Life Like an LA or Boston Marathon

Use this forum to discuss the April 2021 Book of the month, "There's a Rooster in My Bathroom: A Quest for Meaning in the Bathroom, the Boardroom and Beyond" by Trish Ostroski.
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Life Like an LA or Boston Marathon

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

At the start of the book, the author discusses her entry to the LA Marathon. She mentions that, unlike the Boston marathon, the LA marathon accepts everyone.

It seemed that she is also referencing that life being similar to a marathon. What's your opinion about the correlation she is making? Also, is life is more like the Boston marathon (only some need apply) or like the LA marathon (all are welcome)?

Personally, I feel life is more of an LA—where everyone is just as they are—but at times certain dynamics try to restrict it.
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Killers’ Therapist by Jonathan David

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

Life is similar to a marathon because your commitment to the race determines how you endure the distance and eventually cross the finish line. It is more like an LA marathon because you get to meet all sorts people with different reasons why they signed-up for the event. It is your race, so it is your pace.
Bridgetbruso99
Currently Reading: MY FRIEND Marilyn
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bridgetbruso99.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by Bridgetbruso99 »

I think that it depends on how you live your life. If you are uptight and restrictive, your life will be more like the Boston Marathon. If you live your life more free and open-minded, it is more like the LA Marathon. And it is your choice which one you pick.
Cwilde13
Currently Reading: Watership Down
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cwilde13.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Cwilde13 »

I think life SHOULD be like the LA marathon, with everyone being welcome regardless of race, gender, finances, etc. Unfortunately, life is too often like the Boston marathon. Thanks to cultural norms or societal standards, many diverse groups are discriminated against in a wide range of scenarios, from the job hiring process to the justice system. We, as humans, need to work harder to see past our differences and acknowledge that all people deserve the same respect and opportunities.
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

Life is definately a marathon. It is how we run that marathon that’s matters most. The LA marathon seems fitting because there is no limit to who we are as people, what we look like and how we accomplish our goals. We can be who we are and get to where we want to be . In the life of a marathon, we are fee to accomplish the goals we set for ourselves
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

sssns wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 01:10 Life is similar to a marathon because your commitment to the race determines how you endure the distance and eventually cross the finish line. It is more like an LA marathon because you get to meet all sorts people with different reasons why they signed-up for the event. It is your race, so it is your pace.
Interesting how we sign-up for marathons. I've read that some philosophies say that we also signed up for life as well—I don't remember myself doing that though :D .
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Cwilde13 wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 07:49 I think life SHOULD be like the LA marathon, with everyone being welcome regardless of race, gender, finances, etc. Unfortunately, life is too often like the Boston marathon. Thanks to cultural norms or societal standards, many diverse groups are discriminated against in a wide range of scenarios, from the job hiring process to the justice system. We, as humans, need to work harder to see past our differences and acknowledge that all people deserve the same respect and opportunities.
Yes, it often seems like life is more Boston marathon with stricter requirements. I think many are trying to ease up on that.
Guda Lydia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-guda-lydia.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Guda Lydia »

Life is definitely a marathon. Every goal we set to achieve has to start slow and build-up as things move along. Life also requires alot of endurance just like a marathon as one faces the best and worst of the weather (ups and downs) and a need to quit due to fatigue. However, it is all about pushing hard to get to the reward. Ideally, it should be like LA marathon where all are free and welcomed to join. However, some parts of the marathon turn to Boston, where only a select few are allowed to enter and participate. This is where we now have the societal rules, stereotyping and things of that nature.
Kenna Ridzi
Currently Reading: Iron Gold
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenna-ridzi.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by Kenna Ridzi »

I think life is more like the LA marathon until people try to make it like the Boston marathon because of their desires and the futures they pursue. Usually, in life, individuals have to make choices- they can choose to pursue more competitive paths, where not everyone is accepted like in the Boston marathon, or they can choose a more generic path in the LA marathon and be accepted. So I guess life is a little bit of both.
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

I really like the author's comparison of life with a marathon. I never thought about life that way, but I can see many similarities. Unfortunately, for some people, life is indeed a continuous struggle, just like a marathon. However, we should learn to run life's marathon at our own pace (like the LA one) and take a break if we need to.
Kaitlin Licato
Currently Reading: Shakespeare's Guide to Parenting
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlin-licato.html
Latest Review: The Sylvan Horn by Robert Redinger

Post by Kaitlin Licato »

I think life should be like the LA Marathon. Everyone is welcome, and everyone can try their best to succeed. Unfortunately, I think society dictates that life is like the Boston Marathon instead. Only the privileged few are allowed to run it. With the Boston Marathon, it isn't only hard work that allows them to enter either. Some can "win" their way in through contests or fundraise to be allowed in. It's an interesting comparison. Everyone should be able to succeed, but unfortunately, society dictates who will be privileged enough and who can get in without trying as hard (finding the loopholes).
Deval Sodha
Currently Reading: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Bookshelf Size: 372
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deval-sodha.html
Latest Review: Speaks for Itself by Jeffrey Paul Bailey.

Post by Deval Sodha »

PeterRabitt20 wrote: 01 Apr 2021, 16:26 At the start of the book, the author discusses her entry to the LA Marathon. She mentions that, unlike the Boston marathon, the LA marathon accepts everyone.

It seemed that she is also referencing that life being similar to a marathon. What's your opinion about the correlation she is making? Also, is life is more like the Boston marathon (only some need apply) or like the LA marathon (all are welcome)?

Personally, I feel life is more of an LA—where everyone is just as they are—but at times certain dynamics try to restrict it.
I think life is like LA marathon where everyone is welcome. All of us get opportunity to perform our best and win or atleast grab a commendable position for ourselves. Like our dedication to a marathon, we must do great efforts to make a difference in our life.
jaym_tan
Currently Reading: The Date Farm
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaym-tan.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by jaym_tan »

I think she definitely had a point when she compared life to that of a marathon. Although it seems like many people's lives can be compared to a Boston Marathon since there are always difficulties and struggle. However, it doesn't always have to be like a Boston marathon that's continuous, we should also go for the LA marathon which means we don't have to be in too much rush. In other words, we need to take things easy if you are struggling too much.
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

Life it is similar to marathon. One had to know their pace, keep it throughout and know when to sprint, and not look at other people's. But as of comparing this two marathons events, I don't quiet get it.
Susan Kihleng
Currently Reading: Just Give Me a Soft Place to Land
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-kihleng.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Susan Kihleng »

As a runner, I've often thought of life like a marathon and made references to that myself, so I did like the author's comparison in the book. I can see how life could be compared to both the LA or the Boston Marathon, but I like to imagine it is more like the LA Marathon - carefree, open to all, run how you like or can.

Return to “Discuss "There's a Rooster in My Bathroom" by Trish Ostroski”