What do you think about the conversational writing style and the way that the book is presented?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through" by Jeff Meyer.
Barbie_sidhu
Currently Reading: Strong heart
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbie-sidhu.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Re: What do you think about the conversational writing style and the way that the book is presented?

Post by Barbie_sidhu »

The writing style is what I admire the most about this book. The author's not so formal way of writing is the reason why I decided to read the whole book in first place. It was easy and plain, which made the reading experience worth it.
Qer
Currently Reading: Immigrant Hustle
Bookshelf Size: 87

Post by Qer »

I like this conversational style of writing simply because it's engaging and allows the reader to pause and ponder on the questions asked and points raised. The reader unwittingly finds themselves self-assessing on their own dreams and creates hunger or drive for seeking more out of life.
Kibe_Ryan
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibe-ryan.html
Latest Review: Beyond Paris by Paul Alexander Casper

Post by Kibe_Ryan »

People turn to self help books for different reasons and this one has has offered a reader the best style to get the most out of the book. Incase a reader doesn't fall in love with the book he or she will still get useful tips without reading the whole book.
Try this section is the part I found most useful.
Ondijo Junior
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ondijo-junior.html
Latest Review: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by Ondijo Junior »

conversational tone used by the author was great and it make the read feel like they are part of the story. they can easily relate with every bit of the book and indeed this style is what i like most about the book.
Absenc Of Evidence, is Never an Evidence Of Absence
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Parahiyo wrote: 05 May 2021, 00:42 I think this conversational writing style is good. The author has been able to involve the readers to physically participate by including the ''Try this'' section at the end of this chapter. This actually makes one feel like the motivational session given actively. Self-help writers should take on this form of writing.
I agree. Most self-help books fail to actively participate the reader in to the suggested activities via the book. But here this author has taken a different approach and seemingly he has been successful. He directly says to the reader to 'Try' various acts, and as I see that motivates the reader more rather than merely suggesting them and expecting the reader to adhere to.
Sushan Ekanayake
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now

Sakura5 wrote: 05 May 2021, 04:32 I think the presentation style is one of the best things about this book, the feature that really distinguishes it from the crowd of self-help books! I believe the "Try this" section is fundamental because in this way the reader can immediately apply the advice the author gives. Most self-help books just lecture readers on a certain topic, but with this technique, the reader is more involved and inclined to put things into practice.
I agree. Only a very few will think about what they learnt and try to apply them practically unless they are shown the way how to do that practically. This author has overcome that barrier by inserting this 'Try this' section. He directly tells the reader to what to do, so it does not tire the reader by thinking further. So that increases the compliance.
Buk Nerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buk-nerd.html
Latest Review: Ribzkniks by Y M Georges

Post by Buk Nerd »

I believe the author's conversational presentation format has greatly increased the value and applicability of this book. It makes the book appear tailor-made to each reader's preference. I think more self-help books would benefit from adopting this style of delivery.
"Literature is the most agreeable way of ignoring life." - Fernando Pessoa :techie-studyinggray:
DANAWEB
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danaweb.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by DANAWEB »

Sushan wrote: 01 May 2021, 00:09 "I have divided this book into two parts. One part is focused on discovering your dream (Dream Sparks). The other, on realizing the dream (Realization Strategies). Start wherever you find that you need the most support. If you are a discipline machine, but are not really sure where you are headed, start with Part 1. If you have a dream yet find it difficult to execute, go ahead and start with Part 2." (Location 47)

As the above quote says the author has organized this book in a way that the reader can customize his reading experience as per his need. It will prevent the reader from merely reading the book from page 01 to the end.

And also the author has included a section called "Try this" at the end of each chapter. With that he has invited the author as well as given him a way to practically apply what has been discussed in the chapter.

What do you think about this conversational presentation style? Is it the best way for this sort of a self-help book? Has it increased its value and its applicability as a self-help book?
In my opinion, this does not necessarily help the reader if he really wants to get the full content of the book. The reader wants to understand what the author trying to convey in the first half of the book as the second part of the book is a directly related to the first half of the book. The reader wants to understand what the author trying to convey in the first half of the book as the second part of the book is a directly related to the first half of the book.
Sushan Ekanayake

Hogwarts03 wrote: 05 May 2021, 07:49 I definitely think that this style used by the author is quite commendable as the sectioning allows you to grasp what you require without having to navigate your way through hefty texts, it's easier for the reader to understand, makes the reader feel like they're in direct conversation with the author which is quite imperative for self help books, the anecdotes make the book seem more legitimate and the "Try this" section which is so much more interactive for the reader and allows them to apply what is being discussed.
I agree. Sectioning of a book is a great deal when the author does not intend for the reader to read it from beginning to the end. Each reader is different. What one seeks from a book might be different from what another seeks from a book . So this author gives the chance to each and every reader to what to read and in which order, and to make that easy, he has categorized them clearly and well presented.
Sushan Ekanayake

