Discouragement and distraction are production killers, agree or disagree?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through" by Jeff Meyer.
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Discouragement and distraction are production killers, agree or disagree?

Post by cd20 »

sssns wrote: 21 May 2021, 16:14 I agree. Reaching our dreams is a process. It is not like jumping from point A to point B. There is a distance and a time that we have to cover to get there. The habits that we develop help to make us efficient and focused.
Yes, reaching our dreams is a process and distraction definitely hinders the process. I agree that we have to make habits to help us be efficient and focused. Dreams can be hard and take a lot of work, letting discouragement get to us sets us back in our plans, or in some cases, causes us to completely let go of the dream. Thank you for sharing your opinions.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
cd20
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl

Post by cd20 »

Bernard Udofia wrote: 22 May 2021, 03:38 I completely agree. When you allow people or situations to discourage or distract you, it kills productivity. To achieve success, we all need a system that encouraged us to push forward and that filters out all the negativity. It's like forming a new habit. To achieve success, we have to get to a point where the system we have formulated becomes muscle memory. It makes it much harder for negativity to encroach.
Yes, people and situations can kill our productivity! I agree in order to achieve success we do need a system in place to help motivate us toward achieving our dreams. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by RHD »

I totally agree. No matter what you set your mind to do, they'll always be someone to discourage you. Still, every time you make a step or two forward, there will be this or that distraction. Ignore both, or find a way to work around them. Otherwise, your productivity will be low.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

mchidoori wrote: 22 May 2021, 06:24 "Discouragement and distraction are production killers". This is true in the context that to be productive you need to concentrate hence if something distracts it both discourages and affects the will. Discouragement comes in many facets for example words from people and less faith in what one is doing.
Yes, in order to be productive you do need to be able to concentrate and focus. Both discouragement and distractions are production killers, and when you have both together it is a double whammy. Thank you for sharing your opinions.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Ahbed Nadir wrote: 22 May 2021, 08:39
cd20 wrote: 20 May 2021, 14:57 In chapter 21, Jeff states that "Discouragement and distraction are production killers." He goes on to say, "I have found that the proper mindset and appropriate life-giving habits must be integrated into my daily life rhythms if I want to succeed." Do you agree or disagree with this? Why?
I recently read a book talking about the importance of minimalism in areas of technology usage or just general consumption of luxury activities and I must say that I agree. One must do away with items of distraction or habits that take one away from his goals. Live giving habits need to be integrated into ones daily schedule so as to ensure continued growth.
That is so true! I can be working on something and then switch over to a social media outlet to look up something related to what I am doing, only to find myself sucked in. I forget what I was doing and have to refocus. A good example of this is when we share the Book of the Day on Facebook. I will pop on there to comment, then get sucked in by all my notifications. Then I have to refocus. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Ahbed Nadir wrote: 22 May 2021, 08:41
cd20 wrote: 20 May 2021, 14:57 In chapter 21, Jeff states that "Discouragement and distraction are production killers." He goes on to say, "I have found that the proper mindset and appropriate life-giving habits must be integrated into my daily life rhythms if I want to succeed." Do you agree or disagree with this? Why?
Another thought I had on the matter is the importance of a good mindset. When one is continuously discouraged by his surroundings or events that happen it will be impossible for him or her to progress. One has to develop an attitude of positive thinking so as to always remain optimistic and hopeful about his or her future thus leading to greater focus and more productivity.
Also true. We need to be able to get rid of the discouragement before it turns to negativity and completely throws us off track of our goals. It is hard to constantly have a positive mindset, but if you get in the practice of gratitude instead of negativity, it is a lot easier to realign your focus. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts.
Fazzier
Currently Reading: Secondary Break
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fazzier.html
Latest Review: Planning for a Better, Greener Future by Peter Nelson

Post by Fazzier »

I completely agree that discouragement and distraction are production killers. Nothing worth achieving is devoid of those pairs. Many times it requires the conscious awareness of them to successfully fight them. But most of the time they win, hence the infamous quote, “Success if not easy; if it were, everybody would be winning.”
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2322
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

I agree.
As a chronic procrastinator, I can't get things done because of them.
There are lots of hobbies and interests I want to do in life. In the end, I miss accomplishing the important things I have to prioritize.
As for the discouragement, I am prone to stop pursuing something if I don't see any hope or chance for it.
It's connected to perfectionism. We are scared to take risks until we are sure that the outcome will be in our favor.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Dzejn_Crvena wrote: 23 May 2021, 11:49 I agree.
As a chronic procrastinator, I can't get things done because of them.
There are lots of hobbies and interests I want to do in life. In the end, I miss accomplishing the important things I have to prioritize.
As for the discouragement, I am prone to stop pursuing something if I don't see any hope or chance for it.
It's connected to perfectionism. We are scared to take risks until we are sure that the outcome will be in our favor.
Thank you for being real. I am not a procrastinator, I am a type-A perfectionist, so I understand what you are saying. I tend to get discouraged easily and want to give up. I have found that if I make a list of the priority items for each day I am more likely to get them done. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Jennifer Garcia 555
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-garcia-555.html
Latest Review: Somebody’s Watching You by Robin D'Amato

Post by Jennifer Garcia 555 »

I agree! Discouragement and distraction will definitely slow down productivity. Developing good work habits and staying focused are the key to success. It is easy to get discouraged when things don’t go the way you want.
“Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?” — L. M. Montgomery
yomide
Currently Reading: We are voulhire
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yomide.html
Latest Review: The Scarlet Queen: by Mitch Reinhardt

Post by yomide »

Agreed. It's an everyday occurrence, when we are trying to get something done, any form of distraction or discouragement would utter production. This is as one losses the will to continue on a course when one is discouraged.
There is no point in trying to please a person who doesn't apreciate me. Besides, why do I have to try and please anyone in the first place?
Karissa Schilling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karissa-schilling.html
Latest Review: Lessons For Kids to Learn by D.L.Kelly

Post by Karissa Schilling »

Personally, my productivity is absolutely hindered by discouragement and distraction, therefore I have to agree. I think discouragement and distraction are inevitable and affect everyone at some point. Productivity can be increased when a person pushes past their discouragement and resists distraction.
Jessica045
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessica045.html
Latest Review: George by James H Russell

Post by Jessica045 »

I totally agree with this. The worst part is that people tend to advise another against production when actually they are discouraging. It sometimes even bring in confusion. Distraction is a sure killer of production as you don't get to concentrate and take useful decisions.
Michele H
Favorite Book: Frozen Harvest
Currently Reading: A Siblings Revenge
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michele-h.html
Latest Review: House of Dads by June Gillam
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Michele H »

I am in total agreement with this. There are constantly things in our daily lives that distract and discourage us. The only way to stay focused and productive is to set goals and re-evaluate those goals daily monitoring the activities that are needed to produce the desired outcome. Without a methodical approach we would just be spinning our wheels.
PreciousExo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-preciousexo.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by PreciousExo »

I completely agree with this. It is a daily struggle trying to break free from distractions and discouragement and if not properly handled, it will always disrupt productivity. Distraction from life itself is one, as the things happening in ones life can have a big impact. social media is another and so on. This leads to procrastination and laziness. The author is right, one has to make a deliberate effort to overcome them.

Return to “Discuss " Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute" by Jeff Meyer”