What do you think of the religious aspect of the book?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through" by Jeff Meyer.
Ari Martinez
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Victoria's Choice
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ari-martinez.html
Latest Review: Finding A Way Forward by Karen Games

Re: What do you think of the religious aspect of the book?

Post by Ari Martinez »

Sekhmet September wrote: 02 May 2021, 03:38 From A Christian perspective, I would have appreciated it more if the focus were closer to trying to clarify God's plan for me, and how to best facilitate that plan.

From a non Christian perspective, the book should be clearly labeled as such so that folks aren't disappointed with the focus.
I couldn't agree more on both perspectives! Since I'm a Christian, I enjoyed the religious aspects of the book. However, there was always a part of me that felt like I was misled by the title and cover of the book because it did not mention it was going to be religious, and it actually surprised me when I started reading it and realized it was going to take a religious route.
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Chess! A Beautiful Game for People of All Ages by Sinclair Wilkinson

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

I think this self-help book is greared towards Christians. I think when the author was writing this book, he already has a specific audience in mind. I picked a thing or two especially from the lessons on leadership, but as a non-religious person, the heavy religious references prevented me from fully appreciting this book.
Miraphery
Favorite Book: Worldlines
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miraphery.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Miraphery »

The book is written from a Christian perspective so it can't be said to be too religious. There are principles within it that can be applied by Christians and non-Christians alike.
yomide
Currently Reading: We are voulhire
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yomide.html
Latest Review: The Scarlet Queen: by Mitch Reinhardt

Post by yomide »

It is vivid the author targetted Christans. And I really like her message concerning Christian life. However, the it is quite confusing what the book really is; self help or a religious book.
There is no point in trying to please a person who doesn't apreciate me. Besides, why do I have to try and please anyone in the first place?
Timothy Rucinski
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Dead Bob
Currently Reading: The Captive
Bookshelf Size: 607
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-rucinski.html
Latest Review: The Socratic Contract by D C Russell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 81
2024 Goal Completion: 27%

Post by Timothy Rucinski »

I tried reading the book because, from the first few pages that I sampled, I felt that this could be a good book on leadership. I used to teach leadership skills once upon a time, and I still maintain a bit of interest in this area after retirement. However, I had to simply stop reading the book. The overriding Christian proselytizing proved just too much and I stopped reading it altogether. It's a shame because I think there are some good ideas here. If the Christian slant was more subtle, or at least not dominant, I would have continued reading. I'm not a Christian, and the Jesus factor was just overwhelming.
Mohamadu Abdulai
Currently Reading: Next Stage
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by Mohamadu Abdulai »

As an unambitious person, I was looking forward to reading this book to see what could lead me to "spark my dream." However, I was a little disappointed to find that the religious aspect of the book seems to overpower its self-help aspect.
DANAWEB
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danaweb.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by DANAWEB »

Most of the readers who are following Christianity will find it very easy to follow the religious quotes as well as practical tips suggested in the book. Even though these quotes are excessively used in the book, the readers who are only looking at the content of the book and those who are trying to understand what the author wants to convey will not find it difficult to understand.
Ahbed Nadir
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahbed-nadir.html
Latest Review: There's Always Tomorrow by Jim Carr

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

I feel that the author was writing towards a Christian audience, but it can still be applied to the lives of non believers as well. The Christian lifestyle is something that is guided by God and as such I feel that the author was trying to show that following God will ultimately lead to achievement of your dreams. It isn't too religious but if you think its much, then perhaps it just isn't for you.
"It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends"- Albus Dumbledore
Asma Aisha Ansari
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Roadside Picnic
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 812
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asma-aisha-ansari.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Asma Aisha Ansari »

There's no doubt that this self-help book will appeal more to Christians than non-Christians. As a non-Christian and a non-religious person, I was being reminded about the importance of religious faith more often than what's necessary. The author relies too much on belief in God/Christ to convince his readers to understand simple concepts around dreaming and living a meaningful and productive life. To work around this issue, I just replaced God with a friend or a role model wherever possible. And it does work. In fact, the author has himself asked us, in part 1 lesson 8, to value friends and friendships. Besides, in part 1 lesson 1, 'Sit for a spell', he has written 'You might hear something important if you sit for a spell. With a neighbor, with a friend, with your loved one, with God, even.'
Imagination is a good servant, and a bad master. - Agatha Christie
PJfiremeyer22
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by PJfiremeyer22 »

@smolbird I really appreciate your insights. This was a HUGE struggle for me when I was writing this book. In trying to be true to myself (I am a dedicated follower of Jesus), I may have alienated some of the people I really wanted this book to help. I was writing this from my perspective and wanted it to be personal, while at the same time hoping that the principles in the book could help anyone. In fact, I am doing just that with my Dream Accelerator Coaching Program. And, my companion book "The Dream Primer" which is about to be released is much less "religious". Thanks again for the honesty of your comment/ post. I appreciate it.
_claudi_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claudi.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by _claudi_ »

I don't mind really, it's the message being passed across that really matters. So the religious part of the book is just the author's way of buttressing his point
jaym_tan
Currently Reading: The Date Farm
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaym-tan.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by jaym_tan »

I think it might put off some readers because it focused too much on the Christian aspect. But it can still be helpful for those who really need it.
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

I feel that the author did a good job of balancing his points and the religious aspects. Especially in the try this section, you don't have to be a religious person to figure out what causes you fear, or thinking on positive thoughts. The author states in the foreword that you don't have to read the whole book, or even read it in order, you can simply read the sections that pertain to you most. I can see how you would be disappointed by the title that this is more of a "religious" book. Even reading the synopsis of the book does not show that it is a religious book, and I feel that somewhere it should as much as the author promotes God, for those who would prefer not to have that aspect in the books they read. I see your points, they are valid.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Las chicas de Angel Creek
Bookshelf Size: 2397
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

smolbird wrote: 01 May 2021, 00:01 As an unambitious person, I was looking forward to reading this book to see what could lead me to "spark my dream." However, I was a little disappointed to find that the religious aspect of the book seems to overpower its self-help aspect. A lot of times, it felt like the book was more focused on Christian living rather than inspiring readers to dream. Additionally, I thought that it would have been better if the "Try This" sections were designed so that both religious and non-religious readers could do them. Do you have a different opinion?
I have to agree with you. Even though I'm religious, it bothers me when a non-religious book sneaks this kind of content. I'm thinking not only about non-believers but in people of different faiths. Not everyone is a Christian, and many authors don't consider that. Although, I know they mean well...
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I admired the author for being honest about his beliefs. He did quote quite a few sections from the Bible, but he is compassionate about the Bible being the foundation of his dreams. I have read many self-help books. It was refreshing to note that the author encourages people to find motivation outside of themselves. Readers are motivated to follow their "God-given vision" (p. 20).

Return to “Discuss " Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute" by Jeff Meyer”