What do you think about the conversational writing style and the way that the book is presented?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through" by Jeff Meyer.
Brandy_Nyongesa
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandy-nyongesa.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Re: What do you think about the conversational writing style and the way that the book is presented?

Post by Brandy_Nyongesa »

The conversational format is great as it provokes the reader's thoughts and makes one read actively. It makes the reading more enjoyable as the reader can feel the author's tone.
Aarti Jha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aarti-jha.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Aarti Jha »

This is the aspect of the book that I enjoyed the most. The books' conversational format makes it seem as if the author is attempting to communicate with us rather than merely telling us what to do. This makes the novel interesting and keeps the reader interested until the finish. Also, the 'Try this' portion increased the book's engagement level and made it more enticing to someone who is reading such books to actually help themselves.
Vidhi Adhikari
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: True Teryn
Bookshelf Size: 280
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vidhi-adhikari.html
Latest Review: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless by Mitzi Perdue

Post by Vidhi Adhikari »

Sushan wrote: 01 May 2021, 00:09 "I have divided this book into two parts. One part is focused on discovering your dream (Dream Sparks). The other, on realizing the dream (Realization Strategies). Start wherever you find that you need the most support. If you are a discipline machine, but are not really sure where you are headed, start with Part 1. If you have a dream yet find it difficult to execute, go ahead and start with Part 2." (Location 47)

As the above quote says the author has organized this book in a way that the reader can customize his reading experience as per his need. It will prevent the reader from merely reading the book from page 01 to the end.

And also the author has included a section called "Try this" at the end of each chapter. With that he has invited the author as well as given him a way to practically apply what has been discussed in the chapter.

What do you think about this conversational presentation style? Is it the best way for this sort of a self-help book? Has it increased its value and its applicability as a self-help book?
Although I enjoy the conversational style of writing a book, I feel that there is a fine line between conversational and unprofessional. There are multiple instances within the book which could have used some editing and still could have retained the writer's casual attitude.
Rizki Pradana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rizki-pradana.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Rizki Pradana »

I think the conversational writing style in this book was able to make the story much more engaging for me and it's the best way to presented the self-help book because it makes sure the reader grab the messages of this book.
Moneybag
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moneybag.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Moneybag »

I think the question should be directed to the author. The reason for this controversial form of writing is personal to the author depending on the kind of message he wanted to pass. I don't think it had any effect on the applicability of this book.
Donald Trust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donald-trust.html
Latest Review: Rosa by Barbara de la Cuesta

Post by Donald Trust »

I did not enjoy it. It wasn't easy for me to flow. Though in some way it depicts the authors tone.
Ateshi John
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ateshi-john.html
Latest Review: The Unlikely Cowboy by James E. Doucette

Post by Ateshi John »

Not only do I prefer reading books written in the conversational style, I also write in a conversational tone.
This is for the singular reason that compared to boring, old educational text styled writing, conversational actively engages the reader and speaks to them not at them.
So yes, I love the way the book is presented and it's exceptional conversational writing style.
Jerry Anozie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerry-anozie.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Jerry Anozie »

The conversational writing style for me was more like a heart-to-heart discussion and was very appropriate for this book.
Hager Salem
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 334
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hager-salem.html
Latest Review: Awesomely Awkward Dating Tips for Beginners by Tina Kowalski

Post by Hager Salem »

I like when the writer gives notes about what to expect from chapters.
Wash William
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wash-william.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by Wash William »

Yvonne Monique wrote: 03 May 2021, 03:35 I like the fact that the book does not need to be read in a specific order, but that the reader can choose to read the parts that he/she is interested in most. The conversational writing style also helps to engage the reader and makes it easier to absorb the book's content.
True but there were alot of vague statements in this book, which made me dislike the writing style. But the order of the book was fascinating.
Meenahhhh
Currently Reading: How to Live a Life of Hope
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meenahhhh.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Meenahhhh »

The books conversational writing style was one of the few things that I did like about the book. It made the book come off more as a discussion between friends. And although the concepts in the book were not particularly relatable, it did make the book more readable.
Philosopher2022
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-philosopher2022.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Philosopher2022 »

The conversational and writing style was amazing it made this book very engaging. I loved the Try this section and i followed them very carefully. The author really show hoe creative and talented he was with the way he wrote.
Online Concept
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ezel-dornelles.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Online Concept »

Saint Bruno wrote: 01 May 2021, 00:49 Of course! I think self-help books written in a conversational tone not only makes the book more engaging but makes the reader to grab the message in a more relaxed frame of mind. So this author's participatory approach is commendable.
I agree with you, the conversational style made the book appealing but the pace was really discouraging, it was too fast for a self-help book.
Okonobe Chioma Chukwuma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okonobe-chioma-chukwuma.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by Okonobe Chioma Chukwuma »

I appreciate that the author used a conversational writing approach. If the book had been written more as an argumentative article it seems like it would have been much harder to write.
Park Cherri
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-park-cherri.html
Latest Review: The Eavesdropper by Peter Wise

Post by Park Cherri »

Exactly! Self help books written in a conversational tone will help the readers get along with whatever the author is trying to imply.

Return to “Discuss " Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute" by Jeff Meyer”