What do you think of the different prayers?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through" by Jeff Meyer.
Hogwarts03
Currently Reading: Shatter Me
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hogwarts03.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Re: What do you think of the different prayers?

Post by Hogwarts03 »

Honestly, this is not something we can all agree on. I, in particular, have very mixed feelings. Because the prayers are mostly for a Christian audience, I would have to step back from that as I'm not Christian. But in the sense of general prayers, I do agree that it's important to pray (if you're religious) because I happen to be religious and it's a daily routine if mine. I really think it depends with the person in question.
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

Hogwarts03 wrote: 25 May 2021, 11:19 Honestly, this is not something we can all agree on. I, in particular, have very mixed feelings. Because the prayers are mostly for a Christian audience, I would have to step back from that as I'm not Christian. But in the sense of general prayers, I do agree that it's important to pray (if you're religious) because I happen to be religious and it's a daily routine if mine. I really think it depends with the person in question.
I agree. Rather we are all Christians, or not, or a mix, we will not agree on what type of prayer is best. I think that is okay. The beauty of prayer is that we are talking with our Maker, not how we go about it. It will completely depend on each person. Thank you for sharing your perspective.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 411
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I am not a Catholic. So I am lack of knowledge to provide this question a direct answer. But as per my view, there are many additions to almost all religions throughout the history. These prayers too cannot be an exclusion from that. So if one is in indecision regarding choosing among prayers, I think it is better to go for some guidance. Maybe a priest can help in such a situation.
cd20
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl

Post by cd20 »

Sushan wrote: 26 May 2021, 00:31 I am not a Catholic. So I am lack of knowledge to provide this question a direct answer. But as per my view, there are many additions to almost all religions throughout the history. These prayers too cannot be an exclusion from that. So if one is in indecision regarding choosing among prayers, I think it is better to go for some guidance. Maybe a priest can help in such a situation.
Not all Christians are Catholic and this book was written more for Christians than Catholics. I think each person has to decide for themselves what prayers they want to say. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
Ahbed Nadir
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahbed-nadir.html
Latest Review: There's Always Tomorrow by Jim Carr

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

Dzejn_Crvena wrote: 23 May 2021, 11:57
Ahbed Nadir wrote: 19 May 2021, 01:37 I usually have a very busy day so when I have the chance, I simply pray to God under my breath, talking to Him as I work or go about my activities and this helps as well. Great take on this.
I do this. When I was studying in a religious school, we always had prayer time at least 4 times a day. Now that I work, I do not follow the usual routine.
Some anxious people are embarrassed to voice their thoughts, so they find comfort in praying alone while meditating.
I sometimes write my prayer request and drop them into a prayer box. When it gets too confidential, I burn the letter.
Some people feel shy about praying in groups such as fellowships or prayer groups and as such feel uncomfortable praying to God. Its sometimes best to pray wherever they find themselves most comfortable, in a quiet place with no eyes on them so they can feel at ease in the presence of God.
"It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends"- Albus Dumbledore
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2322
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

Ahbed Nadir wrote: 28 May 2021, 05:36 Some people feel shy about praying in groups such as fellowships or prayer groups and as such feel uncomfortable praying to God. Its sometimes best to pray wherever they find themselves most comfortable, in a quiet place with no eyes on them so they can feel at ease in the presence of God.
Indeed. As much as I "feel shy" about it, I don't think other people deserve to know such private thoughts from me. If I'm going to address someone, I prefer to say it directly. Maybe other introverts can relate to this, too.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
Emmanuel Kolapo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanuel-kolapo.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Emmanuel Kolapo »

I believe in all types of praying as long as it is done to commune with the God. Since the daily routine of a Man is not fixed eternally, I believe that at one time or the other, we tend to deviate from our norms when we schedule our normal prayer type.

