"You have to pursue your own dreams, but you are given your dreams by the God". Has the author contradicted himself?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through" by Jeff Meyer.
Wesusa
Favorite Book: Dune
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesusa.html
Latest Review: Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening by JD Schmith

Re: "You have to pursue your own dreams, but you are given your dreams by the God". Has the author contradicted himself?

Post by Wesusa »

I believe it isn't supposed to be interpreted literally, he is much more saying that God allows you to dream, and now it is yourself who must pursue them. I don't think God bequeaths his dreams upon us, but that just may be what I think.
A process cannot be understood by stopping it. Understanding must move with the flow of the process, must join it and flow with it.

The only person who can sympathize with and understand you, is you. So, be good to yourself.
Khushboo Barwar
Favorite Book: Inertia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khushboo-barwar.html
Latest Review: The Price of Dreams by Jerry A. Greenberg
Reading Device: B07XVJZPKZ

Post by Khushboo Barwar »

I don’t think that’s true. Following your dream is one thing but most of us haven’t figured out it yet, many of us still wander places to find “their passion”. I like the idea of following your own dream, but I think your parents’ dream can be your dream too. Just because someone thought it for you doesn’t necessarily mean that it wasn’t your dream. The idea of following your own dream, your own path is too unrealistic.
Unsullied
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unsullied.html
Latest Review: The Thundering Herd by John E. Peltier

Post by Unsullied »

I do not see contradiction in the author's statements. He explains that while God gives and allows us to dream, we have a personal responsibility towards achieving those goals.
Fliesie01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fliesie01.html
Latest Review: Inside Outside: Black Wings Series by Sharlie M. Riverton

Post by Fliesie01 »

I don't think the author contradicted himself in this statement, I think he meant that God puts a dream inside our hearts, and we should follow it, and not look to others and follow the same dream because their dreams look easier. Sometimes our parents can see what that dream is and encourage it, but it is our responsibility to look inside ourselves and listen to our hearts.
The world belongs to those who read.
-Rick Holland
Faith - Benny Any
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faith-benny-any.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Faith - Benny Any »

His statement isn't contradictory, but the way he placed the words make it looks a bit such. It would be better if he had said "God given dream to us".
Joseph Dunn
Currently Reading: The Paris mysteries
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-dunn.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Post by Joseph Dunn »

I believe the author is suggesting that your specific dream intersects with your given dream: in other words, your dream is that dream that God specifically gave you. It's possible that individuals may share dreams, hence the need and effectiveness of teams; however, understanding the dream you've been given (your dream) may require deep introspection, as your motivators may not be what you currently believe they are.
Chloe Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chloe-adams.html
Latest Review: The Ultimate Love by Sherine Anniruth

Post by Chloe Adams »

That does seem like a contradiction to me. How can you pursue your own dreams if God gives you your dreams? If God has given you your dreams then you're not pursuing a dream of your own accord, instead you're just going with the flow.
Chiwelite O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiwelite-o.html
Latest Review: The Water Bear by Groucho Jones

Post by Chiwelite O »

I don't see anything contradictory in the authors statement. It is true that God is the giver of dreams, he has already deposited that dream in us what is then left for us to do is to actively pursue that dream until we succeed. Remember, God will not come and work for you here, the dream is yours but, to pursue the dream and make it a reality is left for us to do. God gives us dreams, we pursue it.
Arite Seki
Currently Reading: The Alchemist
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arite-seki.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Arite Seki »

I don't think that the author has contradicted himself. I think what he's trying to say is that God places dreams in people's hearts/minds and those dreams are individualised. So each person has to chase their own dream and not try and pursue the dream of someone else.
Chetna_Kharbanda
Currently Reading: Unsound
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chetna-123.html
Latest Review: "Are You a N****r or a Doctor?" by Otto E. Stallworth Jr. MD MBA

Post by Chetna_Kharbanda »

I don't think that the author has contradicted his statement. Being a theist, I would say God directs us towards a dream and leave the choice to us to follow it. So, God definitely is the one who gives us dreams or ability to dream and we are the one who need to decide whether and how to pursuit.
Ousebian Nicholas
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ousebian-nicholas.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by Ousebian Nicholas »

Sushan wrote: 01 May 2021, 00:04 "God has created you to dream. He urges you to crave your own BIG dream. You were not created to merely carry out someone else’s. You were created to live a life of service, yes, but service can be weighty if we don’t unearth our own, unique, God-given vision." (Foreword)

The author wants his readers to break free from others' dreams and pursue their own dreams. And that have been the main purpose of writing this book, and as per the author that is the intent of God as well.

“The place where God calls you to is the place where your deep gladness and the world’s deep hunger coincide.”

But on the other hand, as per the author, our dreams are not our own dreams but which are given to us by God.

Has the author contradicted his own concept?

At the same time, can't we make our parents' or our closest ones dreams as ours and pursue them? Will it lead us to failure always?
I believe God has not given each individual a dream. Initially, when God created mankind, He had made a dream for them that they live forever on paradise earth and become many. Tending to all living things and creatures. This lifestyle was meant to be free from any cause of suffering. But an evil spirit interrupted this dream reality, causing a great plague into the world to date. But that does not mean God's dream for mankind in general is forgotten. He still has it in His memory, and He is looking forward to restore it at a proper time. For now He is gathering those worthy to live that dream in the future, when this current world of mankind will be brought to nothing.

I cannot say that God controls each individual's dream right now, because we have free will and we choose what we want to become. Neither will I say that the author contradicts himself because we all have different understanding of things. But a time will come when everyone residing here one earth will be speaking one religious language.
Fahad Afroz
Currently Reading: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fahad-baibras.html
Latest Review: Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of Expat Life by Jim Santos

Post by Fahad Afroz »

What I have understood from this is that the author is trying to tell us that, "real happiness lies in following the goals assigned to you by GOD" or maybe "God wants you to follow your goal and that is a goal set for you by the God"
Damis Seres Rodriguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis-seres-rodriguez.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Damis Seres Rodriguez »

I believe that if God gives the dream he gives the means to fulfill it. However I do agree in the sense that it is us who have to move in order to make them happen. If we don't pursue them, then it ain't God's fault when they don't happen.
Joy C
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 558
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-c.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Joy C »

I do not think the author has contradicted himself. For those who believe in God, there's a knowledge that he has an overall purpose or dream as it were for our lives, and everything we do or pursue would be in line with that. There's also the belief in God's omniscience which makes believers expect that he knows every detail about our lives. As such, every dream you'd pursue has been fore ordained or predestined by God. Furthermore, while God is omniscient and has a purpose for our lives, he does not impede our freedom of thought and or will. This is why the author says we have to pursue our own dreams. In line with these, I do not think the author's statements are contradictory.
Begin always with the end in mind. :techie-studyingbrown:
Mosa Majaja
Currently Reading: The Importance of Now
Bookshelf Size: 36

Post by Mosa Majaja »

Not a contradiction at all. From a religious perspective as there always is, everything including but not limited to dreams is of God! We are driven in every path of our existence by only him working through each and everyone of us as he lives within us and beyond. What the author basically means is that we shall let ourselves pursue our dreams flawlessly as the maker of all (God) is in control no matter what. Of course tribulations and the like might be of opposition but with him everything is possible, not to forget that he is righteous and unchanging thus making us always prosper for as far as our dreams by him are concerned. Each and everyone of us is unique and so is our dreams. All of them to be pursued, it is impelled by God. That is what one may acknowledge or not.

Return to “Discuss " Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute" by Jeff Meyer”