Life Like an LA or Boston Marathon

Use this forum to discuss the April 2021 Book of the month, "There's a Rooster in My Bathroom: A Quest for Meaning in the Bathroom, the Boardroom and Beyond" by Trish Ostroski.
JB3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jb3.html
Latest Review: Shadow Game by A.M. Adair

Re: Life Like an LA or Boston Marathon

Post by JB3 »

Life is more of a marathon than a affluent in that life will be long. By planning for the long haul you can achieve your goals that you set for yourself. Instead of thinking that everything needs to be done right now it is better to realize that your whe life is ahead of you and to take your time and enjoy life.
Foluso Falaye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-foluso-falaye.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Foluso Falaye »

Just like Boston and LA have different levels of acceptance, you can choose to make your life what you wish. You may decide to be close-minded or open-minded. It's a thing of choice.
Foluso Falaye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-foluso-falaye.html

Post by Foluso Falaye »

PeterRabitt20 wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 10:15
sssns wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 01:10 Life is similar to a marathon because your commitment to the race determines how you endure the distance and eventually cross the finish line. It is more like an LA marathon because you get to meet all sorts people with different reasons why they signed-up for the event. It is your race, so it is your pace.
Interesting how we sign-up for marathons. I've read that some philosophies say that we also signed up for life as well—I don't remember myself doing that though :D .
Exactly, signing up for life seems like a decision I wasn't asked to make at the beginning. However, after realizing I'm alive, I chose to continue living. I sign up for it everyday I get up. It could be seen as a blessing and a curse.
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Folushour wrote: 19 May 2021, 12:40
PeterRabitt20 wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 10:15
sssns wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 01:10 Life is similar to a marathon because your commitment to the race determines how you endure the distance and eventually cross the finish line. It is more like an LA marathon because you get to meet all sorts people with different reasons why they signed-up for the event. It is your race, so it is your pace.
Interesting how we sign-up for marathons. I've read that some philosophies say that we also signed up for life as well—I don't remember myself doing that though :D .
Exactly, signing up for life seems like a decision I wasn't asked to make at the beginning. However, after realizing I'm alive, I chose to continue living. I sign up for it everyday I get up. It could be seen as a blessing and a curse.
Well said! I read that in some cultures (or myths) we did get a choice to either signup for life or not. I read that somewhere but unfortunately can't remember the source.
If we agreed we were born, if we disagreed we weren't born. Either way I don't remember that agreement :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bernard Udofia
Favorite Author: Biz Stone
Currently Reading: Things a Little Bird Told Me: Confessions of the Creative Mind
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bernard-udofia.html
Latest Review: The Pro-Achievement Principle by Dr. Deborah Bright
fav_author_id: 72309

Post by Bernard Udofia »

I think I align more with the LA marathon. The Boston marathon just isn't reflective of what I see in my everyday lives. In the LA marathon, since everyone is accepted, you'll see people who are fit and athletic and you'll also meet 200, 300-pounders who want to lose weight. Some others you'll see are just there for the pictures and the food. This is a more full-picture view of life.
MBerretta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mberretta.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by MBerretta »

I think comparing life to a marathon is very thought-provoking. We are all aiming for the same finish line (death) and we will all cross it at different times. The space between the starting line (birth) and finish line (death) is your life and it's unique for each person.
I view us as the LA marathon. We are all allowed to attend no matter how seasoned/conditioned you are. Some of us will have a better time than others.
Ochieng Omuodo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Intrepid Brotherhood
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ochieng-omuodo.html
Latest Review: Endgame by William Reed

Post by Ochieng Omuodo »

I can see what the author is saying when she describes the L.A. marathon as akin to life itself: Different types of people running the marathon reflect diversity in life; Each mile represents a milestone similar to the way you have personal objectives in life; and running through different neighbourhoods can be a colorful, rich cultural experience because you can take time to notice. In contrast, from what I know, the Boston marathon is strictly for people with excellent marathoning ability. You have to keep focused on your time and anything else is a distraction. Unless you run for a charitable cause, of course.

