Life Like an LA or Boston Marathon

Use this forum to discuss the April 2021 Book of the month, "There's a Rooster in My Bathroom: A Quest for Meaning in the Bathroom, the Boardroom and Beyond" by Trish Ostroski.
Wildflowertheorist
Currently Reading: Rise of the Savior
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wildflowertheorist.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Re: Life Like an LA or Boston Marathon

Post by Wildflowertheorist »

Life isn't an LA marathon as the world today does not let everyone to be the way they want to be. Not necessary that it should be Boston Marathon. Hopefully one day LA marathon is possible.
"When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Mwatu
Currently Reading: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwatu.html
Latest Review: Protectors of the Black Prince by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Mwatu »

I do agree that life is a marathon. I feel it oscillates between a seemingly Boston and other times LA marathon, depending on how much we limit or push ourselves. We start off as an LA marathon and depending on our goals, desires, biases and restrictions we find ourselves in Boston marathons. I think what motivates the Boston Marathons in our lives is what determines whether it is good or not.
Archaeoptery
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-archaeoptery.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Archaeoptery »

LA marathon is what I would go with. Somethings things will go towards Boston Marathon but that is with how people try to stop others for doing something.

Life being like a marathon is a good compares. You will have setbacks in both and will need to pace yourself.
Holly Fleming
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holly-fleming.html
Latest Review: Beyond by Ruth Mitchell

Post by Holly Fleming »

I think we choose whether our lives are like the LA Marathon or the Boston Marathon. We decide who we let into our lives and how we interact with others. I like to believe that I live my life like the "all are welcome" LA Marathon; that I am open-minded, approachable, and empathetic.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I like the simile of life being like a marathon. You see so many different people with different goals. Some are there just for the party at the beginning and then leave, some help each other, some are alone. They all face the challenge in different ways.
Buk Nerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buk-nerd.html
Latest Review: Ribzkniks by Y M Georges

Post by Buk Nerd »

There's a reason why some call life a rat race, so I believe that it certainly can be compared to a marathon. In my opinion, life is more like the LA marathon. There are different people from different walks of life going at their own pace with the sole purpose of trying to make it to the finish line.
"Literature is the most agreeable way of ignoring life." - Fernando Pessoa :techie-studyinggray:
S P
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s-p.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe

Post by S P »

Life is definitely like a marathon - long, hard work and (if you're successful) incredibly rewarding. The idealistic part of me wants to say that life is the LA marathon, because no matter how hard you try to restrict or oppress, ultimately all sorts of people are born into this world and experience life. However, some people choose to isolate themselves in the Boston marathon life equivalent, where they only allow their version of "elite" to enter. I suppose both versions of life exist side by side, and it's a personal choice as to which marathon you run.
Hiruni Hansika
Currently Reading: The Midnight Library
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-hansika.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Hiruni Hansika »

Life is indeed like a marathon. We all run towards a goal in our own pace. I guess people try to show it is a LA marathon but truly it is a Boston marathon. Not everyone is accepted by everyone. But it is what should happen in real life.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Life is indeed a marathon. You can choose the pace as well as the path you want to tread along. Occasionally you will have to go along already made or chosen pathways. Yet you cannot stop at any moment, because the rest of people or the time won't stop for no one. If you can endure it and hold yourself together till the end, you will finish it. What is important is not winning the race, but finishing it by being persistent in your run
Sushan Ekanayake
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star

sssns wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 01:10 Life is similar to a marathon because your commitment to the race determines how you endure the distance and eventually cross the finish line. It is more like an LA marathon because you get to meet all sorts people with different reasons why they signed-up for the event. It is your race, so it is your pace.
That is quite true. Seemingly the author has chosen the correct marathon, and also chosen it to convey a great lesson for her readers. Unlike Boston marathon, LA marathon is not about winning, but about going on. It is same as life. You don't have to always win. But you have to go on. You will meet various people who have different purposes. They will be with you for various periods of times for various reasons. But what will go on is your life, same as the LA marathon
Sushan Ekanayake

Bridgetbruso99 wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 01:27 I think that it depends on how you live your life. If you are uptight and restrictive, your life will be more like the Boston Marathon. If you live your life more free and open-minded, it is more like the LA Marathon. And it is your choice which one you pick.
You have related it very well. Yes. LA marathon is free. You don't have any rules other than its starting time. So it is more like a free life.

