What do you think of the "Try This" sections of the book?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through" by Jeff Meyer.
Bridget Ball 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bridget-ball-1.html
Latest Review: A Script For Aspiring Women Leaders by Mark Villareal

Re: What do you think of the "Try This" sections of the book?

Post by Bridget Ball 1 »

I like some of the Try This section, but I think the majority of the readers will be Christian to begin with and would be pointless to those who already do the practices. The Baptists and Catholics will most likely like the section, because it is heavily emphasized in both denominations.
OB Brian
Currently Reading: Shame Off You
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ob-brian.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventure by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by OB Brian »

smolbird wrote: 01 May 2021, 00:21 I was excited to know that there were exercises after each lesson, but I was a little disappointed when I saw that the exercises weren't entirely focused on the "spark your dream" aspect of the book. A lot of the exercises had something to do with strengthening your bond with God or how you and others can pursue Him. I couldn't do many of these exercises as I didn't agree with the author's statements. What's your opinion on these sections? Did you complete the exercises? If you did, have you noticed any changes in your life?
Perhaps we are looking at this whole thing the wrong way. No I haven't tried the "Try This" section. But who is to say that finding God is not the dream?
Ari Martinez
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Victoria's Choice
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ari-martinez.html
Latest Review: Finding A Way Forward by Karen Games

Post by Ari Martinez »

I find that "Try This" sections in books usually help a lot of people who need a little guidance in knowing how to implement certain aspects of self-help books, so those types of sections are always welcome to me. I am personally religious so I didn't mind the exercises suggested by the author; however, I do wish the author would have made it clear that this was a Christian-based book on the title or cover.
angelanikkicea
Favorite Author: Haruki Murakami
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angelanikkicea.html
Latest Review: Sex and the Sixty Something Guy by Mr. X
fav_author_id: 2566

Post by angelanikkicea »

I actually like it because it makes the book more interactive to its readers. As a reader, I get to understand and apply the concepts that I have learned through this sections.
Mohamadu Abdulai
Currently Reading: Next Stage
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by Mohamadu Abdulai »

I was excited to know that there were exercises after each lesson, but I was a little disappointed when I saw that the exercises weren't entirely focused on the "spark your dream" aspect of the book. A lot of the exercises had something to do with strengthening your bond with God or how you and others can pursue Him.
Buk Nerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buk-nerd.html
Latest Review: Ribzkniks by Y M Georges

Post by Buk Nerd »

I appreciate when self-help books have practical exercise sections to help solidify what is learned. I was equally disappointed to find that a lot of the exercises had more to do with religion than not. I did not bother to implement the exercises as it did not align with what I was looking for.
"Literature is the most agreeable way of ignoring life." - Fernando Pessoa :techie-studyinggray:
DANAWEB
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danaweb.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by DANAWEB »

The author has primarily focused on spiritual aspect of exercises and thought processes in "Try this "section of the book. Whilst this will appeal to the followers of Christianity, the readers who are following other religions will find it bit difficult to comprehend. Having said that, I found many useful tips one can try out which will assist in developing new skills.
Ahbed Nadir
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahbed-nadir.html
Latest Review: There's Always Tomorrow by Jim Carr

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

The try this sections while initially interesting turned to a repetitive and somewhat unnecessary exercises for mainly Christian people. I didn't really enjoy that.
"It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends"- Albus Dumbledore
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

I think the point of the "try this" section is to simply apply what you have learned from that chapter. It takes the reader from casually reading the book to actively engaging in the book. Sorry you were disappointed with the way the author did that in this book. I have not finished the book yet, but so far I have just read through the try this sections, instead of trying them. I am more trying to finish the book than necessarily apply the principles yet.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
Vine Michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vine-michael.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Vine Michael »

I personally love reading interactive books that have exercises at the end. For me the exercises are easy to do. I can't really say I've seen much changes since I have not finished the book but I believe I will.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I enjoyed these sections. They are a good way to go back and review each chapter and refocus on the main points. It didn't bother me that many of these sections had religious activities since the author was very open and forthcoming about his beliefs.
Mehwish Qaiser
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mehwish-qaiser.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Mehwish Qaiser »

KristyKhem wrote: 01 May 2021, 15:02 This book was written from a religious perspective, so people who resonate with the religious themes will really enjoy completing the little activities in the "Try This" sections. I always enjoy reading interactive books. I think it shows that the author cares about his readers and wants them to understand the concepts he presents in his book. Doing activities while reading is also fun because it breaks the monotony of reading. and makes the book less boring.
Although the book is written from a religious perspective, it should still take into account non-religious readers who may want to benefit from the insights as well, but obviously, information is available to both so it's alright if the author had a more religious focus, but they could have also released a book without that focus for the rest of the community.
jaym_tan
Currently Reading: The Date Farm
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaym-tan.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by jaym_tan »

For people who are religious, they will really love the "Try This" sections since they ca relate well to the theme in the book. I admit they do seem fun and reflective.
ROSEY-ANN
Favorite Book: Winning the War on Cancer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roseyann.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by ROSEY-ANN »

I think the "Try This" section added value to the book .It have the reader actionable steps that could be taken for personal development. This made the book practical.It have the reader something to try which is always a good start to any kind of transformation. You had the option of evaluating the author's suggestions.
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Past Speaks by Geoff McCue

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

I think the exercises serve as guides for an activity. For example, in the meditation exercise from Lesson 3, I will follow the procedure, but I will substitute the suggested resources with something similar. I think the goal is to develop a habit, so it's ok to improvise or substitute to achieve similar results.

Return to “Discuss " Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute" by Jeff Meyer”