What do you think about the conversational writing style and the way that the book is presented?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through" by Jeff Meyer.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Re: What do you think about the conversational writing style and the way that the book is presented?

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

WADonnelly wrote: 02 May 2021, 11:27 Personally, I like when self-help books are written with a conversational style as it makes it easy to follow and it is far easier to drop in and out of various parts of the book. Being about to read the book in whatever order the reader desires is also a great way to meet a range of readers needs.
I agree. When a book is written in a conversational manner, it will feel more like being with a mentor, and as far as I believe that is more suitable for a self-help book rather than feeling like another book. In addition there is this 'Try this' section which invites the reader to actually try things, and that increases the practicality of the book.
Sushan Ekanayake
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now

gabrielletiemi wrote: 02 May 2021, 11:50 Actually, my favorite aspect of this book was that "Try This" section. The conversational presentation style was something that really caught my attention when I read it. It makes the book a lot more interactive and practical too. I enjoyed it.
I agree. 'Try this' section makes the book unique. There are books that suggest the reader to do various things, yet this book specifically asks the reader to 'do something' and that will make the reader do it more than giving mere suggestions via a book. I think that feature was helpful to attract a wide audience for this book.
jaym_tan
Currently Reading: The Date Farm
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaym-tan.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by jaym_tan »

Writing it in a conversational tone makes the more enticing to readers, it's like the author is directly speaking to them which makes it relatable. The author made the book worth reading through this style.
Sushan Ekanayake

Karmon Kuhn wrote: 02 May 2021, 14:02 I appreciate this writing style that's part memoir, part self-help. Personally I enjoy reading about author's personal experiences as almost parables that exemplify the lessons that the reader is supposed to take away. I think that adds a lot of depth in meaning to the themes. I also think that the conversational and personal style of the author's writing helps establish him as an expert in his own way.
Yes, the author has made this book a memoir as well as a self-help book at the same time. That fact is enough for her book to be unique. But she has taken another step further and had conversed with the author, making the book more interesting as well as making the reader more engaged. With that, even she had not specifically told the reader to try the things in the book, the reader would have definitely done them.
Sushan Ekanayake

Yvonne Monique wrote: 03 May 2021, 03:35 I like the fact that the book does not need to be readed in a specific order, but that the reader can choose to read the parts that he/she is interested in most. The conversational writing style also helps to engage the reader and make it easier to absorb the book's content.
Books which give the chance for the reader to choose in which way the story goes (i.e. Goosebumps series) are the ones that usually let the reader to read the book from here and there. But here the author has done a similar thing with this self-help book too. That makes this book unique as well as interesting compared to a classic self-help book.
Sushan Ekanayake

Chizioboli wrote: 03 May 2021, 17:34 His use of conversational style is appropriate. This is because, this type of self help book requires that the reader feels as if he is in a motivation session. The reader would get a quick feel of the author's message and begin implementation immediately. Unlike other basic styles of writing, the author doesn't read the book just to achieve a reading goal, he reads to have an impactful life.
Totally agree. The author has made the reader to feel like being with a mentor rather than reading a book. I believe that that makes the book more interesting to read. Various authors try various methods to make their books interesting, and this author has gone for a unique attempt and seemingly has succeeded.
Sushan Ekanayake

Sekhmet September wrote: 03 May 2021, 22:20 I like that the author chose to write in a conversational style. It seems like the book would have been much more difficult to write (and for the reader to understand) of it had been written more as an argumentative piece, or otherwise. It definetly suits the subject and the author's style.
I never thought in that aspect. Definitely the author had to put an extra effort to write his book in a conversational or an argumentative style. It would have been much easier to write it in a simple linear way. But I think the author's extra effort has paid him very well as his book has gained many readers.
Sushan Ekanayake

jaym_tan wrote: 04 May 2021, 08:47 Writing it in a conversational tone makes the more enticing to readers, it's like the author is directly speaking to them which makes it relatable. The author made the book worth reading through this style.
It is a rare chance for the reader to actually converse with the author, and this author has given that chance to his readers. As you correctly said, this writing style makes the book more relatable to the reader and it makes the reader to attempt what the author has asked them to do. So I think it makes the book more interesting as well as making the readers motivated.
Parahiyo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-parahiyo.html
Latest Review: Learn to Love: Guide to Healing Your Disappointing Love Life by Thomas Jordan, Ph.D.

Post by Parahiyo »

I think this conversational writing style is good. The author has been able to involve the readers to physically participate by including the ''Try this'' section at the end of this chapter. This actually makes one feel like the motivational session given actively. Self-help writers should take on this form of writing.
Sakura5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sakura5.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sakura5 »

I think the presentation style is one of the best things about this book, the feature that really distinguishes it from the crowd of self-help books! I believe the "Try this" section is fundamental because in this way the reader can immediately apply the advice the author gives. Most self-help books just lecture readers on a certain topic, but with this technique, the reader is more involved and inclined to put things into practice.
Hogwarts03
Currently Reading: Shatter Me
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hogwarts03.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Hogwarts03 »

I definitely think that this style used by the author is quite commendable as the sectioning allows you to grasp what you require without having to navigate your way through hefty texts, it's easier for the reader to understand, makes the reader feel like they're in direct conversation with the author which is quite imperative for self help books, the anecdotes make the book seem more legitimate and the "Try this" section which is so much more interactive for the reader and allows them to apply what is being discussed.
Precious Naiti
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-naiti.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Precious Naiti »

A conversational style of writing makes the message easier to grasp and relate to. It is also a way fo remove the aspect of seriousness that comes with self help books. It also gives the book a unique edge that is beneficial especially to the reader.
PreciousExo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-preciousexo.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by PreciousExo »

I really enjoy conversational style books. The authors writing style added more value to the book in my opinion, it made it more engaging and relatable I might add.
Bridget Ball 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bridget-ball-1.html
Latest Review: A Script For Aspiring Women Leaders by Mark Villareal

Post by Bridget Ball 1 »

I think the conversational tone is the authors way to practice what he is preaching. When you are dealing with these types of issues, the reader can relate better if the author writes as if he is directing everything personally to you to reach the audience.
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by SamaylaM »

The conversational presentation style of this book was a great approach.

"Start wherever you find that you need the most support." - I think this approach gives the readers freedom over what they want to read and creates a positive mindset while reading this book. The "Try This" sections were also a good addition as they showed the readers that instead of just imparting wisdom, the author wanted the contents of the book to be beneficial to them in real life.

Return to “Discuss " Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute" by Jeff Meyer”