What do you think of the religious aspect of the book?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through" by Jeff Meyer.
smolbird
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 264
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smolbird.html
Latest Review: Pariah by Robert C. Swetz
fav_author_id: 2909

What do you think of the religious aspect of the book?

Post by smolbird »

As an unambitious person, I was looking forward to reading this book to see what could lead me to "spark my dream." However, I was a little disappointed to find that the religious aspect of the book seems to overpower its self-help aspect. A lot of times, it felt like the book was more focused on Christian living rather than inspiring readers to dream. Additionally, I thought that it would have been better if the "Try This" sections were designed so that both religious and non-religious readers could do them. Do you have a different opinion?
"It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore
El_limitless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-limitless.html
Latest Review: Public Hostage Public Ransom by William Bronston MD

Post by El_limitless »

At some point I felt the book was a bit too religious. It focused so much on the Christian religion that readers with other religious inclinations may not enjoy it as much.
smolbird
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 264
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smolbird.html
Latest Review: Pariah by Robert C. Swetz
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by smolbird »

El_limitless wrote: 01 May 2021, 00:10 At some point I felt the book was a bit too religious. It focused so much on the Christian religion that readers with other religious inclinations may not enjoy it as much.
I agree, I also wasn't particularly fond of the author's statement "Because love, joy, and peace are not found in those pursuits apart from Him! They can only be found in those pursuits alongside of Him." I think it would be better if the book's overview made it obvious that it would be better suited for the religious audience.
"It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore
B Sheila Holt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: One Christmas Eve
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-b-sheila-holt.html
Latest Review: Open Heart by Akil Taher

Post by B Sheila Holt »

I am finding that I enjoyed the religious parts of the book, especially the areas that seemed to lead us to believe that without the help and guidance of God, that we would not find true happiness, joy, love or peace. In my personal opinions, this helpful way to live your life releases stress and helps me to focus better.

I love self-help books, and the fact that this author uses God and religious views as another way to go out and become a better version of yourself.
Maddie Atkinson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Julia Chapman
Favorite Book: gender euphoria
Currently Reading: Mortal Monarchs
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddie-atkinson.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis
fav_author_id: 84942

Post by Maddie Atkinson »

I think there's nothing wrong with using religion, as this seems to be a big part of the author's life, however, there is such thing as too much, to a point it almost feels like they are pushing an agenda, especially for those who aren't religious but want to read this as a self help book. I am religious to an extent, but this was still frustrating for me.
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)
yomide
Currently Reading: We are voulhire
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yomide.html
Latest Review: The Scarlet Queen: by Mitch Reinhardt

Post by yomide »

I agree, the book does seem a little too religious. However, I think the try this section isn't bad as it is supposed to reflect on the entire chapter. In my pespective, I think the author's target are Cristians even though it is a self help book.
There is no point in trying to please a person who doesn't apreciate me. Besides, why do I have to try and please anyone in the first place?
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 378
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Keys to Healthy Communication by Bobby R Patton,Rusalyn H Andrews and Jennifer Page Daily
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

This book is best suited to Christians, and I would recommend it to non-Christians only with reservations.

That said, my non-religious self still found it helpful. I suppose I thought of how things could apply rather than focusing on why they didn't apply. So I could mentally adapt, thinking of spiritual principles in general rather than Christianity in particular. I guess I focused more on the non-religious aspects; I found there were enough to be going on with. For example, at the end of lesson 28, the author refers to the 5-minute rule which is a cognitive behaviour therapy technique, not something religious at all.

I did go into this knowing what my dreams are (a couple of biggies). But did you try the exercise on identifying your unique talents in lesson 6? That could contain clues to a dream, and I think the idea of seeing how one's talents interact with what the world needs is very interesting.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
B Sheila Holt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: One Christmas Eve
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-b-sheila-holt.html
Latest Review: Open Heart by Akil Taher

Post by B Sheila Holt »

I don’t feel this book is to religious or focuses on God to much. In my opinion only, God gives us our own minds and our own thoughts. He gives us the Bible teachings and lots of other ways to lead us to a happy, peaceful life, but He is also such a loving God, that he will not stand in our way if we want to choose our own way, which is far different from what He knows is best for us.

He will be very patient while we pursue our own goals and dreams and see how life goes as we make our choices and plans, but if things don’t work out as well as we had hoped, God is there to guide us back, lovingly, helping us follow His plan for our lives and creating new dreams.
Sara chhawniwala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sara-chhawniwala.html
Latest Review: Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of Expat Life by Jim Santos

Post by Sara chhawniwala »

The religiousness in the book was too much. Non-chirstians may find this book boring. But if somehow you are able to ignore the religiousness of the book, the tips and techniques provided by the author are practical and useful. I also liked the try these sections in the book and how the author divided the book into two parts. One for those who dont know their dream and another part for those who know their dream but donot have the techniques to realise it.
Sekhmet September
Favorite Author: Tanith Lee
Currently Reading: Stranded In The Wild
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sekhmet-september.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing
fav_author_id: 10199

Post by Sekhmet September »

From A Christian perspective, I would have appreciated it more if the focus were closer to trying to clarify God's plan for me, and how to best facilitate that plan.

From a non Christian perspective, the book should be clearly labeled as such so that folks aren't disappointed with the focus.
Faith is the confidence that what we hope for will actually happen; it gives us assurance about things we cannot see.
Hebrews 11 1 NIV
britcott30
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Hello, My Love
Currently Reading: The Overdue Life of Amy Byler
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britcott30.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by britcott30 »

I think so too, that this book can somehow make the non-religious feels a little bore or annoyed. But we also cannot blame the way of the author’s writing since it is a self-help, so naturally it is based on the author’s experiences and perspective.
WADonnelly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wadonnelly.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by WADonnelly »

I think this book is best suited to those who are religiously inclined as it may be a bit much for those who are only seeking help without turning to religion. That being said a lot described can be applied to all aspects of life as the religious examples are just examples.
Karmon Kuhn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karmon-kuhn.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Karmon Kuhn »

Given that this book has a Christian subgenre, I was fully expecting it to be very religious. As a non-religious person, I knew going into this book that not everything would be relevant to me. However, I can usually find information that's transferable in these sort of books, and I really enjoy reading self-help and self-development nonfiction. I also anticipated that I would relate to the leadership aspects of the book because I'm a teacher. Unfortunately, so much of the book was heavily Christian that it was largely unrelatable to me. With some hard work and careful thinking, I was able to take away a few lessons here and there, but there weren't very many things that were easily accessible given that I'm not a practicing Christian or religious person at all. I would certainly recommend it for someone who's highly religious like some of my Christian friends, but for me, the emphasis on prayer, guidance from God and Jesus, and reading the scripture didn't have clear replacements in my own life.
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

The religious aspects of this book did not bother me, but I would still not be recommending it to non-Christians. The way I see it, this book was written to empower Christians and help them to find their dreams and live a purpose-driven life. That is, purpose-driven in a religious context. However, I don’t see any reasons why an open-minded non-Christian could not find this book useful, as there are useful aspects included that are not bound to Christianity. On the other hand, there are many other books out there about finding and accomplishing your dreams. I would rather recommend one with less religious content to non-Christians.
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative
Jennifer Aldo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-aldo.html
Latest Review: War Tower by Joseph Leo DeCelle

Post by Jennifer Aldo »

It's suited to Christains, so I don't think you can say it's too religious. But in addition, it contains some valuable lessons that even non-christains would benefit from. I guess to them the book would appear "too religious"

Return to “Discuss " Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute" by Jeff Meyer”