"A good leader should not guide his/her followers, but should inspire them". Do you agree?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through" by Jeff Meyer.
Ruchi Raina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruchi-raina.html
Latest Review: House of Ashes by Margaret Blythe

Re: "A good leader should not guide his/her followers, but should inspire them". Do you agree?

Post by Ruchi Raina »

I agree that a true leader should inspire his followers as without inspiration, a person is just a slave being commanded. A true leader inspires his followers and if someone loses his way, he will steer him in the right direction.
Cwaganagwa Dorothy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cwaganagwa-dorothy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cwaganagwa Dorothy »

You see to assist a person you may have to guide or inspire him or her. In the author's case, I think that he had to be inspired and also inspired to get to where he is today. To inspire, you have to tell about a challenge and then give a solution because then your advice would seem realistic. But when you guide a person, for example if the person may find your ways of guidance incoherent with his or her perception. That person may not or will not take your guidance as important. Then inspiring becomes the logical way.
Anjali Patil
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anjali-patil.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Anjali Patil »

i think it depends on the follower if he will achieve what he wants just by getting inspired by his leader or will he need more guidance along with his inspiration. So that leaves us with a conclusion that the leader's part will depend upon the follower who is willing to walk on his leader's path.
Apeksha Pant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Apeksha Pant »

Completely agree. And this is the very difference between leaders and bosses . A leader will inspire you to give in your best . He will lead you on the path to become the best version of you . This can either be by guidance, motivation, setting examples or just standing behind you and supporting
Sasha_100
Favorite Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Currently Reading: City of Ghosts
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sasha-100.html
Latest Review: Heroes of Atlantis by Ryan Carriere
fav_author_id: 2502

Post by Sasha_100 »

I find it true and agree. Because the way human psychology works is that we work better with passion and motivation and not commands.

Even if someone guide me personally, I might not follow them all the way if there's no inspiration.
Maria_Kubicova
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-kubicova.html
Latest Review: Tales from the Gray Area by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Maria_Kubicova »

I agree. Being able to inspire people is undoubtedly an important aspect of being a leader. People need the motivation to follow someone, and you can encourage them by showing them how alternative decisions might affect their lives for the better. But a competent leader should also understand what his or her supporters need and act accordingly.
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

I feel that leaders should offer guidance to their followers but also think true leaders do more than just guide. They must inspire their followers to do even more and even better.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Ashika Sharma
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Ashika Sharma »

Definitely! A leader inspires his/ her followers rather than guiding them to do this or that. No doubt guidance is equally needed for one to achieve something they desire for but a leader is the one who can inspire a lot of them with his acts.
Shakiru A
Currently Reading: Bloody Redemption
Bookshelf Size: 31

Post by Shakiru A »

A good leader to me is someone that can influence me to achieve my task and purposes not someone that's adopted a poor leadership model.
Laksha Maria Charbel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laksha-maria-charbel.html
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA
Reading Device: B08KKD61CM

Post by Laksha Maria Charbel »

It is my humble opinion that Lord Jesus cannot be compared to a human leader. He is the creator of mankind, who came on Earth to guide us and lead us into the path of righteousness and truth. He is wisdom in himself.
The biggest lesson a human leader can learn from the Lord is to lead by example.
In terms of leadership, both inspiration, and guidance must be delicately balanced to benefit the followers. A good leader is able to understand the abilities and shortcomings of his team. He/She is also able to help them overcome their shortcomings and utilize their strengths to reach the goal.
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA
Ondijo Junior
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ondijo-junior.html
Latest Review: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by Ondijo Junior »

I disagree here, a lead is a mentor he should show his fellow how to rule to be respect a leader has to guide people behind them, not necessarily mistreating them but guiding them in order for them to be productive
Absenc Of Evidence, is Never an Evidence Of Absence
Kuchi Mercy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kuchi-mercy.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by Kuchi Mercy »

Leaders should inspire their followers into discovering themselves and choosing a path for themselves. When this is achieved, the guidance can come in. This would practically involve guiding the follower in their chosen path, not necessarily choosing the path for them.
Heidadela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidadela.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Heidadela »

One objective of efficient leadership is to helps others to grow in their own space. When subjects have to follow what the leader wants done, they remain stagnant and their opportunity for growth is snipped by orders.
Jesus allowed his disciples to grow in their space, with His guidance and presence. If He had just given orders instead of guiding, the disciples would not have had the ability to shake the world after Christ ascended to heaven. Allowing surbordinates to think out of their own box not only helps them, but also helps enhance production because people have different ideas. The diversity of ideas enlarges the 'skill pool' of any organisation. It is true that a good leader should inspire others by setting a good example instead of just bidding others to follow him.
K M H P Devi
Currently Reading: Pearl River Mansion
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-m-h-p-devi.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by K M H P Devi »

A leader should guide them, teach them and Inspire them at the same time. There will always be a time where a leader is not available for guidance but by teaching and inspiring them his followers will thrive even in his absence. A leader should always make his followers capable of looking after them any know they are in right path even in his absence. He/She need make his/her followers independent at the end, make them leaders for next generations.
Zairamae Boncodin
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Zairamae Boncodin »

I disagree. Bible was not a creation of Jesus, and he did not use it to guide people, but his own teachings. The old testament is older than Jesus. So definitely it is not his guidelines book.

But I agree with your thoughts on guiding and directing. The followers who need guidance should be guided without trying to inspire them. Such an attempt on inspiration will leave them strande

Return to “Discuss " Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute" by Jeff Meyer”