The author states we are copycats, agree or disagree?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through" by Jeff Meyer.
ILikeBigBooks
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ilikebigbooks.html
Latest Review: Poems About Things That Mattered Most by Bob Dowell
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: The author states we are copycats, agree or disagree?

Post by ILikeBigBooks »

I would say I have to agree with this statement. So often people want to be like the people they see, or what was done before them. Even people like the Grimm Brothers and Hans Christian Anderson were just writing what had been told for years.
Kaitlin Licato
Currently Reading: Shakespeare's Guide to Parenting
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlin-licato.html
Latest Review: The Sylvan Horn by Robert Redinger

Post by Kaitlin Licato »

I agree. Even when people are trying to be original, we are still copying others. Even innovators build on the work of others. I think it's impossible for anyone to be wholly original. We are all a mixture of pieces that we've acquired based on others. It's what makes us unique, but similar at the same time.
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins

Post by cd20 »

ILikeBigBooks wrote: 20 May 2021, 17:29 I would say I have to agree with this statement. So often people want to be like the people they see, or what was done before them. Even people like the Grimm Brothers and Hans Christian Anderson were just writing what had been told for years.
That is an interesting perspective and I had not thought about it like that. I do agree that we sometimes want to be like people that we see, but we also have our own original ideas to share. Or at least I hope we do, lol. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
cd20
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl

Post by cd20 »

Noda21k wrote: 20 May 2021, 19:47 I agree. Even when people are trying to be original, we are still copying others. Even innovators build on the work of others. I think it's impossible for anyone to be wholly original. We are all a mixture of pieces that we've acquired based on others. It's what makes us unique, but similar at the same time.
I would like to think that it is possible to be wholly original, but I do imagine you are right. You have very valid points. I had not thought of it like this. Thank you for sharing your perspective.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
Durgeshwari Dolas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-durgeshwari-dolas.html
Latest Review: Cold Serial: The Jack the Strangler Murders by Brian E. Forschner

Post by Durgeshwari Dolas »

I somewhat agree. Actually it depends on the person and how they react to something.
Well it's true that most of the time human beings try to copy others like 'if he can do it then I can too!', 'i want to be like her', knowingly or unknowingly we are always copying someone. It's just happens.
“We don’t need a list of rights and wrongs, tables of dos and don’ts: We need books, time, and silence. Thou shalt not is soon forgotten, but Once upon a time lasts forever.” – Philip Pullman
Bernard Udofia
Favorite Author: Biz Stone
Currently Reading: Things a Little Bird Told Me: Confessions of the Creative Mind
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bernard-udofia.html
Latest Review: The Pro-Achievement Principle by Dr. Deborah Bright
fav_author_id: 72309

Post by Bernard Udofia »

I agree to an extent, but I don't think this should be an absolute statement. We are all copy cats in the sense that we all derive inspiration and motivation from the success of others. I think we only get to the point where we want to do what that person is doing if we have no passion for what we are doing in the first place. If you're just pursuing success for success's sake, then you stand the danger of being pushed around by others' successes.
Ochieng Omuodo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Intrepid Brotherhood
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ochieng-omuodo.html
Latest Review: Endgame by William Reed

Post by Ochieng Omuodo »

I absolutely disagree. Although I can see how human behaviour tends in that direction, I don't think those statement represent a conclusion by Meyer. After all, he also says we are an influence on those around us. That implies trend setting rather than following.
mchidoori
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mchidoori »

I do agree that we are copycats. In the sense that in general you see what someone is doing and learn from his or her mistakes. Its like in business you improve from what your competitor is doing.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Bernard Udofia wrote: 22 May 2021, 03:43 I agree to an extent, but I don't think this should be an absolute statement. We are all copy cats in the sense that we all derive inspiration and motivation from the success of others. I think we only get to the point where we want to do what that person is doing if we have no passion for what we are doing in the first place. If you're just pursuing success for success's sake, then you stand the danger of being pushed around by others' successes.
I agree, it should not be an absolute statement. I also agree that we do derive inspiration from others, especially when we are stuck on something. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

DavidOchieng wrote: 22 May 2021, 05:53 I absolutely disagree. Although I can see how human behaviour tends in that direction, I don't think those statement represent a conclusion by Meyer. After all, he also says we are an influence on those around us. That implies trend setting rather than following.
I think we can be both. There are a ton of areas where I do not find myself copying others, and maybe in those areas I am leading...but there are other areas where I look to others for inspiration. This turns into a form of copying them but adding my own take to it as well. I would like to think that we do not copy others ever, but I also don't think that is realistic. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

mchidoori wrote: 22 May 2021, 06:12 I do agree that we are copycats. In the sense that in general you see what someone is doing and learn from his or her mistakes. Its like in business you improve from what your competitor is doing.
I had not looked at it that way, but you have a valid point that we do look at others and try to not imitate their mistakes. I also agree with your comment on how businesses improve from what their competitors are doing. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Vishnu Priya B
Currently Reading: The Unwanted Guest
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vishnu-priya-b.html
Latest Review: A Walk Through the Grapes by David Jackson

Post by Vishnu Priya B »

People tend to copy of course. And that can prove to be useful. There's a saying, I'm not sure how exactly it goes. You only get one life but can live a thousand from others experiences. So yes, you can and should copy the successful people as long as it helps you succeed.
RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by RHD »

Generally, this might be true. Still, a small percentage is still authentic and unique. We all have unique personalities, talents and capabilities. Sometimes the same aspects are similar to those of others. This might be confused with copying. Sometimes two might be doing the same thing well, not because one copied the other, but because both are good at the same thing. However, a substantial part of humanity just copy what the successful people at the time are doing.
Kenna Ridzi
Currently Reading: Iron Gold
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenna-ridzi.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by Kenna Ridzi »

I somewhat agree. People can copy others subconsciously and use the ideas and methods of others they respect in the hope that it will make them more successful, so in that way, humans are copycats. But we're not really copying, just deriving ideas from a source that we've learned to trust and respect, which is most often other humans.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Vishnu Priya B wrote: 22 May 2021, 12:18 People tend to copy of course. And that can prove to be useful. There's a saying, I'm not sure how exactly it goes. You only get one life but can live a thousand from others experiences. So yes, you can and should copy the successful people as long as it helps you succeed.
I agree. I am working on building up my book blog and I have looked at other people for inspiration, tweaking my thoughts to what I think works betterfrom what I have seen on other sites. Yet, I started with my own original ideas. We do tend to copy others more than we realize. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Return to “Discuss " Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute" by Jeff Meyer”