Meaning of life

Use this forum to discuss the April 2021 Book of the month, "There's a Rooster in My Bathroom: A Quest for Meaning in the Bathroom, the Boardroom and Beyond" by Trish Ostroski.
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Meaning of life

Post by cd20 »

Kim Jek wrote: 11 May 2021, 13:26 I believe the author has a right to her viewpoint. She also expresses strong belief about other issues as well. For instance, she expresses her feelings about the rooster which she took diligent care of till it died. As for me though, I believe that the meaning of life goes beyond creating, it encompasses much more.
You are right, the author has every right to her viewpoint. It is her book and she can say what she wants. I do believe that part of life is creating, but like you, it also encompasses so much more. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
cd20
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl

Post by cd20 »

Manish987 wrote: 12 May 2021, 00:15 I definitely agree with the author's statement that meaning of life is to create. Just imagine how would you feel if something very original comes out of you. It can be book, idea, invention, game, device or software or anything that till now has not existed in the world but came to light only because of you. Trust me it would be one of the best experience that you are going to ever have in your life. The purpose and meaning of life lies in creating something new.
We are constantly creating things, posts, emails, texts, new memories, etc., so I do agree that part of the meaning of life is to create. I am not sure that everything we create is new, or that it even has to be. It would be wonderful to create some new invention or book that no one else has, but I do not believe that is everyone's purpose. Thank you for sharing your perspective.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Why in the World Are We Here?
Bookshelf Size: 2400
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Noda21k wrote: 03 Apr 2021, 21:41 I agree with the author, but only if we don't use the most literal definition of "create." Some would take that to mean we must procreate or we must create something solid. I don't think that is the case. I think that if we even just create happiness in others, that's the meaning of life. You don't have to create something tangible, you just have to affect one other person's life.
That's very wise. I was going to say some people are creators and others are not. But you're right, we all create, whether it's little ones, art, ideas, or smiles. What a lovely thought, thank you.
Charlene Wooten
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlene-wooten.html
Latest Review: My Special Day in Jasper,Texas USA by Jermaine Kenyatta

Post by Charlene Wooten »

I can see how one meaning of life would be to create. However, I think with so many lives, there must be multiple types of meaning for life. For some people meaning is derived from creation, for others inspiration, or caretaking.
Kiara Mae Gutlay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kiara-mae-gutlay.html
Latest Review: Street Sweeper by Paul Drewitt

Post by Kiara Mae Gutlay »

Yes I agree that the meaning of life is to create, to create purpose out of our mere existence, to create joy, goodness, journey and inflicting emotions. The ability to create makes us human because it is only this way that we are able to explore ever thing that is given upon us.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Charlene Wooten wrote: 13 May 2021, 20:49 I can see how one meaning of life would be to create. However, I think with so many lives, there must be multiple types of meaning for life. For some people meaning is derived from creation, for others inspiration, or caretaking.
Yes, one meaning would be to create, but I believe life is more than that too. We are constantly creating, but as you said, some people find their meaning from other things as well. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Kiara Mae Gutlay wrote: 14 May 2021, 01:54 Yes I agree that the meaning of life is to create, to create purpose out of our mere existence, to create joy, goodness, journey and inflicting emotions. The ability to create makes us human because it is only this way that we are able to explore ever thing that is given upon us.
I agree, we are constantly creating and that is part of the reason we exist. I do not think we can exist without creating something. I do believe there is more to just creating, but it is part of the meaning of life. Thank you for sharing your thoughts :D
farmar43
Currently Reading: Baptism & Other Rituals
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by farmar43 »

I found the meaning of my life when I discovered reading and writing. It became a kind of religion for me. I don't know if Life in general has any meaning other than the unique expressions and relationships of all life forms that create a kind of cosmic library owned by? I guess that would be God.
Sara chhawniwala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sara-chhawniwala.html
Latest Review: Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of Expat Life by Jim Santos

Post by Sara chhawniwala »

I agree with the author. Life would be meaningless without purpose. The purpose is to create. Be it relationships with others, creating something for ourself or just creating a better life for our family. Life depends on creation of things both big and small.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

farmar43 wrote: 16 May 2021, 07:11 I found the meaning of my life when I discovered reading and writing. It became a kind of religion for me. I don't know if Life in general has any meaning other than the unique expressions and relationships of all life forms that create a kind of cosmic library owned by? I guess that would be God.
I think part of our meaning of life is to create because we are constantly creating something. What do you see as your meaning of life? I do like that you feel like you found the meaning of life when you discovered reading and writing. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Sara chhawniwala wrote: 16 May 2021, 08:52 I agree with the author. Life would be meaningless without purpose. The purpose is to create. Be it relationships with others, creating something for ourself or just creating a better life for our family. Life depends on creation of things both big and small.
I also believe that part of our meaning of life is to create. I agree that we are constantly creating something, rather tangible or intangible. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
MarcellaM
Currently Reading: Grey heart
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-a.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by MarcellaM »

I agree with the author. Everything there is in life is definitely as a result of what man creates and this gives meaning to life. Man has a big influence on what goes on around him because everything is as a result of his creation.
dennisbragra
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dennisbragra.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by dennisbragra »

if by quoting the creation story the author means procreation then i would respectively disagree. Because interactions between humans plays a big role in the growth of modern society and with that humans are tasked with creating an harmoniuos environment for all to live in
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Shillah A wrote: 18 May 2021, 06:35 I agree with the author. Everything there is in life is definitely as a result of what man creates and this gives meaning to life. Man has a big influence on what goes on around him because everything is as a result of his creation.
I had not thought of it that way either, but yes, everything is a result of something that has been created. Thank you for pointing that out. I appreciate you commenting and sharing your thoughts.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

dennisbragra wrote: 18 May 2021, 09:08 if by quoting the creation story the author means procreation then i would respectively disagree. Because interactions between humans plays a big role in the growth of modern society and with that humans are tasked with creating an harmoniuos environment for all to live in
When I very first read her comment, I thought she did mean to procreate, but I don't actually think that is what she meant, or all she meant. We are constantly creating something. I wish everyone felt that humans were "tasked with creating a harmonious environment for all to live in" because things would be so much better! I see your point. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Return to “Discuss "There's a Rooster in My Bathroom" by Trish Ostroski”