Boston marathon has its rules including the route, the dress and so on (as far as I know). If you are a person of law and order, your life will be similar to Boston marathon. So it is a good comparison, and well done
Sushan Ekanayake

Cwilde13 wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 07:49 I think life SHOULD be like the LA marathon, with everyone being welcome regardless of race, gender, finances, etc. Unfortunately, life is too often like the Boston marathon. Thanks to cultural norms or societal standards, many diverse groups are discriminated against in a wide range of scenarios, from the job hiring process to the justice system. We, as humans, need to work harder to see past our differences and acknowledge that all people deserve the same respect and opportunities.
That is another way to take the concept in. Opportunities should be equal for everyone, like the LA marathon. But there are practical problems when we try to take in each and everyone in everything, because not all are skilled or knowledgeable equally. LA marathon is open for all, but it is lacking any order or an ultimate goal. In contrast, Boston marathon is more like any other sport and it has its goal and the rewards. So, though it is good if everyone can have similar opportunities in life, we have to think twice what it will do the order or certain activities
Sushan Ekanayake

Suzer6440 xyz wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 08:33 Life is definately a marathon. It is how we run that marathon that’s matters most. The LA marathon seems fitting because there is no limit to who we are as people, what we look like and how we accomplish our goals. We can be who we are and get to where we want to be . In the life of a marathon, we are fee to accomplish the goals we set for ourselves
I agree. Boston marathon has a single goal, and its participants have to pursue that single goal. But life is not like that. Though all of us run this marathon together, we have different paces and different goals. So there is no way for the life to be like Boston marathon, but as LA marathon, where all run together, in various paces, in various ways, to achieve various goals, in their own time.
Sushan Ekanayake

Guda LM wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 15:17 Life is definitely a marathon. Every goal we set to achieve has to start slow and build-up as things move along. Life also requires alot of endurance just like a marathon as one faces the best and worst of the weather (ups and downs) and a need to quit due to fatigue. However, it is all about pushing hard to get to the reward. Ideally, it should be like LA marathon where all are free and welcomed to join. However, some parts of the marathon turn to Boston, where only a select few are allowed to enter and participate. This is where we now have the societal rules, stereotyping and things of that nature.
It is said that what is built slowly will last long. A marathon has a slow progression. You should endure for a long time to see its results. Life is same as that. There are ways and means to achieve things quickly, but they last for only a short time period. So it is good to get things done in the correct way, though it takes some time.

But there are occasions we see that not everyone are accepted, like Boston marathon. But you don't have to be disheartened. You will always find LA marathons and you can run along with people like you, towards your own goals, at your own pace.
Sushan Ekanayake

kridz21 wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 19:00 I think life is more like the LA marathon until people try to make it like the Boston marathon because of their desires and the futures they pursue. Usually, in life, individuals have to make choices- they can choose to pursue more competitive paths, where not everyone is accepted like in the Boston marathon, or they can choose a more generic path in the LA marathon and be accepted. So I guess life is a little bit of both.
There are things in the life that need rules and some order, like Boston marathon. Otherwise it will appear like chaos and also it will hinder achieving the expected goals. People make rules and regulations not to make anyone miserable, but to make life easy and more practical (in most occasions. There are occasions that people make rules for their selfish purposes).

So what you have to keep in mind is, if you are okay with being a bit restricted, you can choose a pathway like the Boston marathon. But if you prefer a free life style, then there will be LA marathons for you everywhere

Return to “Discuss "There's a Rooster in My Bathroom" by Trish Ostroski”