"You have to pursue your own dreams, but you are given your dreams by the God". Has the author contradicted himself?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through" by Jeff Meyer.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Re: "You have to pursue your own dreams, but you are given your dreams by the God". Has the author contradicted himself?

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 02 May 2021, 04:00
I too think so. It seems that this author is quite religious. So he will never deduct the God to a parent who tries to go to their own dreams through their children.

Still my point remains. As even you have said, it seems like that this God has given humans their dreams, and so He owns those dreams. If so, how can humans have their own dreams and pursue them. It will always be a 'burrowed dream'.
Indeed. The author is a pastor who clearly rejects all flavours of religion other than his own. In that connection, I don't believe he sees any dream as separable from knowing God's will or following Jesus, because those things are a sine qua non for him anyway.
That is the point. He sees it as essential to see through God or Jesus's will for the human to dream, because he believes that God has created the human's to dream, the dreams which are given to humans by the God in His creation. So a human dreaming means a human going in the path that God intended him to follow.
Sushan Ekanayake
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now

Michaeljerry309 wrote: 02 May 2021, 06:30 Just like most things concerning God and the Bible, this is another contradiction in my opinion because we really can’t be here to fulfill our dreams which the author claims are our priority and then we’d still be told God is the giver of dreams which implies we have no dreams of our own and only have God’s dreams for us which we are to fulfill which in turn kind of indicates a lack of free will. I’m not sure how other readers will feel about this
I am not sure whether the bible has contradicted itself. But in my opinion the author has contradicted saying two opposite things regarding dreaming. He invites us to dream, but then he says that the dreams are given to humans by God along with the creation. If so, did the God need to fulfil His dreams through humans? If that is true why an almighty God needed to do such a thing?
Sushan Ekanayake

britcott30 wrote: 02 May 2021, 09:37 I don’t think that is a contradiction. I think what the author meant is God gives us rights to dream, since that also one of our free will from God. So we can pursue our dreams without deviating from God’s path.
If we are given total free will, what is the necessity for one to be on the God's path. If a man is free he could be on his own way as he prefers. He could be able to dream whatever he prefers and do whatever he likes. But if there is a path laid by the God, that means that though humans are given some freedom, still the God is having most of the reigns. In that case how can one's dreams be his own dreams?
Sushan Ekanayake

Suzer6440 xyz wrote: 02 May 2021, 10:00 I believe that God has given us the opportunity to dream and to dream as big as want. What we do with our dreams is up to us individually. I don't believe that the author has contradicted himself but sharing his own beliefs
May be yes. But I have often said that when somethings happen that the pastors say "That was the God's wish". If that is true, how can humans have their own dreams and their own wishes. On the other hand, if people are having their own dreams and wishes, have those pastors and priests lied to the whole world throughout the past centuries?
Fleurine_t92
Currently Reading: Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fleurine-t92.html

Post by Fleurine_t92 »

I believe God doing his job over choosing our path. When the god gave us our own decisions time to choose, it based on ours. But dreams aren't given by god. Because it was only our imagination over ourselves. It's like how do you expect yourself over the next 40 years. Don't put yourself much efforts in present then your future will change or your dream may fail like that. The author might be lucky to make it happened. For me, I just walk over the path of god's choice not mine.
Amanda Dobson
Currently Reading: The King's Trial
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-dobson.html
Latest Review: The Quest For The Phoenix Crown by Xander T. Petersen
Reading Device: Apple

Post by Amanda Dobson »

I don’t think he contracted himself at all. It comes down to the decisions that a person makes. In this instance the author is saying that god has given you the dream but are you going to make that dream your own and build on it.
SiennaEllie
Currently Reading: The Fault in Our Stars
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-siennaellie.html
Latest Review: Let's Help You Self-Help! by Anthony Jacob Braaten

Post by SiennaEllie »

I think that he is suggesting that God gives humans our dreams and then it is up to us to fulfil them. I think that it is reinforcing the idea of free will but that god still has a plan generally
MBerretta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mberretta.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by MBerretta »

I would also like to point out that by pursuing your own dreams, you are in fact aligning yourself with the wishes of God. I don't think there's a contradiction here. I think it is meant to remind you that your dreams come from somewhere yet they are entirely your own.
yomide
Currently Reading: We are voulhire
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yomide.html
Latest Review: The Scarlet Queen: by Mitch Reinhardt

