"A good leader should not guide his/her followers, but should inspire them". Do you agree?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through" by Jeff Meyer.
Khushboo Barwar
Favorite Book: Inertia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khushboo-barwar.html
Latest Review: The Price of Dreams by Jerry A. Greenberg
Reading Device: B07XVJZPKZ

Re: "A good leader should not guide his/her followers, but should inspire them". Do you agree?

Post by Khushboo Barwar »

As much I like the idea of a leader who inspires people to find their voices, I can’t help but think that sometimes you don’t need an inspiring figure to make you motivated. When you’re really down, all you need is a shoulder pat, a gentle reminder that everything’s gonna be fine. Being only inspiring and not guiding will create the problem of the leader being too ideal to pursue.
Thabo Sibanda 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thabo-sibanda-1.html
Latest Review: Going Gone by Abraham Lopez

Post by Thabo Sibanda 1 »

A good leader should definitely be a role model and an marvel to watch. This should be achieved not by agitation or fierceness but by simple logistics of good personal and professional integrity. A good leader should be far enough to inspire but close enough to conversate.
Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chukwuebuka-ifedigbo.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo »

An ability to guide and inspire people are not mutually exclusive qualities of a leader. As much as a leader must guide, he should also inspire his followers. Guidance acts as a form of mentorship and ensures that there are no room for errors.
Lady-of-Literature
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-of-literature.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Lady-of-Literature »

I don't see why it can't be both. If you want inspiration then perhaps what you desire is a motivational speaker, but leaders should guide you, they should point you in a direction - ideally, one they have taken or at least have learned from.
Laurina Michael Olowoniran
Currently Reading: Be the Change: The Future is in Your Hands
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurina-olowo.html
Latest Review: Mister Pushkin Sees The Light by AC Michael

Post by Laurina Michael Olowoniran »

A Lead-er leads, guides, and inspires. While it's good to let the followers use initiative by finding their oaths, they must be able to come back to their leader for guidance when they seem lost. For instance, As parents, we are leaders, there are times you will hold the hands of your children, at other times you let them take initiative but with your ever-present assurance that you'll be there when they need help.
Emily_Jen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-jen.html
Latest Review: Social Media Marketing Strategy by S. M. H. Gibson

Post by Emily_Jen »

I think they mean the same thing. Jesus inspired his disciples by taking the lead for them to follow. In taking the lead, the disciples were guided by the path he followed. You don't have to tell people what to do for them to learn. They can also learn by observing their leader. Sadly, these days, leaders are more or less hypocrites.
Nancy Morara
Currently Reading: We are voulhire
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancy-morara.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Nancy Morara »

Speaking of inspiration, remember those days when motivational speaker were brought to school to inspire the students. Once the session started till the end, each and every student would be totally inspired, and once the day end their motivation decreased. Do you want to know the reason why this happened? When the speaker left after those sessions, there was no one to guide the students on what to do. So I would disagree and just say, just like a leader should inspire there subordinates, they should also guide them, as it is through guidance one is reminded of there end goal. It's also the reason why people are encouraged to have mentors, for guidance and inspiration.
Nancy Morara
Currently Reading: We are voulhire
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancy-morara.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Nancy Morara »

Speaking of inspiration, remember those days when motivational speaker were brought to school to inspire the students. Once the session started till the end, each and every student would be totally inspired, and once the day end their motivation decreased. Do you want to know the reason why this happened? When the speaker left after those sessions, there was no one to guide the students on what to do. So I would disagree and just say, just like a leader should inspire there subordinates, they should also guide them, as it is through guidance one is reminded of there end goal. It's also the reason why people are encouraged to have mentors, for guidance and inspiration.
Faith - Benny Any
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faith-benny-any.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Faith - Benny Any »

I feel he wanted to say "a good leader should not only guide his followers, but also inspire them". When you inspire them, guiding them becomes very easy.
Joseph Dunn
Currently Reading: The Paris mysteries
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-dunn.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Post by Joseph Dunn »

I don't see leadership as a "one size fits all" proposition: some leaders may find the need to guide their followers, particularly when that lead. Leadership must often be responsive and flexible: a leader must often be what's needed in a specific moment.
Akshi Porwal
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshi-porwal.html
Latest Review: The Heat Is On by Afzal (Al) Sovani

Post by Akshi Porwal »

No, I disagree. A good leader is one who can do both. To Be able to inspire and then guide people to their goals is what makes a good leader.
k_madhu_jha
Currently Reading: There's a Rooster in My Bathroom!
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-madhu-jha.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by k_madhu_jha »

Oh yes. That would be dominance not leadership if one is just telling his or her followers to follow. You inspire them and they will respect you, they will be honest to you.
Aarti Jha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aarti-jha.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Aarti Jha »

The author's "job description of a leader" does not resonate with me. Every member of a group has various needs, and it is the leader's role to identify those needs, then show his followers the road and guide them along it. For me, leadership entails both the traits of showing the way and directing his followers, as well as inspiring them in such a way that they can achieve their goals.
Brandy_Nyongesa
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandy-nyongesa.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Brandy_Nyongesa »

A leader should be able to inspire and also guide. Followers learn from their masters through guidance. Leading by example. The followers get inspired by appreciating their leaders' expertise. Hence, guidance and inspiration go hand in hand.
Jose Josphat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jose-josphat.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Jose Josphat »

This is my view: It is impossible to separate 'to guide' and 'to inspire.' Oxford dictionary explains the word guide as to influence the behavior or development of. Also, it explains the word inspire as to fill (someone) with the urge or ability to do or feel something. While reading the Gospels (Bible), I observe Jesus guiding and inspiring His following, all at the same time. The most proficient leader carries out these two important aspects of leadership concurrently.
I therefore disagree.

Return to “Discuss " Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute" by Jeff Meyer”