Meaning of life

Use this forum to discuss the April 2021 Book of the month, "There's a Rooster in My Bathroom: A Quest for Meaning in the Bathroom, the Boardroom and Beyond" by Trish Ostroski.
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Meaning of life

Post by cd20 »

The author states that the meaning of life is to create. Do you agree with this, why or why not? As an interesting aside she also uses the six days of creation (discussed in last month's book forum) as an example of how God created in six days.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
Michael Jerry_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michaeljerry309.html
Latest Review: A Big Blue Boat by Susea Spray

Post by Michael Jerry_ »

To be very honest, iv always believed that the purpose of life is simply to live and what you choose to do while living is up to you and not up to any external forces. So I don’t agree with Trish Ostroski but I do see her point and I understand it but it wasn’t convincing enough to win me over. I enjoyed There’s a Rooster in My Bathroom nontheless.
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I agree with the author, that the meaning of life is to create. It is up to man to influence his environment and change it according to his needs.
cd20
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl

Post by cd20 »

Michaeljerry309 wrote: 03 Apr 2021, 02:11 To be very honest, iv always believed that the purpose of life is simply to live and what you choose to do while living is up to you and not up to any external forces. So I don’t agree with Trish Ostroski but I do see her point and I understand it but it wasn’t convincing enough to win me over. I enjoyed There’s a Rooster in My Bathroom nontheless.
That's an interesting perspective, obviously, we are to live our lives, but isn't there, or shouldn't there be more than that? What is the point of living our lives? To live it well? Or make an impact? Or just to live it?
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
Jessica Harrison 1
Currently Reading: Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessica-harrison-1.html
Latest Review: My Only Sunshine by Lou Dischler

Post by Jessica Harrison 1 »

cd20 wrote: 03 Apr 2021, 08:46
Michaeljerry309 wrote: 03 Apr 2021, 02:11 To be very honest, iv always believed that the purpose of life is simply to live and what you choose to do while living is up to you and not up to any external forces. So I don’t agree with Trish Ostroski but I do see her point and I understand it but it wasn’t convincing enough to win me over. I enjoyed There’s a Rooster in My Bathroom nontheless.
That's an interesting perspective, obviously, we are to live our lives, but isn't there, or shouldn't there be more than that? What is the point of living our lives? To live it well? Or make an impact? Or just to live it?
I don't think there necessarily is a big giant meaning to everything in life, or life itself. But I think that kind of makes it fun? We have free agency to choose what we want to do with our lives! That's what makes it exciting- the endless opportunities.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

markodim721 wrote: 03 Apr 2021, 07:59 I agree with the author, that the meaning of life is to create. It is up to man to influence his environment and change it according to his needs.
Is it just to create or is there more to life than that? What do you mean by "It is up to man to influence his environment and change it according to his needs"? Are we only to influence our environment according to our own needs and desires?
jaym_tan
Currently Reading: The Date Farm
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaym-tan.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by jaym_tan »

The meaning of life really seems to be all about creating our own purposes in life. I agree on the author with this, every system and pursuits that we put in place were all done by us so we can create something out of the life we are living.
maggi3
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: Paper Doll by Caitlin Strommen

Post by maggi3 »

I don’t believe that there’s necessarily one intrinsic meaning in life. I believe that each person’s life has an individual meaning, which they have to find or create for themselves. So, I guess, in a roundabout way, I do agree with the author in that I would say the meaning of life is to create one’s own meaning in the things we do and the lives we live.
Pronouns: they/them

:gay-rainbow:
Kaitlin Licato
Currently Reading: Shakespeare's Guide to Parenting
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlin-licato.html
Latest Review: The Sylvan Horn by Robert Redinger

Post by Kaitlin Licato »

I agree with the author, but only if we don't use the most literal definition of "create." Some would take that to mean we must procreate or we must create something solid. I don't think that is the case. I think that if we even just create happiness in others, that's the meaning of life. You don't have to create something tangible, you just have to affect one other person's life.
Deval Sodha
Currently Reading: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Bookshelf Size: 372
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deval-sodha.html
Latest Review: Speaks for Itself by Jeffrey Paul Bailey.

Post by Deval Sodha »

cd20 wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 14:33 The author states that the meaning of life is to create. Do you agree with this, why or why not? As an interesting aside she also uses the six days of creation (discussed in last month's book forum) as an example of how God created in six days.
I truly believe that we should take life as it comes moment by moment. Life is not predefinedand ofcourse it is a big surprise. There are very few things that we can control or create in life and yes for these things we can create best for ourselves.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

jaym_tan wrote: 03 Apr 2021, 14:07 The meaning of life really seems to be all about creating our own purposes in life. I agree on the author with this, every system and pursuits that we put in place were all done by us so we can create something out of the life we are living.
Thanks for sharing your perspective. I like that you said, "we can create something out of the life we are living." I believe we are not here just for ourselves. We are to make something of ourselves and we have a better purpose than just living for ourselves.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

maggi3 wrote: 03 Apr 2021, 15:13 I don’t believe that there’s necessarily one intrinsic meaning in life. I believe that each person’s life has an individual meaning, which they have to find or create for themselves. So, I guess, in a roundabout way, I do agree with the author in that I would say the meaning of life is to create one’s own meaning in the things we do and the lives we live.
Thanks for sharing your perspective. I do believe we were all created for a purpose and that each person's person may not be exactly the same. As a Christian, I believe that we are put here to tell others about God, but that is not my sole purpose. I am also a teacher, a mother, a youth leader, etc, so I have a variety of roles that encompass my purpose.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Noda21k wrote: 03 Apr 2021, 21:41 I agree with the author, but only if we don't use the most literal definition of "create." Some would take that to mean we must procreate or we must create something solid. I don't think that is the case. I think that if we even just create happiness in others, that's the meaning of life. You don't have to create something tangible, you just have to affect one other person's life.
Thank you for sharing your perspective. I agree that we should not use just the literal definition of "create." I think we are all designed for a purpose, but I never thought about it as to "create." I don't think our purpose is to necessarily create happiness in others because we are not responsible for other people's happiness, but we are not to live for ourselves either. I agree that we are to affect one another's lives.
Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: My Ups And Downs by Sam Barder

Post by Eutoc »

I'd go with the author here. After the six days of creation, the remainder of earthly creation was left to man. The meaning of life is to create isn't limited to tangible things though. It could go with emotions, material things, order, societal norms, etc
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: My Ups And Downs by Sam Barder

Post by Eutoc »

Irrespective of how you choose to live, there's always an iota of creation in what man does. It shouldn't necessarily be to conform to influence of external forces
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Return to “Discuss "There's a Rooster in My Bathroom" by Trish Ostroski”