Discouragement and distraction are production killers, agree or disagree?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through" by Jeff Meyer.
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Discouragement and distraction are production killers, agree or disagree?

Post by cd20 »

Jenniferg_1105 wrote: 23 May 2021, 14:31 I agree! Discouragement and distraction will definitely slow down productivity. Developing good work habits and staying focused are the key to success. It is easy to get discouraged when things don’t go the way you want.
I agree with this completely. It is so easy to get distracted too. Once you let yourself get distracted it kills all motivation and productivity! Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
cd20
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl

Post by cd20 »

Mys_Trea wrote: 22 May 2021, 10:07
cd20 wrote: 20 May 2021, 14:57 In chapter 21, Jeff states that "Discouragement and distraction are production killers." He goes on to say, "I have found that the proper mindset and appropriate life-giving habits must be integrated into my daily life rhythms if I want to succeed." Do you agree or disagree with this? Why?
I agree with this so much. The reality is that both these elements can come from so many different places, such as people, social media, and even oneself. I have in the past, come up with good ideas, only to talk myself out of executing them because of insecurity or procrastination. A well-meaning friend could think they are giving good advice, only to find out they were actually delaying you from reaching a life-changing dream. It is important to be conscientious of such, and have the correct mindset needed to achieve whatever you desire.
I agree with your thoughts! I too have talked myself out of things and missed an opportunity because of insecurity! Not sure why we do that to ourselves, but we do. I have also seen "well-meaning" friends kill great ideas my kids have had too. I agree we do need the right midset if we are going to achieve what we desire. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
cd20

Post by cd20 »

RHD wrote: 22 May 2021, 12:15 I totally agree. No matter what you set your mind to do, they'll always be someone to discourage you. Still, every time you make a step or two forward, there will be this or that distraction. Ignore both, or find a way to work around them. Otherwise, your productivity will be low.
I would like to think there will not "always be someone to discourage you." But, you are probably right. I know I can end up discouraging myself, depending on the mood that I am in! There are definitely going to be distractions along the way and we do need to do our best to ignore them or find a way to work around them. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Jenniferg_1105 wrote: 23 May 2021, 14:31 I agree! Discouragement and distraction will definitely slow down productivity. Developing good work habits and staying focused are the key to success. It is easy to get discouraged when things don’t go the way you want.
I agree that we need to develop good work habits and stay focused in order to be successful. I think too, have a set schedule. That is something that I struggle with. It is very easy to get discouraged when things don't go the way we want! Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

yomide wrote: 23 May 2021, 15:21 Agreed. It's an everyday occurrence, when we are trying to get something done, any form of distraction or discouragement would utter production. This is as one losses the will to continue on a course when one is discouraged.
I agree, it is an everyday occurrence, unfortunately! I have a lot of distractions and then my distractions lead to distractions! It's a never-ending battle. It is also true that it is hard to continue forward when we get discouraged. We need to go back and remember our "why" so that it will motivate us forward. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Karissa Schilling wrote: 23 May 2021, 18:44 Personally, my productivity is absolutely hindered by discouragement and distraction, therefore I have to agree. I think discouragement and distraction are inevitable and affect everyone at some point. Productivity can be increased when a person pushes past their discouragement and resists distraction.
I think all of us can agree that our productivity is hindered by discouragement and distraction at times. I also agree that we can increase our productivity by avoiding distractions and trying to push past our discouragment. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Jessica045 wrote: 24 May 2021, 04:48 I totally agree with this. The worst part is that people tend to advise another against production when actually they are discouraging. It sometimes even bring in confusion. Distraction is a sure killer of production as you don't get to concentrate and take useful decisions.
I agree that some of the things people advise us cause discouragement. Distractions are the worst. I have picked up my phone three times just trying to type this short message! I think if we don't want distractions to kill our productivity we need to do our best not to let distractions into our work space. Like, while I am working, not have my phone right beside me, lol. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Michele H wrote: 24 May 2021, 10:00 I am in total agreement with this. There are constantly things in our daily lives that distract and discourage us. The only way to stay focused and productive is to set goals and re-evaluate those goals daily monitoring the activities that are needed to produce the desired outcome. Without a methodical approach we would just be spinning our wheels.
I agree with this completely. I have learned if I really want to get something done I need to have a priorities list each day and start there. Otherwise, I lose focus and can end up chasing rabbit trails for hours and not accomplishing anything that I need to. Thank you for sharing your opinions.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