Though I don't fully understand all the type of prayers mentioned but I love the prayer walking type.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Ahbed Nadir wrote: 28 May 2021, 05:36
Dzejn_Crvena wrote: 23 May 2021, 11:57
Ahbed Nadir wrote: 19 May 2021, 01:37 I usually have a very busy day so when I have the chance, I simply pray to God under my breath, talking to Him as I work or go about my activities and this helps as well. Great take on this.
I do this. When I was studying in a religious school, we always had prayer time at least 4 times a day. Now that I work, I do not follow the usual routine.
Some anxious people are embarrassed to voice their thoughts, so they find comfort in praying alone while meditating.
I sometimes write my prayer request and drop them into a prayer box. When it gets too confidential, I burn the letter.
Some people feel shy about praying in groups such as fellowships or prayer groups and as such feel uncomfortable praying to God. Its sometimes best to pray wherever they find themselves most comfortable, in a quiet place with no eyes on them so they can feel at ease in the presence of God.
All the prayers that Jeff Meyer discussed were in places where the person would be alone in the presence of God. He did not say anything about praying in groups. It is best if we all pray to God in places where we are comfortable. It does not have to be complicated or rehearsed, we just come as we are. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Dzejn_Crvena wrote: 28 May 2021, 09:44
Ahbed Nadir wrote: 28 May 2021, 05:36 Some people feel shy about praying in groups such as fellowships or prayer groups and as such feel uncomfortable praying to God. Its sometimes best to pray wherever they find themselves most comfortable, in a quiet place with no eyes on them so they can feel at ease in the presence of God.
Indeed. As much as I "feel shy" about it, I don't think other people deserve to know such private thoughts from me. If I'm going to address someone, I prefer to say it directly. Maybe other introverts can relate to this, too.
The prayers that Jeff Meyer discussed in this book were more for people to pray alone, not in a group. Even the Bible talks about Jesus going into solitary places to pray, we are not to pray for the attention of others. No one needs to know your private thoughts, those are between you and God. We should all be direct, not only with God, but with the others that we encounter. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Nichole Kurns
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Beyond Smarter
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nichole-kurns.html
Latest Review: Intricate Mandalas with Inspirational Quotes: by Big Initial Studios

Post by Nichole Kurns »

I believe in doing what works best for you when it comes to prayers. Prayer is a personal communication. I realize that a do all of forms of prayers mentioned.
Oyedeji Okikioluwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 964
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orizon.html
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi

Post by Oyedeji Okikioluwa »

Sushan wrote: 26 May 2021, 00:31 I am not a Catholic. So I am lack of knowledge to provide this question a direct answer. But as per my view, there are many additions to almost all religions throughout the history. These prayers too cannot be an exclusion from that. So if one is in indecision regarding choosing among prayers, I think it is better to go for some guidance. Maybe a priest can help in such a situation.
I agree with you, but I think the guidance we need should be from your relationship with your Creator. Priests can make mistakes as humans, but our relationship with our Creator can help with guidance.
Mercy Osmond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-osmond.html
Latest Review: The Trials of Uwe, Parts I, II and III by Steven L Masia

Post by Mercy Osmond »

I think everyone have different methods of praying, it just depend on the individual connection with God. For me i pray in different ways, sometimes i talk to God when am in the toilet or when am lying down etc.
Oyedeji Okikioluwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 964
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orizon.html

Post by Oyedeji Okikioluwa »

Mercy Osmond wrote: 01 Jun 2021, 08:36 I think everyone have different methods of praying, it just depend on the individual connection with God. For me i pray in different ways, sometimes i talk to God when am in the toilet or when am lying down etc.
This is what I am saying, your connection and relationship with your God should be a determinant factor. I agree with you.
Jasleen Chadha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasleen-chadha.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe

Post by Jasleen Chadha »

I believe praying is very personal and spiritual feeling. It can be done in more than one way or none at all. For some, praying is just like meditating and leaving behind your worries, while for some, it is all about taking into account all of those worries and asking for some peace in return.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Nichole Tiffany wrote: 31 May 2021, 21:33 I believe in doing what works best for you when it comes to prayers. Prayer is a personal communication. I realize that a do all of forms of prayers mentioned.
I completely agree. I think sections like this are good for those who don't think they know how to pray or would do better with more routine prayers. But, ultimately prayer is a personal communication and it is up to us how we feel it is best to pray. THank you for sharing your thoughts.

Return to “Discuss " Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute" by Jeff Meyer”