What do you think of the different prayers?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through" by Jeff Meyer.
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: What do you think of the different prayers?

Post by cd20 »

Ahbed Nadir wrote: 19 May 2021, 01:35 Despite my thoughts on this, I somewhat agree with the author as the various prayers could be of help to someone new to the faith. The repetitiveness of the activity could cause a new believer to be better used to praying and as such get comfortable talking to God. This could be a great use of the daily examen and the morning prayers.
That is also true. Those who do not know how to pray might be looking for someone to give them an idea of when and how to pray. Although, again, the ultimate example would be Jesus Himself.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
cd20
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl

Post by cd20 »

Ahbed Nadir wrote: 19 May 2021, 01:39 An important part of prayer in which I would agree with the author is with the importance of memorizing scripture. If you have no knowledge of the word of God you won't be able to stand against evil forces. One must always be reading and memorizing the scripture so they can have a good relationship with God and get to know Him better.
I agree that it is important to memorize scripture, but it is very difficult for me. I want to memorize them word for word, when I do better at the gist of it. I also agree that those who have no knowledge of scripture will not be able to stand against the devil's schemes. Thanks again for commenting.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
B Sheila Holt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: One Christmas Eve
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-b-sheila-holt.html
Latest Review: Open Heart by Akil Taher

Post by B Sheila Holt »

I agree with the idea of the walking prayers. I pray all through my day. I don’t have a set time or set way to talk to God. I just “talk”. He is there and hears me. Then when I am still and quiet, I can meditate on the Word and IN the Word and have different prayers. He hears and responds to all of them. God just welcomes the fellowship, the relationship and the constant communication.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Sheilaread wrote: 20 May 2021, 03:17 I agree with the idea of the walking prayers. I pray all through my day. I don’t have a set time or set way to talk to God. I just “talk”. He is there and hears me. Then when I am still and quiet, I can meditate on the Word and IN the Word and have different prayers. He hears and responds to all of them. God just welcomes the fellowship, the relationship and the constant communication.
Yes, I agree. God does hear and respond to them, whether it is the way we want or not, He does respond. I love the way you explained this. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Bernard Udofia
Favorite Author: Biz Stone
Currently Reading: Things a Little Bird Told Me: Confessions of the Creative Mind
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bernard-udofia.html
Latest Review: The Pro-Achievement Principle by Dr. Deborah Bright
fav_author_id: 72309

Post by Bernard Udofia »

I don't think there's a one-size-fits-all formula to prayer, as long as we do pray. For some it could be an hour a day, for others it could be 3 hours every other day. People have different life schedules and we all need to factor this in to create our own unique prayer schedule.
mchidoori
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mchidoori »

Prayer is power. we pray for different scenarios in our lives . For example there is prayer for when we are eating, prayer when travelling , prayer for protection etc. The different prayers show the diversity of the author.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Bernard Udofia wrote: 22 May 2021, 03:40 I don't think there's a one-size-fits-all formula to prayer, as long as we do pray. For some it could be an hour a day, for others it could be 3 hours every other day. People have different life schedules and we all need to factor this in to create our own unique prayer schedule.
I totally agree with you. The point is to be in communication with God and we all have different ways we are comfortable in doing that. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

mchidoori wrote: 22 May 2021, 06:17 Prayer is power. we pray for different scenarios in our lives . For example there is prayer for when we are eating, prayer when travelling , prayer for protection etc. The different prayers show the diversity of the author.
Prayer is very powerful. You are right, we do (and should) pray for the different scenarios in our lives. We each have to determine the amount of time and attention we want to give to prayer. Thank you for sharing your perspective.
Oyedeji Okikioluwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 964
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orizon.html
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi

Post by Oyedeji Okikioluwa »

I believe prayer is an essential key in my life and I admire the author's illustration of prayer. However, for me the divine reading and prayer walking goes well for my heart and mind. It also helps me to focus on the day's goal.
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2322
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

Ahbed Nadir wrote: 19 May 2021, 01:37 I usually have a very busy day so when I have the chance, I simply pray to God under my breath, talking to Him as I work or go about my activities and this helps as well. Great take on this.
I do this. When I was studying in a religious school, we always had prayer time at least 4 times a day. Now that I work, I do not follow the usual routine.
Some anxious people are embarrassed to voice their thoughts, so they find comfort in praying alone while meditating.
I sometimes write my prayer request and drop them into a prayer box. When it gets too confidential, I burn the letter.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Orizon wrote: 23 May 2021, 00:47 I believe prayer is an essential key in my life and I admire the author's illustration of prayer. However, for me the divine reading and prayer walking goes well for my heart and mind. It also helps me to focus on the day's goal.
I also believe prayer is an essential key in my life. I do admire the author his illustration of prayer, but what works for him might not work for everyone. Thanks for sharing your perspective.
Karissa Schilling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karissa-schilling.html
Latest Review: Lessons For Kids to Learn by D.L.Kelly

Post by Karissa Schilling »

When it comes to prayer, more doesn't always mean better. I can't help but feel that doing all of these prayers daily would lead to mindless praying, which is almost worse than not praying at all. I think the amount to which a person prays in a day should be natural and not ritual, otherwise it loses genuine feeling.
Oyedeji Okikioluwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 964
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orizon.html

Post by Oyedeji Okikioluwa »

cd20 wrote: 23 May 2021, 14:17
Orizon wrote: 23 May 2021, 00:47 I believe prayer is an essential key in my life and I admire the author's illustration of prayer. However, for me the divine reading and prayer walking goes well for my heart and mind. It also helps me to focus on the day's goal.
I also believe prayer is an essential key in my life. I do admire the author his illustration of prayer, but what works for him might not work for everyone. Thanks for sharing your perspective.
I agree with you, What works for you might not for others, but my curious self wants to know the prayers type that works for you, if it is fine to tell us?
Pallavi Lakra
Currently Reading: Apotheosis Now
Bookshelf Size: 44

Post by Pallavi Lakra »

Personally I would participate in prayer walking and examine myself before I go to bed. Because I believe God listens to us if we come to Him with a sincere heart.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Pallavi Lakra wrote: 24 May 2021, 12:54 Personally I would participate in prayer walking and examine myself before I go to bed. Because I believe God listens to us if we come to Him with a sincere heart.
I think it would be a great practice to do a prayer walk and to examine ourselves before bed. I also believe God listens to us, but we don't always go to Him first as we should. I think too often we think of Him as the last resort. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Return to “Discuss " Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute" by Jeff Meyer”