irregardless of race,gender,ethnicity.Am against the state of life being like boston marathon since it will bring out judgemental attitude on others.
Katherine Smith
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 524">Nancy Drew</a>
Currently Reading: The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe
Bookshelf Size: 504
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-smith.html
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Reading Device: B01KVZV52A

Post by Katherine Smith »

I think that life is like a marathon because it is not about how fast you go, but how far you can make it. I think that life is more of a journey than a destination where the experiences that you gain are more important than anything else. I also agree with you that life is more of an LA marathon because everyone goes through hardships and triumphs, but some go through more of one than the other due to extenuating circumstances.
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Mary Lou Mills
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading: The Buffalo Soldier
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-lou-mills.html
Latest Review: Affliction: Growing Up With a Closeted Gay Dad by Laura Hall
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 8%

Post by Mary Lou Mills »

In the LA marathon, more people get on board knowing that they can bail when they want. The Boston marathon is a more serious event. People prepare for a long time to participate. In life, if you want to be a lawyer or a doctor you're going to have to go to college for years and work hard at your goals. Not everybody wants such a demanding career. That doesn't mean that you are less humane. Perhaps you want to help other people achieve. You could work at a daycare and influence children or serve food at a soup kitchen. When the Boston Marathon comes to town you stand on the sidelines and distribute water. Be a part of the event by encouraging those who are born to run.
Michele H
Favorite Book: Frozen Harvest
Currently Reading: A Siblings Revenge
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michele-h.html
Latest Review: House of Dads by June Gillam
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Michele H »

I enjoyed this book. The comparison of a marathon to life was one of my favorites of all of the authors experiences as noted in the book. As far as LA versus Boston, honestly I feel like LA is a more direct comparison. However, I feel that you could also look at it like In life we have different paths. These paths may lead us in One Direction or the other.
Joez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joez.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Joez »

I found the correlation between life and a marathon apt in the book There's a rooster in my bathroom! It's ultimately your choice how you live it but you would derive more meaning from it if you were all-accepting like the LA marathon
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This was my favorite chapter of the book! Life is a unique journey for every person. Everyone participates at their own pace, but we all reach the same finish line. It seems that the question would be: Am I running like an LA or a Boston marathoner? We are all running. So, how am I treating those who are with me in this race?
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Life is a Marathon and we make it either LA or Boston. If you want to keep to the norms then life's Boston and If you are trying out new things then life's Boston Marathon.

Return to “Discuss "There's a Rooster in My Bathroom" by Trish Ostroski”