What do you think of the religious aspect of the book?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through" by Jeff Meyer.
ROSEY-ANN
Favorite Book: Winning the War on Cancer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roseyann.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Re: What do you think of the religious aspect of the book?

Post by ROSEY-ANN »

I think that the religious aspects were based on the author's personal experience. I think persons who may have or are having similar experiences may find that interesting. For those who are not religious it may give some insight.
Katherine Smith
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 524">Nancy Drew</a>
Currently Reading: The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe
Bookshelf Size: 504
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-smith.html
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Reading Device: B01KVZV52A

Post by Katherine Smith »

At first, I thought that this book would be a secular type of self-help book, but I was surprised that it was so religious. I do not mind the religious aspects of the book because for many people this keeps them tethered to their sense of self and grounds them when something goes wrong in their lives. I also believe that their could have been a greater effort at appealing to those of different faiths or no faiths at all.
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
ady37
Favorite Book: Fuzzy Bunny Slippers
Currently Reading: The Last Lumenian
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ady37.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by ady37 »

The title of the book, seeks that one support and guide, for one to pursue and achieve.
However, it is clear that it is aimed at the religious sector, but if it can help you.
Ahbed Nadir
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahbed-nadir.html
Latest Review: There's Always Tomorrow by Jim Carr

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

Maddie Atkinson wrote: 01 May 2021, 05:38 I think there's nothing wrong with using religion, as this seems to be a big part of the author's life, however, there is such thing as too much, to a point it almost feels like they are pushing an agenda, especially for those who aren't religious but want to read this as a self help book. I am religious to an extent, but this was still frustrating for me.
I also agree with this as at one point it felt like the author was somewhat pushing a narrative of "you can't succeed without religion" and at this point it became very pushy and unnecessary.
"It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends"- Albus Dumbledore
Ahbed Nadir

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

Sara chhawniwala wrote: 02 May 2021, 03:19 The religiousness in the book was too much. Non-chirstians may find this book boring. But if somehow you are able to ignore the religiousness of the book, the tips and techniques provided by the author are practical and useful. I also liked the try these sections in the book and how the author divided the book into two parts. One for those who dont know their dream and another part for those who know their dream but donot have the techniques to realise it.
Yes, I would recommend that non-religious individuals ignore the overly religious aspects of this book and simply pick from the more helpful tips or parts of the book that are available and relates directly to their situation or life.
"It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends"- Albus Dumbledore
Ahbed Nadir

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

yomide wrote: 07 May 2021, 13:20 It is vivid the author targetted Christans. And I really like her message concerning Christian life. However, the it is quite confusing what the book really is; self help or a religious book.
While the book does contain many religious ideals or beliefs, this is a self-help book that I feel would be very useful in the hands of both religious and non religious folk as it contains quite a lot of tips and steps that would make a great impact in anyone's life.
Ahbed Nadir

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

I feel the author could have dialed back the religious tone prevalent in the book as although the writing was very good and I can honestly say this has helped my life, the overly religious undertones might serve to put some people off as they might find it too preach, thereby depriving themselves of what would have been an otherwise very helpful book.
Twylla
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Favorite Book: Project Tau
Currently Reading: Intwine
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-twylla.html
Latest Review: Contagion Domination by William Nisol
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by Twylla »

Even though the book is written with a Biblical perspective, the core material has a universal message that transcends religion. I think it is very well-written material that could be applied to anyone's life.
Jorge Leon Salazar
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jorge-leon-salazar.html
Latest Review: Mrs Geddes and other stories by Saman Mahanama Dissanayake

Post by Jorge Leon Salazar »

I don't dislike the religious aspect in the book. I firmly believe that there is a higher being, otherwise many things would be inexplicable. I think this aspect is an ideal complement to a book that gives you a guide to achieving goals.
mchidoori
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mchidoori »

The book's intent is good . Though some can take it to be religiously due to the author's views, no one does not need a saviour. God is supreme ! Very helpful insights.
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

I would not choose to read this again. Personally, I didn't care for the “try this” sections. To be fair though, I am not too much for books of this matter. It did not appeal to me. With that being said, there were certainly at least a few lessons that can be taken away for both religious and non-religious readers.
Gabby S14
Favorite Book: All the Light We Cannot See
Currently Reading: The Sound and the Fury
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabby-s14.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Gabby S14 »

Maddie Atkinson wrote: 01 May 2021, 05:38 I think there's nothing wrong with using religion, as this seems to be a big part of the author's life, however, there is such thing as too much, to a point it almost feels like they are pushing an agenda, especially for those who aren't religious but want to read this as a self help book. I am religious to an extent, but this was still frustrating for me.
I agree with this. I grew up in a religious household so these concepts are familiar to me, but I still feel that the focus on Christianity is a bit overpowering over the main genre point: self-improvement.
Gabby S14
Favorite Book: All the Light We Cannot See
Currently Reading: The Sound and the Fury
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabby-s14.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Gabby S14 »

I have to say that I struggled reading this book in its entirety. While I grew up in a religious household, I am no longer an active member of a church community. I figured the religious aspect of the book would be enough for me to glance over, but it pervaded a majority of the chapters. It's fair to say that the author wrote this to fit his perspective as a religious leader, which I totally understand and believe is justified--he spoke only on what he was authorized to discuss. However, I think some of the focus on Christianity, in particular, could have been supplemented with a broader emphasis on spirituality. With a self-help guide like this, I think there are many lessons that can apply to all kinds of people, regardless of what religion they practice.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

smolbird wrote: 01 May 2021, 00:01 As an unambitious person, I was looking forward to reading this book to see what could lead me to "spark my dream." However, I was a little disappointed to find that the religious aspect of the book seems to overpower its self-help aspect. A lot of times, it felt like the book was more focused on Christian living rather than inspiring readers to dream. Additionally, I thought that it would have been better if the "Try This" sections were designed so that both religious and non-religious readers could do them. Do you have a different opinion?
I agree. Though the book is sugar coated as a self-help book for the emerging leaders, it appears as that the author's main idea has been preaching. This is more a religious book and less a self-help book. And the non-religious readers will be averted by this nature of the book.
Eunice Geres
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eunice-geres.html
Latest Review: Reflections by Dan Babcock

Post by Eunice Geres »

I definitely have the same opinion. I know that this book would talk a lot about Christianity, but I didn't realize that it's the whole book that would discuss it. I'm somehow disappointed. But for me, self help is self help, so I still like it.

Return to “Discuss " Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute" by Jeff Meyer”