"A good leader should not guide his/her followers, but should inspire them". Do you agree?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through" by Jeff Meyer.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

"A good leader should not guide his/her followers, but should inspire them". Do you agree?

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

"Even looking at our expert leader, Jesus, whose Word is life, we can see this lesson lived out. Jesus is not merely an itinerant preacher who directs our steps. He is a soul-stirrer who invites us to walk with Him. If our master, Jesus, leads us by walking with us and stirring us to discover, then these earthly leaders must learn to come alongside and help others discover their own best answers."
(Chapter 2, Page 9)

Most often we compare how a boss will treat his subordinates and how a leader will treat his followers. Upto now I had the idea that a leader should guide his/her followers. But this author has given leadership a new meaning claiming that it is not the leader's job to show the path and guide his/her followers towards a specific goal, but to inspire them to find their own answers and be their own guidance.

Do you agree with this 'job description' of a leader? If a leader is guiding his/her followers, will it make he/she a 'not so good' leader?
S P
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s-p.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe

Post by S P »

I think it's definitely fair to say that leaders should inspire their followers. However, even Jesus himself offered guidance to his followers through the words of his parables. I think that good leaders need aspects of both in order to be successful.
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

I disagree. I leader should also know what his/her followers need. You can be inspired to do things but feel lost along the way.
To me, it also depends on what kind of followers a leader has in order to know how to make them work together as a team. Some followers need guidance while the others are self-sufficient enough.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
Fola Moni
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fola-moni.html
Latest Review: Moonlight Serenade by Terry Mark

Post by Fola Moni »

I completely disagree. The essence of leadership is to guide and blaze the trail for your followers to follow. Of course, inspire them by all means but remember, everyone is different and thus, need different rules.

Overall, I believe the best way is to guide and inspire them, and the best example is Christ himself. He's the King of inspiration, but He has also left us a guidance booklet, the bible.
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

A leader can guide, inspire, advise, and so on. They usually are appointed by a group who feel that the person can speak on their behalf. Jesus did guide his followers (in my opinion) or else there wouldn't be a Gospel. But he also inspired and advised them.
I think the author has in mind the type of leaders who force their opinion on others. There's my change! :tiphat:
Reema Aydieh
Currently Reading: Everyone in My Family Has Killed Someone
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reema-aydieh.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Reema Aydieh »

Yes, a leader needs to inspire but they also need to lead and guide. It’s a great responsibility to lead people and it takes a lot to make people believe in you enough to follow. That’s why inspiration should be hand in hand with guidance.
“Just keep swimming.”
Kenna Ridzi
Currently Reading: Iron Gold
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenna-ridzi.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by Kenna Ridzi »

S P wrote: 01 May 2021, 04:43 I think it's definitely fair to say that leaders should inspire their followers. However, even Jesus himself offered guidance to his followers through the words of his parables. I think that good leaders need aspects of both in order to be successful.
I agree, good leaders should both inspire and guide their followers. However, I believe inspiration is better than guidance. Inspiration opens your eyes to new possibilities, new perspectives, essentially guiding in itself because the act of inspiring someone makes them want to do or create something. Guiding is having a direct influence on a course of action, and is that not what inspiration does? Hope this makes sense.
Hogwarts03
Currently Reading: Shatter Me
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hogwarts03.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Hogwarts03 »

I do think it's important for a leader to inspire their followers, because what's leadership without inspiration?

However, I'll have to disagree. A leader can inspire followers but they can feel uncertain, lost or don't know what to do or the correct path. The essence of guidance is to create a path and examples which followers can easily relate to and feel more motivated by. There are also some who can be inspired and want to do the right thing, but don't have the ideas or tools to carry out whatever they want to do, which is why guidance is imperative in leadership.
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

I think that leaders need to guide, inspire, and instruct. Jesus inspired his followers by using parables. He guided them by setting an example. And in some cases, Jesus also had to instruct his followers by giving them commands. A balanced leadership style encompasses all three.
Jasy95
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasy95.html
Latest Review: The Data Collectors by Danielle Palli

Post by Jasy95 »

I personally think this is relevant to the phrase "If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish, you feed him for a lifetime.” I think the best kind of leadership comes from inspiring and teaching people how they can do things on their own. If they continue to rely your guidance, they aren't truly going to benefit as much as if you inspire them to be able to do things on their own.
Sushan Ekanayake
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star

S P wrote: 01 May 2021, 04:43 I think it's definitely fair to say that leaders should inspire their followers. However, even Jesus himself offered guidance to his followers through the words of his parables. I think that good leaders need aspects of both in order to be successful.
I too think so. A leader should identify the strengths and weaknesses of his/her followers. Some of them may only need inspiration, but others may need guidance. If you try to inspire the ones who need guidance, you will fail. At the same time, if you try to pamper the ones who just need some inspiration, then they will leave you. A good leader should balance these aspects.
Sushan Ekanayake

Dzejn_Crvena wrote: 01 May 2021, 06:48 I disagree. I leader should also know what his/her followers need. You can be inspired to do things but feel lost along the way.
To me, it also depends on what kind of followers a leader has in order to know how to make them work together as a team. Some followers need guidance while the others are self-sufficient enough.
Exactly. You have spoken my mind. A leader will have a set of followers with different qualities. It is essential to identify the individuals that follow you.

There will be followers who will do things exactly as they are being told, yet will fail if let to decide and work alone. At the same time there will be ones who have the ability to decide and plan, yet unable to execute them. So a good leader should identify these various qualities and direct them towards a common goal. So that directing is essential to achieve a common goal.
Sushan Ekanayake

Fola_M wrote: 01 May 2021, 09:43 I completely disagree. The essence of leadership is to guide and blaze the trail for your followers to follow. Of course, inspire them by all means but remember, everyone is different and thus, need different rules.

Overall, I believe the best way is to guide and inspire them, and the best example is Christ himself. He's the King of inspiration, but He has also left us a guidance booklet, the bible.
I disagree. Bible was not a creation of Jesus, and he did not use it to guide people, but his own teachings. The old testament is older than Jesus. So definitely it is not his guidelines book.

But I agree with your thoughts on guiding and directing. The followers who need guidance should be guided without trying to inspire them. Such an attempt on inspiration will leave them stranded.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: Truth and Evil
Bookshelf Size: 744
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: All You'll Never Be (Kindle Edition) by E. L. Neve

Post by Bertha Jackson »

Good leadership is a combination of guidance and inspiration. You have to show the way and set the example for them to follow.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Sushan Ekanayake

KristyKhem wrote: 01 May 2021, 14:52 I think that leaders need to guide, inspire, and instruct. Jesus inspired his followers by using parables. He guided them by setting an example. And in some cases, Jesus also had to instruct his followers by giving them commands. A balanced leadership style encompasses all three.
A leader should set an example of himself, that is true. Any good will be a good example. Yet, I can't fully agree regarding a leader commanding his/her followers. A leader should have a command over his/her followers. But that does not mean that he/she has to order around and boss them. Being persistent and straight when making decisions will give your followers the needed inspiration. That will be more than enough to guide them towards a preplanned goal.

Return to “Discuss " Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute" by Jeff Meyer”