Precious Naiti wrote: 05 May 2021, 11:35 A conversational style of writing makes the message easier to grasp and relate to. It is also a way fo remove the aspect of seriousness that comes with self help books. It also gives the book a unique edge that is beneficial especially to the reader.
I agree that it is a good move to give an unique edge to the book. But what about reducing its seriousness? Shouldn't a self-help book or a book which is intended to teach something to the reader have some weight rather than a general fiction? If that is not there in the book, will the reader take it lightly and will it reduce the compliance of the reader? If that happened that won't be a good thing for the author
Sushan Ekanayake

Bridget Ball 1 wrote: 05 May 2021, 18:50 I think the conversational tone is the authors way to practice what he is preaching. When you are dealing with these types of issues, the reader can relate better if the author writes as if he is directing everything personally to you to reach the audience.
Well said. Usually a book speaks to a general audience. And as a usual general audience would do some will accept what the book says but some won't.

Here the author has taken a unique step and he has developed a method to speak directly to the reader. It is like having a personal mentor. When someone directly say you something, there is a high chance for you to comply to that. Here the author has done the same thing with his conversational writing style.
Sushan Ekanayake

SamaylaM wrote: 06 May 2021, 00:55 The conversational presentation style of this book was a great approach.

"Start wherever you find that you need the most support." - I think this approach gives the readers freedom over what they want to read and creates a positive mindset while reading this book. The "Try This" sections were also a good addition as they showed the readers that instead of just imparting wisdom, the author wanted the contents of the book to be beneficial to them in real life.
The author has done a good thing by giving the chance to the reader to choose from where to start and what to read. So the reader who is clear about in which areas he/she needs help will get benefited very much.

But I see a down point of this approach as well. What about the readers who haven't done a self-assesment yet? When they are told to start from wherever they want, then that will be like letting them go in the middle of a dessert. So I believe that for such readers there should be a self-assesment support included in the book as well.
Sushan Ekanayake

Buk Nerd wrote: 09 May 2021, 04:51 I believe the author's conversational presentation format has greatly increased the value and applicability of this book. It makes the book appear tailor-made to each reader's preference. I think more self-help books would benefit from adopting this style of delivery.
I agree. Though a book cannot be made tailor-made for each and every reader, it can be made to feel like that. Here the author has done a similar thing. By directly speaking to the reader and giving them the opportunity to choose what to read and what not to read, he has made the book to be felt like tailor-made for the reader. I too think that it is a great approach, and the other self-help books should adopt this presentation style.
Sushan Ekanayake

DANAWEB wrote: 09 May 2021, 07:50
Sushan wrote: 01 May 2021, 00:09 "I have divided this book into two parts. One part is focused on discovering your dream (Dream Sparks). The other, on realizing the dream (Realization Strategies). Start wherever you find that you need the most support. If you are a discipline machine, but are not really sure where you are headed, start with Part 1. If you have a dream yet find it difficult to execute, go ahead and start with Part 2." (Location 47)

As the above quote says the author has organized this book in a way that the reader can customize his reading experience as per his need. It will prevent the reader from merely reading the book from page 01 to the end.

And also the author has included a section called "Try this" at the end of each chapter. With that he has invited the author as well as given him a way to practically apply what has been discussed in the chapter.

What do you think about this conversational presentation style? Is it the best way for this sort of a self-help book? Has it increased its value and its applicability as a self-help book?
In my opinion, this does not necessarily help the reader if he really wants to get the full content of the book. The reader wants to understand what the author trying to convey in the first half of the book as the second part of the book is a directly related to the first half of the book. The reader wants to understand what the author trying to convey in the first half of the book as the second part of the book is a directly related to the first half of the book.
I am sorry but I really did not get you. Do you mean that the author's writing style (or the presentation style) makes it difficult for the reader to understand what is told in the book?

I see that there is a connection between the sections of the book. But as per my understanding I don't think that it is necessary for the reader to read the whole book to understand the certain lessons that the author is trying to convey.
Ahbed Nadir
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahbed-nadir.html
Latest Review: There's Always Tomorrow by Jim Carr

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

The conversational nature of this book was an unexpected but delightful surprise. I had these books when I was younger that offered different choices or different scenes that could be played out and it was always a delight to me to see how my choices and actions could lead to different eventualities. I feel the author has employed something of the same tactic here and its something to be commended. He recognizes that people are at different levels and as such need different levels of attention or teaching. This is a style that is uniquely conducive to a self-help book and I was pleased to see it.
"It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends"- Albus Dumbledore

Return to “Discuss " Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute" by Jeff Meyer”