What do you think of the religious aspect of the book?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through" by Jeff Meyer.
Blessing Chi Peculiar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-chi-peculiar.html
Latest Review: Maria Tunicka Conductor by James Aiello

Re: What do you think of the religious aspect of the book?

Post by Blessing Chi Peculiar »

After finishing the book, I felt it was a little too religious. It was so focused on the Christian religion that readers with other religious beliefs might not enjoy it as much.
Sarah Sonbol
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-sonbol.html
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

This is an inspiring book for Christians only. I was extremely surprised that this wasn't explained to the reader before reading the book. I'm not against this types of books, but this wasn't what I expected to read when I choose the book to read.
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
Philosopher2022
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-philosopher2022.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Philosopher2022 »

I really don't have issues with the religious aspect of this book. Even though it is a christian book people of other religion who are open-minded can still get the most out of this book.
Online Concept
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ezel-dornelles.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Online Concept »

I agree, but an unbeliever can also use this book to his advantage. Although the writer suggests being close to God, he doesn't try to impose it on the reader.
Okonobe Chioma Chukwuma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okonobe-chioma-chukwuma.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by Okonobe Chioma Chukwuma »

From the title of the book, I feel the book is too religious and non-Christians won't enjoy reading it.
Avishi
Currently Reading: all body bags and no knickers
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avishi.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
Reading Device: Pdf

Post by Avishi »

I agree with your points. The content is far too religious. But this book basically written for Christian leaders and followers. So it's not a issue at all. Much of the self-help books I've read up to this point have been based on Christian beliefs. Now I'm used to them. They didn't bother me at all.
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
Amiczy Heaven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amiczy-heaven.html
Latest Review: Living the Beatitudes by Gary L. Engstrom

Post by Amiczy Heaven »

I think it is okay that the author chose a biblical figure that is popular and known for doing big things.
E Daves
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-daves.html
Latest Review: Zero the Hero! by Paul Gurgol

Post by E Daves »

I had no idea what kind of religious writing I would encounter before I even began to read this book. Personally, I enjoyed reading some of the religious contents. However, I concur that perhaps Christian readers would prefer this book.
E Daves
Currently Reading:

Post by E Daves »

If religion had not been given the kind of prominence it was in the book, I believe that a wider readership from diverse backgrounds would have found the book to be more approachable. Not all readers will actually like the contents of the book because of the religious contents.
E Daves
Currently Reading:

Post by E Daves »

I still believe that the aim of the book could have been accomplished without the lens that religion provided, despite the fact that it did contribute in some cases to elaborating on the point that the author was trying to convey.
E Daves
Currently Reading:

Post by E Daves »

PeterRabitt20 wrote: 04 May 2021, 14:40 At first glance, I thought the book was for general readers (not a specific religion). I was hoping for that since it seemed like it contained good advice. I also found that it was geared towards religious leadership. Nonetheless, I took some things for myself.
I thought the same thing initially.
I was looking for inspiration when I started reading the book, something that would motivate me to go after my aspirations. However, as this book was obviously written for a religious audience, believers will find it more applicable than non-believers.
Jane Ogwang
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-ogwang.html
Latest Review: Dr. Marsha and the Case of the Missing Marshmallows and Hotdogs by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Jane Ogwang »

I believe the book would have served a larger audience if the author had minimized its religious aspects. However, as a Christian, I found the tip, especially the insistence on faith, quite helpful.
Charles lib
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charles-lib.html
Latest Review: Unicorns Know Magic by Charles Adkins

Post by Charles lib »

I don’t feel this book is to religious or focuses on God to much. In my opinion only, God gives us our own minds and our own thoughts. He gives us the Bible teachings and lots of other ways to lead us to a happy, peaceful life, but He is also such a loving God, that he will not stand in our way if we want to choose our own way, which is far different from what He knows is best for us.
Flourish Sunday
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flourish-sunday.html
Latest Review: 9 Rules to Dominate Your Money and Learn What 67% of Adults Don’t Know by Finley Lewis

Post by Flourish Sunday »

I concur that the book can come across as a bit too religious. The attempt this section is designed to reflect on the entire chapter, therefore I don't think it's too horrible. Although it is a self-help book, in my opinion, the author is targeting Christians.
Success Azuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-success-azuka.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Success Azuka »

I enjoyed the religious aspect. I was able to follow with some of the verses in the book. Some were added as songs. So I would say that it was not over religious.

Return to “Discuss " Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute" by Jeff Meyer”