"A good leader should not guide his/her followers, but should inspire them". Do you agree?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through" by Jeff Meyer.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Re: "A good leader should not guide his/her followers, but should inspire them". Do you agree?

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Amina Yusuf wrote: 17 May 2021, 13:50 I believe a good leader should guide as well as inspire his followers. They are both important qualities. Through the course of history, leaders have been shown to lead by example through their actions, which serves as a guide for their followers. If a leader is cruel, his followers will consider that right and they will in turn take inspiration from that. Same thing applies to a leader who is good.
Well said. Religious leaders have produced priests but dictators have produced some more dictators. Followers always look up to their leader and majority of them believe that their leader's actions are always correct. So they take that as their inspiration and they develop or transform themselves accordingly. How that will result will depend on the quality of the inspiration that they got from their leader.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Terkula Azakere wrote: 17 May 2021, 16:14 One of the best ways a leader can inspire his followers is by living an exemplary life style that is devoid of hypocrisy and deceit. His words should be as good as his actions. Such a leader should also learn to love unconditionally and without any ulterior motive.
Of course. A leader should do what he says and say what he does. He should not have any hidden agendas but always work towards the betterment of his team. A leader should be a selfless person and that will inspire his followers to do their job with honesty and the duty bound feeling. That example will make the team work more efficient.
Shreya Mishra 3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreya-mishra-3.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Shreya Mishra 3 »

I agree on the point that a leader should inspire them but it is equally important to guide them. Inspiration will help them to start the difficult path which will lead to the success but guidance of the leader is the thing that will help them to pass the hurdles in the path.
Mercy Osmond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-osmond.html
Latest Review: The Trials of Uwe, Parts I, II and III by Steven L Masia

Post by Mercy Osmond »

I disagree, a leader should guide and inspire his followers. Because is through guidance the followers will be able to know where he/she is going. If a leader only inspires and don't guide the followers, they will only have the knowledge of what they are doing and they will be like a lost sheep because they have no sense of direction.
Let's take for instance Zoom app. If the leader don't teach or guide his workers on how to use it, how will they work?
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 446
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

A good leader should first walk what his talk. Then only people will follow by getting inspiration and guidance by way of commandments.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Black Tulip
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Black Tulip »

yes.. when there is inspiration, a leader doesn't have to ask for respect or others to follow him.. others will JUST follow him..
El_limitless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-limitless.html
Latest Review: Public Hostage Public Ransom by William Bronston MD

Post by El_limitless »

Yeah, I agree. A leader shouldn't just guide his followers with his words; he should inspire them by his actions. When they see him act a certain way, they will naturally be drawn to follow his example.
Mahdis Sadeghi
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mahdis-sadeghi.html
Latest Review: Eggstravagant Easter Eggs by Maya Elston

Post by Mahdis Sadeghi »

I agree with the statement that a leader should inspire her/his followers but inspiration all by itself won't have the complete effect or help the follower in their path. I believe the leader should guide the follower and he/ she should let the follower choose for themselves. They should neutrally guide them so the follower should still have his / her own choice to whether follow the guidance or not. Overall, I believe that a leader should both inspire her/ his followers as well as guide them in a non-demanding manner.
Yusuf11
Currently Reading: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by Yusuf11 »

I disagree. The work of a leader is to lead his people and control them. He might inspire them but that's not his main job. Otherwise, we all are capable of inspiring one another. Without a leader to guide us, everyone would do things according to their will and the world would be messy than ever.
Petluver1962
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Petluver1962 »

:) I believe they should do both. I have found that guiding and teaching both inspire me more. If you give a personal touch people respond better.
Ghuddie eso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ghuddie-eso.html
Latest Review: Jesus, Prosperity Gospel and Poverty in Africa by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Ghuddie eso »

I agree one hundred percent. A leader shouldn't just guide from the sidelines. He should inspire the followers by being the example they see. He should what he wants them to do and watch them get motivated to follow his lead.
meike schroeder
Currently Reading: Say my name
Bookshelf Size: 393
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meike-schroeder.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Post by meike schroeder »

You teach by the example of your life. Guidance without examples is just not posible. Being a good leader is helping each individual to work with the best qualities they have.
The_Vivian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-vivian.html
Latest Review: Shield Down by William de Berg

Post by The_Vivian »

Well I think that leaders are meant to have both characteristics as they kind of compliment each other. How would one inspire another if they cannot guide them. Secondly there are also several types of followers. In as much as there as some who are stirred up after being inspired, there are also others who needs to be guided. it is therefore my opinion that a leader should have both characteristics
Worm Reader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-worm-reader.html
Latest Review: Jane Grace: Library of Light by Trace Sonnleitner

Post by Worm Reader »

I honestly believe that the ability to earn the title of leader, you must inspire others via your actions and statements in available to support the team in seeing and sharing a common vision. When a leader guides them without motivating them, it is not as effective as inspiring them at the same time.
Liveforchrist51
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liveforchrist51.html
Latest Review: The Hundredth Time Around by Stacy Lee

Post by Liveforchrist51 »

I completely agree. Anyone can be a guide, but that does not mean that person has actually achieved what they are guiding others to do. Inspiration comes from seeing someone who has gone through it or is going through it, overcome it. Guiding someone can have zero passion or desire. Inspiration brings the changes needed to make something actually happen.

Return to “Discuss " Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute" by Jeff Meyer”