What are your thoughts on "When you want to change, strategies are more helpful than will power.?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through" by Jeff Meyer.
E Daves
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-daves.html
Latest Review: Zero the Hero! by Paul Gurgol

Re: What are your thoughts on "When you want to change, strategies are more helpful than will power.?

Post by E Daves »

Sincerely, I believe that strategy and will power related. While strategies are crucial for adhering to your success game plan, will power provides you the courage and tenacity you need to get up and get things done.
E Daves
Currently Reading:

Post by E Daves »

When it comes to transformation, I believe will power occasionally triumphs over strategies. You can have all the plans and tactics in the world but lack the motivation to carry them through. Additionally, your determination to change will aid you in creating a strategy or change plan.
E Daves
Currently Reading:

Post by E Daves »

A person actually needs both strategy and will power if they truly wish to change. It doesn't matter how much you want to follow your dreams and make a difference if you don't have a strategy to make them a reality.
E Daves
Currently Reading:

Post by E Daves »

Joy C wrote: 09 May 2021, 17:23 I agree fully with this assertion. In my opinion, strategies could just be the push your will needs to pull through with the change you seek.
You won't be able to make any meaningful change if you don't first plan and or map out a path towards the end goal. That is not to say your will power is unimportant. Rather, strategies give your will power fuel to ride.
Both are equally significant. You might have a step-by-step strategy on how to relocate, change employment, or modify your romantic situation. You won't take that first step, though, if you lack the necessary willpower. When you can't see the other steps, willpower enables you to take the first step of trust.
E Daves
Currently Reading:

Post by E Daves »

cookiedough wrote: 17 May 2021, 21:07 It depends. In some cases, willpower is needed more than strategy. For example, let's say you're running a marathon and you're feeling tired in the last lap. Willpower will get you to the finishing line. In other cases, strategy is needed more.
Yes, I agree with you. Both are required, but depending on the individual, one may be more important than the other. People build a lot of new habits, come up with a plan, and when they lose interest, they stop doing them. Willpower simply isn't there, and it makes a huge difference.
Jane Ogwang
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-ogwang.html
Latest Review: Dr. Marsha and the Case of the Missing Marshmallows and Hotdogs by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Jane Ogwang »

In other words, motivation can only take you so far, your strategy and discipline are what actually make the difference. I agree with the author on this.
Charles lib
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charles-lib.html
Latest Review: Unicorns Know Magic by Charles Adkins

Post by Charles lib »

Strategies are much more important than willpower for me. Willpower can be affected by health, circumstance, and peer pressure among other things. Strategies, on the other hand, are maps to success. Even if you go off the plan, you can return to it and pick up where you left off. If you're not achieving the success you want, willpower will fail you while strategies can be changed to fit new circumstances.
Flourish Sunday
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flourish-sunday.html
Latest Review: 9 Rules to Dominate Your Money and Learn What 67% of Adults Don’t Know by Finley Lewis

Post by Flourish Sunday »

Strategies, in my opinion, outweigh willpower any day since it is impossible to succeed in life solely via the use of willpower. An individual who has a plan of action has some direction and knows what to do.
Cherrie Rosaldo
Favorite Author: C. S. Lewis
Favorite Book: David's Sling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cherrie-rosaldo.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak
fav_author_id: 4569

Post by Cherrie Rosaldo »

Well strategies will worked if coupled not just with will power but with patience and perseverance. I also believe in the power of consistency and discipline :D
Monkeymoney
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monkeymoney.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Monkeymoney »

I think the both work hand in hand, if you have the will power to do something, but no strategy for it, there is every tendency that you might not achieve your goals. Same thing goes for when you have the strategy but no willpower.
Okonobe Chioma Chukwuma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okonobe-chioma-chukwuma.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by Okonobe Chioma Chukwuma »

For me, strategies are far more crucial than willpower. Health, circumstance, and peer pressure are a few factors that can influence willpower. Contrarily, strategies are road maps to success. Even if you deviate from the plan, you can get back on track and continue where you left off. Willpower will let you down if you're not having the success you want, but techniques may be altered to work in different situations.
Victor Ayub Migos
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victor-ayub-migos.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Victor Ayub Migos »

Will power is like yearning for something while strategizing is like making careful and calculated plans to achieve those desires. Will power is hope while strategizing is hope with actions making it alive, achievable, and redeemable. It's better to strategize things, they are easily achievable.
Roderick Voss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roderick-voss.html
Latest Review: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude by Anthony A. Morris

Post by Roderick Voss »

A strategy ensures that we are on the right track, and when willpower wanes, it reminds us of the end goal and how our current actions contribute to what we are working towards.
Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prince-oyedeji-oyeleke-jayeola.html
Latest Review: The Targeted Fictional Trilogy by DJ Chris

Post by Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola »

I agree with the author on this it is not enough to have a strong will but having strategy is more vital. Willpower wouldn't be effective if there are no strategies to use in following ones dream.
Riya Sarkar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riya-sarkar.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Riya Sarkar »

The first part of the quote "When you want to change" indicates that the will power is already existing up to a certain extent and in that case, the quote stands correct.

However, in case, there is a lack of will power then it becomes crucial that it should be there because without it, everything is rendered moot.

Return to “Discuss " Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute" by Jeff Meyer”