However, life is an experience of both. We may want it to be like the L.A. marathon, but the pressures of the Boston one are always snapping at our heels.
Shreya Mishra 3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreya-mishra-3.html

Post by Shreya Mishra 3 »

Life is definitely similar to a marathon . It's your life , your marathon - you decide your pace, amount of hardwork to reach that finish line. I think the correlation is very interesting and unique. It is somewhat difficult to choose between the two marathons because at some points life seems familiar to both the marathons.
MarcellaM
Currently Reading: Grey heart
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-a.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by MarcellaM »

I think life is more like the LA marathon. Everyone has a chance in life no matter what they do with it. This will later determine if it is going to be like the Boston Marathon at another stage.
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Kennedy NC »

Indeed, I think that life is most times a correlation of both, as everyone has a free pass and yet, most times internally, we do try to restrict ourselves in our mind. Indeed, even for people with special disabilities or incapacitation, if they can shake off the feelings of self-defeat and victimhood incidental to their condition, you find that they compete favourably, and sometimes better, than their counterparts!
Mercy Osmond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-osmond.html
Latest Review: The Trials of Uwe, Parts I, II and III by Steven L Masia

Post by Mercy Osmond »

I think Life is both LA and Boston marathon. Their are some places you will find yourself, you will feel accepted and welcome. While their are some places you will find yourself, you will be looked down upon, making you feel out of place.
Pearl Hijabi
Favorite Author: H M Irwing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-hijabi.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 1986

Post by Pearl Hijabi »

I agree with author's reference of life to a marathon. It should be more like LA marathon where everyone is welcome and open minded on your own pace. But there are people who are struggling with the restrictions of Boston marathon as well.
photosynthesis19
Currently Reading: A Room of One's Own
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-photosynthesis19.html
Latest Review: The Middle Reaches (Episodes 1-8) by L. Andrew Cooper

Post by photosynthesis19 »

I really like that the author uses the life-is-a-marathon analogy in the first chapter of the book. I agree with her view that life is just like a marathon: everyone goes through life at their own pace, some run further than others, and the people we meet along the way stay with us for a limited amount of time - some of them longer than others, some of them with more impact on us than others.

Personally, I think that life is like an LA marathon but not everyone who signs up gets to run the exact same route. For example, women tend to encounter the glass ceiling in their career, ethnical and racial minorities encounter far more discrimination in society, and immigrants and refugees are not granted the same rights as citizens of a country. Because of these differences, it feels like life is open to everyone - like the LA marathon - but for certain people, shortcuts open up during the race while for others, even the regular route gets closed off.
Natalia Nazeem
Favorite Book: The Amulet of Samarkand
Currently Reading: We are Volhuire
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalia-nazeem.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Natalia Nazeem »

I agree with your statement in the sense that life is like the LA marathon, where everyone is welcome - admitting that some people don't deserve to ' enter life' is a scary, uncomfortable thought. However, I disagree with the idea of life being like a marathon, or a race - there is no set path, and whatever finish line that you set for yourself (be it a particular goal or ambition) can change at the drop of a hat. Furthermore, not everyone starts the race with the same capabilities, talents, or resources. Life is messy, confusing, and takes you through a series of twists and turns where you end up taking two steps back for every step forward - but it's all we have.
Sohana Hasan
Favorite Author: Sarah J. Maas
Favorite Book: shadow and bones
Currently Reading: The Beautiful
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sohana-hasan.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick
fav_author_id: 2719

Post by Sohana Hasan »

I've never been to LA. But, based on the handful of memoirs I've read from people who succeeded there, I'd say that it might be a mixture of two. Perhaps, while Los Angeles invites all that enter, it does not always allow them all to excel.

Return to “Discuss "There's a Rooster in My Bathroom" by Trish Ostroski”