What are your thoughts on "When you want to change, strategies are more helpful than will power.?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through" by Jeff Meyer.
Blessing Otuokere
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-otuokere.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Re: What are your thoughts on "When you want to change, strategies are more helpful than will power.?

Post by Blessing Otuokere »

Being strategically minded is more crucial than having strong willpower because the former does not always translate into success. A strategy provides direction and informs a person of the necessary path of action.
Jakub Bystrowski
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jakub-bystrowski.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Jakub Bystrowski »

I don't quite agree with the author here. While strategies are important, one with no will power is useless. One has to have the will to change before strategizing about it.
Amanda Warner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-warner.html
Latest Review: The Magic of Gluten-Free Cooking by Julia Matto

Post by Amanda Warner »

From my perspective, I believe both strategies and willpower work together, and willpower has the stronger hold because, without it, you won't need strategies.
Peace Eze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace-eze.html
Latest Review: Higher Connections by Eric Right and Alexandra Right

Post by Peace Eze »

I would agree with you on this. There should be a will power to do before you take the first step.
Agbata Trust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-trust.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Agbata Trust »

It's just like waking up entering your car without and destination in mind. You will end up wasting the day. Now relating it to this will power is like driving without destination while strategies are the path to be followed to get to the point you want to.
Mimi JJ1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mimi-jj1.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Mimi JJ1 »

I agree

Great book, I love how the author explained everything
Thank you for this great book
Cat pill35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cat-pill35.html
Latest Review: Commercial Property Made Easy by Chris Lang

Post by Cat pill35 »

A strategy ensures that we are moving in the right direction, and it serves as a reminder of the ultimate objective and how our current actions contribute to that objective when willpower wanes.
Monica Omonigho Bennymoore
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monica-omonigho-bennymoore.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Monica Omonigho Bennymoore »

For a meaningful change to happen, a strategy is all we need once the willingness to change strikes a cord. Without strategies, there is no plan and the will power will keep existing in a limbo and can never manifest. so conclusively, change without strategy is no change at all. if there is no strategy dreams are at the sleeping stage. I have been caught in this limbo severally. I did have the will power to change a lot of things about my life but there was no strategy to follow a blueprint until I realized how foolish I was. The moment I began putting strategies in place, I begin to see the forward leap and realized that even the rich have strategies in place to make wealth.
So to me its strategy rather than will power.
Nathaniel Sarah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathaniel-sarah.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Nathaniel Sarah »

I believe it is individual. Some people can make significant changes all of a sudden and maintain them because they have a strong will. Others require a plan to follow to stay on track and avoid feeling overwhelmed.
Jasmine Chinemerem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Jasmine Chinemerem »

I believe that strategies are always superior to willpower because the latter does not ensure success. An individual who has a plan of action has some direction and knows what to do.
Favour Ugwu Chidinma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favyugwu.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Favour Ugwu Chidinma »

There's a saying that strategies gives great results than willpower. Is not working hard but working smart.
Ekuma Blessing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekuma-blessing.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd Edition by Jack Winnick

Post by Ekuma Blessing »

I do concur with the writer. When our willpower wanes, a plan ensures that we are moving in the right path and serves as a reminder of the ultimate objective and how our current activities contribute to that aim. I believe willpower is unstable. especially when relying solely on willpower is probably not going to get us very far because good things take time.
Mercylib
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercylib.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Mercylib »

For me, strategies triumph over willpower any day because having only willpower doesn't guarantee that a person will be able to achieve success. Having a strategy gives a person some guidance and they know what course of action they must take.

Return to “Discuss " Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute" by Jeff Meyer”