The author states we are copycats, agree or disagree?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through" by Jeff Meyer.
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: The author states we are copycats, agree or disagree?

Post by cd20 »

RHD wrote: 22 May 2021, 12:25 Generally, this might be true. Still, a small percentage is still authentic and unique. We all have unique personalities, talents and capabilities. Sometimes the same aspects are similar to those of others. This might be confused with copying. Sometimes two might be doing the same thing well, not because one copied the other, but because both are good at the same thing. However, a substantial part of humanity just copy what the successful people at the time are doing.
I would agree with this. I do agree that we bring our own unique talents and abilities to each situation. Other times it is easier to copy what someone else has done instead of reinventing the wheel. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
cd20
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl

Post by cd20 »

kridz21 wrote: 22 May 2021, 12:34 I somewhat agree. People can copy others subconsciously and use the ideas and methods of others they respect in the hope that it will make them more successful, so in that way, humans are copycats. But we're not really copying, just deriving ideas from a source that we've learned to trust and respect, which is most often other humans.
I see it both ways as well. Sometimes we are copying what others have done, especially if they have been successful. Other times we are doing our own thing with no thoughts of copying others. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
Wildflowertheorist
Currently Reading: Rise of the Savior
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wildflowertheorist.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Wildflowertheorist »

I would say that impartially agree to this. We are copycats for things which work or we think would work.
It's normal to replicate behaviour that brings satisfactory results. It's human nature but we're also quick to discontinue behaviour that doesn't work for us (if we realize that).
"When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

-Friedrich Nietzsche
yomide
Currently Reading: We are voulhire
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yomide.html
Latest Review: The Scarlet Queen: by Mitch Reinhardt

Post by yomide »

I'll have to agree to disagree. I believe everyone is a. copycat, however, you can't really say copycat as everyone always modifies that which they copied and you can only say copycat when they do the exact same thing. As everyone knows, no two people are exactly the same time, no matter how I look at it, everyone can't be one. of both; that is, we are all a copycat just as we aren't.
There is no point in trying to please a person who doesn't apreciate me. Besides, why do I have to try and please anyone in the first place?
DeeFadzyie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deefadzyie.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by DeeFadzyie »

I do believe that we are copycats to some extent. We're always looking for the winning formula and applying it though we might add our own twist. Our strategies are now centred on what worked for others before.
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2322
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

I have to partially agree with that. It's not only success that everyone wants to copy from someone.
This is not only about appearance and superficial level, it's also about behavior and personality as well.
Is that human nature? Or are we conditioned to do so?
For the most part of our lives, we spend it by trying to fit into society, to be accepted, and gain recognition.
We are conditioned to follow an example or be an example in return.
Despite that, someone considered "weird" will defy the odds of "normality".
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Wildflowertheorist wrote: 22 May 2021, 22:49 I would say that impartially agree to this. We are copycats for things which work or we think would work.
It's normal to replicate behaviour that brings satisfactory results. It's human nature but we're also quick to discontinue behaviour that doesn't work for us (if we realize that).
I agree. If we are copying someone else and it is not working out for us, the smart thing to do would be to stop and try something else. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Fleurine_t92
Currently Reading: Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fleurine-t92.html

Post by Fleurine_t92 »

I disagree with this thought. We are unique but ordinary. We came in life and live as we like. Sometimes we may simply chose the paths like others but it doesn't mean we are copycat. It just nonsense.
Jessica045
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessica045.html
Latest Review: George by James H Russell

Post by Jessica045 »

I agree with the author. We, humans tend to get jealous of others success and then change into their style to try to be like them. This is however good because at times we need motivation from other people's lives to be successful individuals ourselves.
Gabby S14
Favorite Book: All the Light We Cannot See
Currently Reading: The Sound and the Fury
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabby-s14.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Gabby S14 »

I can relate to this quote. I feel most comfortable taking the following role rather than leading the charge. I look to others a lot for inspiration and motivation. Usually, this is helpful and harmless, but I do sometimes fall into the habit of copying someone else's footsteps rather than deviating onto my own path. It takes conscious awareness and a drive to see yourself thrive on your own. It can be scary at times, but I feel that I've found ways in which I can be a wonderful leader when I believe in myself and my original ideas.
Pallavi Lakra
Currently Reading: Apotheosis Now
Bookshelf Size: 44

Post by Pallavi Lakra »

There is some degree to absolute truth to this. But very often with time we realise that the path a certain successful person took doesn't align with our set of beliefs and eventually we find our own way to go about, still taking motivation from that successful person.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Fleurine_t92 wrote: 24 May 2021, 01:36 I disagree with this thought. We are unique but ordinary. We came in life and live as we like. Sometimes we may simply chose the paths like others but it doesn't mean we are copycat. It just nonsense.
I see it both ways. Someone commented that we are using what was created before us and expanding on it, so essentially copying what has already been done. I do not see myself as a copycat, but something I WILL go and see what someone in a similar field is doing and mimic parts of it...so at times I can be a copycat. I think we will always bring our own unique personalities and attributes, but at times we are copycats. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

yomide wrote: 23 May 2021, 00:08 I'll have to agree to disagree. I believe everyone is a. copycat, however, you can't really say copycat as everyone always modifies that which they copied and you can only say copycat when they do the exact same thing. As everyone knows, no two people are exactly the same time, no matter how I look at it, everyone can't be one. of both; that is, we are all a copycat just as we aren't.
I love how you explained that and it makes perfect sense, in a weird kind of way. I think there are situations where we can be complete copycats, but I also agree that we are always going to bring something unique to the table, as we are all different. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

DeeFadzyie wrote: 23 May 2021, 02:12 I do believe that we are copycats to some extent. We're always looking for the winning formula and applying it though we might add our own twist. Our strategies are now centred on what worked for others before.
I agree as well, but check out the comment above, I think it has validity as well. I do not think we necessarily intend to be copycats, but I think that is part of human nature. However, we will bring our own uniqueness to a given situation. Thanks for sharing your perspective.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Dzejn_Crvena wrote: 23 May 2021, 11:36 I have to partially agree with that. It's not only success that everyone wants to copy from someone.
This is not only about appearance and superficial level, it's also about behavior and personality as well.
Is that human nature? Or are we conditioned to do so?
For the most part of our lives, we spend it by trying to fit into society, to be accepted, and gain recognition.
We are conditioned to follow an example or be an example in return.
Despite that, someone considered "weird" will defy the odds of "normality".
I agree that there are some that want to copy others on an appearance and superficial level. I think we are partially conditioned to be copycats. We teach our babies/children to mimic us in speech and while teaching them to eat, read, and write. So it is a learned behavior from an early age. I think as we mature and get older it is less taught and more intentional for some. Thank you for sharing your perspective.

Return to “Discuss " Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute" by Jeff Meyer”