WHAT LESSONS DID YOU LEARN FROM THE BOOK?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2021 Book of the month, "There's a Rooster in My Bathroom: A Quest for Meaning in the Bathroom, the Boardroom and Beyond" by Trish Ostroski.
John Owen
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Baggage
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-owen.html
Latest Review: Rivers of the Black Moon by Andrew Goliszek
2024 Reading Goal: 52
2024 Goal Completion: 115%

WHAT LESSONS DID YOU LEARN FROM THE BOOK?

Post by John Owen »

What are some of the lessons that you learnt from the book? I learnt from the author's regrets about lost opportunities to never let opportunities go.
Harmony in chaos. It's all a matter of perspective.
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

I liked when Trish was talking about the marathon. She said, "Some lessons from the marathon that also apply to the marathon of life are to dedicate yourself-and prepare for the journey. Sometimes others will be there on the way, and sometimes you are on your own. either way, make the ost of it, and ultimately it is your own journey." It's such a true statement and one that stuck with me.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I loved her acceptance of everyone in the marathon. They were there for different reasons, and they had different levels of success, but that was all ok with the author. So often in life, we forget that everyone is running their own race, and that is ok.
S P
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s-p.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe

Post by S P »

I didn't really enjoy the book, to be honest, but at the very least I feel like it encouraged me to travel a little - so if I learned anything, it was that I should see as much of the world as I can!
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Past Speaks by Geoff McCue

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

Things can break of course, but this does not mean that one is necessarily broken. You can bounce back; what great lessons one can learn from a disaster. (Kindle Locations 144-145)
This quote from the book is my takeaway. It is an inspiring and timely reminder that the difficulties in life intend to make us better. We falter at times, but we can always get up and continue with the journey.
Crystal Velasquez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crystal-velasquez.html
Latest Review: A Script For Aspiring Women Leaders by Mark Villareal

Post by Crystal Velasquez »

S P wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 09:44 I didn't really enjoy the book, to be honest, but at the very least I feel like it encouraged me to travel a little - so if I learned anything, it was that I should see as much of the world as I can!
I agree. I've always wanted to travel and do more, so while I didn't really enjoy it as much as others seemed to, I did get a further push to travel (unfortunately during a pandemic) and to add to my bucket list.
John Owen

Post by John Owen »

cd20 wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 12:35 I liked when Trish was talking about the marathon. She said, "Some lessons from the marathon that also apply to the marathon of life are to dedicate yourself-and prepare for the journey. Sometimes others will be there on the way, and sometimes you are on your own. either way, make the ost of it, and ultimately it is your own journey." It's such a true statement and one that stuck with me.
Wow, this alludes to the real life that we live. However, we should always see that all times we are on our own- it's either us or us. People will only chip in occasionally to help.
John Owen

Post by John Owen »

teacherjh wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 11:30 I loved her acceptance of everyone in the marathon. They were there for different reasons, and they had different levels of success, but that was all ok with the author. So often in life, we forget that everyone is running their own race, and that is ok.
Very true. People are there for different reasons. We should accept everyone for who they are.
John Owen

Post by John Owen »

S P wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 09:44 I didn't really enjoy the book, to be honest, but at the very least I feel like it encouraged me to travel a little - so if I learned anything, it was that I should see as much of the world as I can!
I like it that you're honest but at least you've gotten something out of the book.
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

John Owen wrote: 30 Apr 2021, 04:54
cd20 wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 12:35 I liked when Trish was talking about the marathon. She said, "Some lessons from the marathon that also apply to the marathon of life are to dedicate yourself and prepare for the journey. Sometimes others will be there on the way, and sometimes you are on your own. Either way, make the most of it, and ultimately it is your own journey." It's such a true statement and one that stuck with me.
Wow, this alludes to the real life that we live. However, we should always see that all times we are on our own- it's either us or us. People will only chip in occasionally to help.
This does allude to the life we live in. I do not agree that we are always on our own. I believe we find people who will be in it for the long road with us. For me, that is my husband, one of my sisters, and my best friend. I know I can count on them through anything. I hope the Lord blesses you with that kind of people as well.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
Cynthia Olyy
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-olyy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cynthia Olyy »

I also learned the need of allowing opportunities to get lost. On the other hand, my heart is not shut to the truth that her unemployment made her reinvent herself. It's a win-win, and that's a lot to take in.
Joyful17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k17.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Talking (war) Dog by Daniel Tierney

Post by Joyful17 »

I learnt that life is about resilience. Even when her colleague thought that she wouldn't be laid off, she was. Yet, she did not become bitter.
jaym_tan
Currently Reading: The Date Farm
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaym-tan.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by jaym_tan »

I learned that it is never too late to bounce back from whatever broke you. While it may take some time to feel alright, it's true that not even the pain will last forever. There is always something we can learn from it.
Karmon Kuhn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karmon-kuhn.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Karmon Kuhn »

Although I've heard the concept of beginning being the most important part of a process, I still felt very inspired by the first chapter of the book. Her experience was very relatable, and I think that her expression of the number of different personalities and people who participated in that marathon with her spoke volumes about our capabilities as individuals. There isn't just one type of person who can successfully complete a task or follow a dream, and I really appreciated her perspective on the reality that if we want something to happen in our lives we have to begin and we can at the very least begin.
Caroline Anne Richmond
Currently Reading: The Little Book of Bad Intentions
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caroline-anne-richmond.html
Latest Review: Living in a Two-Faced Jungle by Michael A Powell

Post by Caroline Anne Richmond »

I also enjoyed the message about not letting opportunities pass you by. Even if they seem scary or come with some risk it is important to take opportunities and not live with regret.

Return to “Discuss "There's a Rooster in My Bathroom" by Trish Ostroski”