Discouragement and distraction are production killers, agree or disagree?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through" by Jeff Meyer.
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Discouragement and distraction are production killers, agree or disagree?

Post by cd20 »

Elendu Clement wrote: 25 May 2021, 04:49 I agree with the author. Most times all you need to fulfil your dreams is a little encouragement from your loved ones. If you also surround yourself with people who are focused on life, you get to be the best you can ever be
I say we tend to need a lot of encouragement from others. I think it is great if you are able to surround yourself with people who will help you stay focused. We also need to know what our distractions are so that we can minimize them. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
cd20
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl

Post by cd20 »

Hogwarts03 wrote: 25 May 2021, 11:09 I wholeheartedly agree with this. Discouragement, whether self inflicted or provided by others, is very damaging to a person's morale and can lead to insecurity, self hatred and a negative feeling of hopelessness and uselessness. Distractions also fall in the same category. Without having a clear mindset and clear cut routines, distraction takes over which ultimately damages your ambition and zest to pursue a goal.
Surrounding yourself with like minded and positive people, while also creating positive habits, is a very good way of combating this.
I agree that that discouragement, no matter where it comes from does lead to hopelessness and feelings of uselessness. I agree we need to have good routines to help us minimize distractions. Not always easy to follow through, but necessary. Without them, we would be lost. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
cd20

Post by cd20 »

DeeFadzyie wrote: 25 May 2021, 12:29 I strongly agree with this notion. We are humans and need external validation at some point in our life. What our close friends and family say affects us because we expect our support from these groups. Focusing on the ultimate goal brings results faster and more efficiently provided there are little or no distractions. Even writers need a working space where they can work on their books more productively. Imagine the dent on productivity caused by working from home!
Yes, having close friends and family that support us certainly helps with our discouragment. I do agree that focusing on the ultimate goal does bring faster results. I think some people were probably more productive at home, but the majority probably did struggle. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Quest: Finding Freddie
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Definitely. In the time consuming processes, most of the people fail because either of discouragement or of distraction. So if one want to succeed, he/she should develop the habit to consistently encourage him/herself and also to keep the mind and soul focussed towards the target. That will be the only habit that one have to practice in order to succeed.
raj_nandani_poet
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raj-nandani-poet.html
Latest Review: The Last City of America by Matthew Tysz

Post by raj_nandani_poet »

This is perfectly true. Distraction and discouragement, both have zero requirement in our life. Both have negative impact and fails to impart anything useful to either of the parties i.e. distracted as well as distracter.

Mostly the distractions come from materialistic things and world, but discouragement seeps mostly through humans. The source can be either of this but the end result is always a loss of production and work.
Hiruni Hansika
Currently Reading: The Midnight Library
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-hansika.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Hiruni Hansika »

I think this statement is mostly true. But some distraction is needed to keep us productive. If not stress can build up, or we can get discouraged in our dreams, and we won't have a way to release it. I see hobbies as a way of distraction that help us restore our energy.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

I agree. It seems like dwelling on disappointment can drag you down into a depressing or negative mindset that can make it difficult for you to pursue your dream. Likewise, distractions can take your focus off your dream. Both leave you far from where you want to be/go in life and you have to get out of the pit of disappointment and distraction before you can move forward successfully towards your goal.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Sushan wrote: 26 May 2021, 00:36 Definitely. In the time consuming processes, most of the people fail because either of discouragement or of distraction. So if one want to succeed, he/she should develop the habit to consistently encourage him/herself and also to keep the mind and soul focussed towards the target. That will be the only habit that one have to practice in order to succeed.
I agree, most people do fail because of discouragement and distractions. It helps to not only encourage yourself but when you have others who are encouraging you in good habits as well. I think knowing your distractions help as well. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

raj_nandani_poet wrote: 26 May 2021, 17:16 This is perfectly true. Distraction and discouragement, both have zero requirement in our life. Both have negative impact and fails to impart anything useful to either of the parties i.e. distracted as well as distracter.