Post by yomide »

Sushan wrote: 01 May 2021, 00:59
El_limitless wrote: 01 May 2021, 00:20 What the author was basically trying to say is that God has given us all the ability to dream. A discovery and resilient pursuit of that dream is what the author was referring to in the book.
Was that only the ability that the God has given us? Does that mean the God has no control over our planet or no intention to have a control over it? Is that the reason for this world is being lead towards chaos by various people's various dreams? In that case, is dreaming a bad thing? Has the God given a chaotic ability to the human?
God didn't implant just the. ability to dream in humans. I am pretty sure He gave us free will as well as other things. What we are looking at is for us to follow our dreams, however we all have the free will not to. I think that is exactly what is causing chaos in the world, humans not following their own dreams (purpose) as given by God.
There is no point in trying to please a person who doesn't apreciate me. Besides, why do I have to try and please anyone in the first place?
Sushan Ekanayake

WADonnelly wrote: 02 May 2021, 11:15 I believe this is actually quite a complex idea as it sort of plays into free will. It is a question of whether we are free to dream our own dreams or whether we are given these dreams by God and so restricted. I think your interpretation is down to personal belief and for the author, this is that God gives us these dreams as he wants what is best for us but it is all up to us whether we follow or not.
In my personal belief, I am against the creation and the concept of an almighty God.

But, for the sake of discussion, if the God has created us and has given us the ability to dream, and if He is expecting the best for us, that means He has pre-planned our dreams too. If one chooses to not follow those dreams, then he is leading his way to chaos (as per your description).
Sushan Ekanayake

Karmon Kuhn wrote: 02 May 2021, 14:00 I think that the author is suggesting that God provides strengths to guide us in our lives, and that he calls us to live up to that potential. But I also think, that we are limited to a single expression of those strengths. I may have misunderstood what the author was saying, but that's how I interpreted it.
If God has given humans the potential to grow, then He must have let them to act and think freely. But as per the religious leaders say, there are ways and means that God expect from us to do our things. When we think of many of them, they are merely religious concepts, but has no impact on a real social life: i.e. the concept of sins. So this shows that though it is said that humans are free to think (or dream), their actions are restricted by various means.
Sushan Ekanayake

CambaReviewer wrote: 02 May 2021, 22:11 I do not think the author contradicted himself by saying on the one hand that people should pursue their dreams and then saying on the other hand that these dreams were given by God. The truth, in my opinion, is that God is our source of inspiration and dreams. I do not think pursuing our parents' dreams always ends in failure. Several family businesses that have been operational for generations are still around because younger people in the family continued to run with the dream of the founders. They appropriated them and expanded them. :tiphat:
I am not sure that those long lasted family businesses were owned and run by the young heirs of the family because they saw the same dream that the founders of the business saw. When you are handed over a fully grown business to run in a silver platter, how can you have dreams in building it from zero? It is merely following the family tradition with no innovations. Anyway, it is a safe approach rather than jumping into void with a set of totally new crazy dreams.
oluwalonimi29
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwalonimi29.html
Latest Review: Radioland by m.e. Elzey

Post by oluwalonimi29 »

A deep thought into the statement will make one realise that in the pursuit of God dreams for your life comes the realization of your own dreams too.God dreams for you is to see you prosper, be at peace and to have a better ending. So, any dream you pursue and doesn't bring you this three are not your dreams but problems.
So, I wouldn't say the writer contradicted himself
Ahbed Nadir
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahbed-nadir.html
Latest Review: There's Always Tomorrow by Jim Carr

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

This is another contradiction in my opinion because we really can’t be here to fulfill our dreams which the author claims are our priority and then we’d still be told God is the giver of dreams which implies we have no dreams of our own and only what He wants us to do is the purpose for which we are created.
"It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends"- Albus Dumbledore
Ahbed Nadir
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahbed-nadir.html
Latest Review: There's Always Tomorrow by Jim Carr

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

I feel the author has contradicted himself in this section as his text implies that we as God's children have no free will and we're only created to follow God's plan and his decisions for our lives.
"It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends"- Albus Dumbledore

Return to “Discuss " Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute" by Jeff Meyer”