"A good leader should not guide his/her followers, but should inspire them". Do you agree?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through" by Jeff Meyer.
63tty
Favorite Author: Tayma Tameem
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 349
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-63tty.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White
fav_author_id: 199293

Re: "A good leader should not guide his/her followers, but should inspire them". Do you agree?

Post by 63tty »

I think every leader is entitled to their own opinions. Whether they guide the followers or let them choose their own path is up to them. As long as they are there for them. It doesn't matter. Why do people make life so complicated where it does not have to be. Why does anyone have to choose this or the other. Why not try both, you know?
“If love is the answer, could you rephrase the question?”
~Lily Tomlin
Nisha Ali Saifi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Nisha Ali Saifi »

Yes, I completely agree with this. If a leader is an inspiration than the team will never lose their confidence and will power. All the team members look their leader with hope. A leader should be determined and optimistic to the goals to achieve by the team.
Danice Bondoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danice-bondoc.html
Latest Review: Immigrant Hustle by Amine Rahal

Post by Danice Bondoc »

I think it should be both because sometimes, people doesn't know a lot of things about the path that they are taking so they need guidance. This is the part where people alxo needs someone to inspire them because taking a specific path has its ups and downs so sometimes, people would think to give up.
Eriny Youssef
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eriny-youssef.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Eriny Youssef »

Sushan wrote: 01 May 2021, 00:10 "Even looking at our expert leader, Jesus, whose Word is life, we can see this lesson lived out. Jesus is not merely an itinerant preacher who directs our steps. He is a soul-stirrer who invites us to walk with Him. If our master, Jesus, leads us by walking with us and stirring us to discover, then these earthly leaders must learn to come alongside and help others discover their own best answers."
(Chapter 2, Page 9)

Most often we compare how a boss will treat his subordinates and how a leader will treat his followers. Upto now I had the idea that a leader should guide his/her followers. But this author has given leadership a new meaning claiming that it is not the leader's job to show the path and guide his/her followers towards a specific goal, but to inspire them to find their own answers and be their own guidance.

Do you agree with this 'job description' of a leader? If a leader is guiding his/her followers, will it make he/she a 'not so good' leader?
I totally agree. Inspiration is the only responsibility leaders or mentors have. But guiding sometimes leads to the production of weak, undecisive, unoriginal characters. Not from bad intentions. It's just for one person, no matter how great he or she is, there is only a limit to their perception and view on life. While some cases may require direct and precise guidance in specific parts, it should never be the general rule.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Peace Odii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace-odii.html
Latest Review: Justin's Quest by Winsome Board

Post by Peace Odii »

In the world of leadership, part of what it means to guide is to inspire followers into something. They are almost the same philosophy.
Jam_
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jam_ »

I agree that a leader should inspire their followers but also both ways combined together guiding to inspire is much better in my opinion. A good leader shall be a good influence not a bad one such there are minors who might copy what you do it might lead them to whatever such.

A good leader also know when to act up by time to time base on the current situation or event.
Unique Ego
Favorite Book: The Tales of Little Lady M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unique-ego.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Unique Ego »

Sushan wrote: 01 May 2021, 00:10 "Even looking at our expert leader, Jesus, whose Word is life, we can see this lesson lived out. Jesus is not merely an itinerant preacher who directs our steps. He is a soul-stirrer who invites us to walk with Him. If our master, Jesus, leads us by walking with us and stirring us to discover, then these earthly leaders must learn to come alongside and help others discover their own best answers."
(Chapter 2, Page 9)

Most often we compare how a boss will treat his subordinates and how a leader will treat his followers. Upto now I had the idea that a leader should guide his/her followers. But this author has given leadership a new meaning claiming that it is not the leader's job to show the path and guide his/her followers towards a specific goal, but to inspire them to find their own answers and be their own guidance.

Do you agree with this 'job description' of a leader? If a leader is guiding his/her followers, will it make he/she a 'not so good' leader?
I think the best answer is always some kind of mixture of both. I don't believe there's any leader worth his salt who doesn't cause inspiration in the people he leads. However, a leader also has to be willing to be hands-on in his approach too. If he is just talk and no deeds, he is little more than a motivational speaker. If he is all deeds and no words, he may be neglecting the human element of working with people.
tafta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tafta.html
Latest Review: The FBI Inspector by Jay Dubya

Post by tafta »

The aspect of leadership means going before followers who then walk where the leader has walked. That, I think, is what guidance is. To enable the followers to take the steps, inspiration is required. It's the energy that fires a move towards something. The leader must therefore give both, guidance and inspiration.
Black Jewel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-black-jewel.html
Latest Review: The Game by Molly Perry

Post by Black Jewel »

I disagree. I believe a good leader leads/teaches, but in such a way that the followers will some day be able to set out on their own to lead and teach others.
Fazzier
Currently Reading: Secondary Break
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fazzier.html
Latest Review: Planning for a Better, Greener Future by Peter Nelson

Post by Fazzier »

I think a good leader should do both. Inspiring and guiding your followers are both important. But I understand what the author meant by saying that a good leader should not guide his or her followers but inspire them. Guiding without inspiring is more often bound to fail, but still there is need to incorporate both for wholesome leadership.
Natalia Nazeem
Favorite Book: The Amulet of Samarkand
Currently Reading: We are Volhuire
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalia-nazeem.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Natalia Nazeem »

I think being a good leader does include inspiring their coworkers and followers, because that is memorable and impactful. However, I think leadership is a nuanced practice, one that involves inspiration and guidance at the same time - depending on the type of leader you're trying to be, I do think guidance is required in order to help your followers achieve something. Guidance here can even be a simple push in the right direction, but sometimes a push is required to get the ball rolling.
Vampire_demon
Currently Reading: At the Feet of Serenity
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vampire-demon.html
Latest Review: The New Eugenics by Conrad B. Quintyn

Post by Vampire_demon »

I fully agree and disagree with the title because the title itself says so much . As a author we should guide his/her followers but the actual question is "How will they even get across a author with out getting an inspiration and knowing them? As I think about it first the reader should get inspired and then he/she will become the authors follower then together the reader will also get inspired daily and follow his/her inspiration guides. So technically , I think the author can also be a inspiration and a guide to his/her followers at a same point.
Laura Britos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-victoria2002.html
Latest Review: The Last Time I Saw Alice by Richard Kirschenbaum

Post by Laura Britos »

(Chapter 2, Page 9)

This quote has utterly confused me. On the one hand, the world leader stems from the word lead. Meaning that followers of certain leaders have to hid orders so as to achieve something. But then, the inspirational component is absolutely necessary because a despotic ruler is not a leader, but someone who just inspires you isn't either.
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: The Man In the cafe by Michael J Pilkington

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

I favour guidance over inspiration. If the aim is to attain a specific goal, most followers would benefit from following the leader's lead. Inspiration, on the other hand, requires a level of self-reliance and discipline which many people struggle with.
Sohana Hasan
Favorite Author: Sarah J. Maas
Favorite Book: shadow and bones
Currently Reading: The Beautiful
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sohana-hasan.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick
fav_author_id: 2719

Post by Sohana Hasan »

I don’t believe that guiding their followers makes a leader “bad”. Actually, I’d say that it’s quite the opposite. While I agree that leaders shouldn’t control their followers’ every move, there should be some form of guidance as a way of supporting them.

Return to “Discuss " Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute" by Jeff Meyer”