Mostly the distractions come from materialistic things and world, but discouragement seeps mostly through humans. The source can be either of this but the end result is always a loss of production and work.
I agree, regardless of where the distractions and discouragements come from, the end result is a loss of production and work. We need to know what are distractions are so we can minimize them and surround ourselves with people who are willing and able to motivate and encourage us. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Hiruni Hansika wrote: 26 May 2021, 22:38 I think this statement is mostly true. But some distraction is needed to keep us productive. If not stress can build up, or we can get discouraged in our dreams, and we won't have a way to release it. I see hobbies as a way of distraction that help us restore our energy.
I think that is a great way of looking at it. I had not thought of it in the way, but you are right. Some distractions and hobbies are a great way to restore our energy. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Gabby S14
Favorite Book: All the Light We Cannot See
Currently Reading: The Sound and the Fury
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabby-s14.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Gabby S14 »

I agree with this. Feeling disillusioned about your projects can be a major drain when it comes to creativity and perseverance. Distractions can also keep you from getting to where you want to be by draining your productive time. Maintaining a positive attitude and self-discipline is essential for tackling serious projects, and it is best to take things one step at a time to form good habits. I also think that this goes into Meyer's lesson on friendship. Having a support group of people who love you and actually want you to succeed is so important, especially in the early phases of a long-term project. If the people around you are causing you to doubt yourself (without good reason) and are causing a distraction while you work towards your goals, then it could be time to take a step back and evaluate your relationship's boundaries and your own priorities. Your dream may depend on it.
Asma Aisha Ansari
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Roadside Picnic
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 818
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asma-aisha-ansari.html
Latest Review: When the Tamarind Tree Blooms by Elaine Russell
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Asma Aisha Ansari »

I agree with the author here. Discouragement caused by daily struggles and people, and distractions such as social media use, news bombardment, movie/TV marathons, etc. are a big reason why I sideline my important jobs rendering myself unproductive. It's a way to protect myself from the uneasy feeling that comes when someone criticises me or whenever I feel burnt out. However, discouragement can work in our favour if we take it as constructive criticism (provided the critic has our best intentions in his mind). And I think indulging in fun activities once in a while (getting distracted) is not that bad as it can help us unwind and feel energised. But obviously the author is referring here to the kind of discouragement and distraction that's harmful. Thus, a proper mindset and some good habits are necessary to keep our focus on our main goals.
Imagination is a good servant, and a bad master. - Agatha Christie
Kenna Ridzi
Currently Reading: Iron Gold
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenna-ridzi.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by Kenna Ridzi »

I agree with this. Discouragement takes away one's confidence and enthusiasm, most likely resulting in a loss of interest in one's current project and overall kills productivity. The same can be said for distraction, where you're prevented from giving your full attention to something which ultimately lowers efficiency and therefore, productivity. So yes, I agree that these two concepts can severely harm productivity levels, no matter where you are.
Bhuvana Subramanyam
Favorite Book: Lady Smoke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhuvana-subramanyam.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Post by Bhuvana Subramanyam »

I completely agree with the quote. The life-giving habits or the habits which awaken and enlighten our mind and soul can enrich our life. If our mind and soul are satiated then success follows!
Ahbed Nadir
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahbed-nadir.html
Latest Review: There's Always Tomorrow by Jim Carr

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

cd20 wrote: 22 May 2021, 12:21
Ahbed Nadir wrote: 22 May 2021, 08:41
cd20 wrote: 20 May 2021, 14:57 In chapter 21, Jeff states that "Discouragement and distraction are production killers." He goes on to say, "I have found that the proper mindset and appropriate life-giving habits must be integrated into my daily life rhythms if I want to succeed." Do you agree or disagree with this? Why?
Another thought I had on the matter is the importance of a good mindset. When one is continuously discouraged by his surroundings or events that happen it will be impossible for him or her to progress. One has to develop an attitude of positive thinking so as to always remain optimistic and hopeful about his or her future thus leading to greater focus and more productivity.
Also true. We need to be able to get rid of the discouragement before it turns to negativity and completely throws us off track of our goals. It is hard to constantly have a positive mindset, but if you get in the practice of gratitude instead of negativity, it is a lot easier to realign your focus. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts.
While positivity is good, one must also be careful not to enter the zone of delusion. Often times in the harshest criticisms there is a kernel of truth and one must be able to take the helpful criticisms and improve upon them while also keeping your positive mindset. Some people would just keep what their doing despite various people telling them their wrong because they've deluded themselves into thinking that their way is right and others are just trying to bring them down. Keep from being discouraged but also try to be realistic.
"It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends"- Albus Dumbledore

Return to “Discuss " Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute" by Jeff Meyer”