PreciousExo wrote: 24 May 2021, 11:35 I completely agree with this. It is a daily struggle trying to break free from distractions and discouragement and if not properly handled, it will always disrupt productivity. Distraction from life itself is one, as the things happening in ones life can have a big impact. social media is another and so on. This leads to procrastination and laziness. The author is right, one has to make a deliberate effort to overcome them.
I agree with this as well. It is a daily struggle and I imagine it will be until the end of our days. Social media is the worst for losing your focus and motivation! At times I have to set time limits or I will wonder where the time has gone. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
PreciousExo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-preciousexo.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by PreciousExo »

cd20 wrote: 24 May 2021, 18:02
PreciousExo wrote: 24 May 2021, 11:35 I completely agree with this. It is a daily struggle trying to break free from distractions and discouragement and if not properly handled, it will always disrupt productivity. Distraction from life itself is one, as the things happening in ones life can have a big impact. social media is another and so on. This leads to procrastination and laziness. The author is right, one has to make a deliberate effort to overcome them.
I agree with this as well. It is a daily struggle and I imagine it will be until the end of our days. Social media is the worst for losing your focus and motivation! At times I have to set time limits or I will wonder where the time has gone. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
That is one thing I find unreal, time just disappears when social media is involved. The good news is we know it is a problem, so it will be easier to fix it eventhough it is and will always remain a struggle.
Elendu Clement
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elendu-clement.html
Latest Review: The Wanting Hearts by Nicole Jordan

Post by Elendu Clement »

I agree with the author. Most times all you need to fulfil your dreams is a little encouragement from your loved ones. If you also surround yourself with people who are focused on life, you get to be the best you can ever be
yomide
Currently Reading: We are voulhire
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yomide.html
Latest Review: The Scarlet Queen: by Mitch Reinhardt

Post by yomide »

Ahbed Nadir wrote: 22 May 2021, 08:52
Bernard Udofia wrote: 22 May 2021, 03:38 I completely agree. When you allow people or situations to discourage or distract you, it kills productivity. To achieve success, we all need a system that encouraged us to push forward and that filters out all the negativity. It's like forming a new habit. To achieve success, we have to get to a point where the system we have formulated becomes muscle memory. It makes it much harder for negativity to encroach.
Yes, indeed. I read somewhere that it takes 50 days to break an old habit and 12 days to form a new one. This shows how hard it is to get rid of bad habits once they are formed and how easy it is to form a new good habit to replace the old one. This is something that every one needs to approach seriously. One must focus on developing habits that are in support of his goal and actively contribute to achieving his desires.
I don't think I completely agree with you. habits may not really be a key to productivity, I'd say it's more likely to be a distraction rather than a push to productivity. It doesn't matter whether or not it's a good habit or a bad one, or it is in tone with your mission. All that matters is that it would easily distract one from his course.
There is no point in trying to please a person who doesn't apreciate me. Besides, why do I have to try and please anyone in the first place?
Hogwarts03
Currently Reading: Shatter Me
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hogwarts03.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Hogwarts03 »

I wholeheartedly agree with this. Discouragement, whether self inflicted or provided by others, is very damaging to a person's morale and can lead to insecurity, self hatred and a negative feeling of hopelessness and uselessness. Distractions also fall in the same category. Without having a clear mindset and clear cut routines, distraction takes over which ultimately damages your ambition and zest to pursue a goal.
Surrounding yourself with like minded and positive people, while also creating positive habits, is a very good way of combating this.
DeeFadzyie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deefadzyie.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by DeeFadzyie »

I strongly agree with this notion. We are humans and need external validation at some point in our life. What our close friends and family say affects us because we expect our support from these groups. Focusing on the ultimate goal brings results faster and more efficiently provided there are little or no distractions. Even writers need a working space where they can work on their books more productively. Imagine the dent on productivity caused by working from home!
Elon Gathungu
Favorite Book: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elon-gathungu.html
Latest Review: Red Wave Imperative by Alan Schein

Post by Elon Gathungu »

More often than not life just gets in the way. It is hard to totally focus on a goal without creating a system that filters all the interruptions, distractions, judgments, opinions, and discouragement that pop up. To maintain productivity you need an effective and flexible system to maintain focus.

Return to “Discuss " Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute" by Jeff Meyer”