What are your thoughts on "When you want to change, strategies are more helpful than will power.?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through" by Jeff Meyer.
Tomes 2 Read
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomes-2-read.html
Latest Review: Rough Way to the High Way by Kelly Mack McCoy

Re: What are your thoughts on "When you want to change, strategies are more helpful than will power.?

Post by Tomes 2 Read »

I agree with that statement - it is indicative of Jeff Meyer's theme of meditation and action throughout Fear Not. We can dream, but unless we map out how to realize our dreams and act accordingly, nothing will come of our dreaming. They become wishes (i.e., dreams that never materialized), which is the main ingredient for regret. And regret is such an unwelcome companion.
Heidadela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidadela.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Heidadela »

You may have the willpower to change something in life but without some goals and proper strategies, the results may not be up to standard. Personally, when I need to change something, I first lay down my goals, then set ways of achieving the goals. Laying down strategies is like putting a light on your path to change. Without the light/strategies, all is dark and confusing. You might even find yourself deviating from what you initially wished to achieve. It organizes your endeavour and also enhances your self discipline. This is my personal understanding.
Sophia U
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophia-u.html
Latest Review: Hard Journey of the Heart: Jesse's Story by Mark Zullo

Post by Sophia U »

Both are helpful in their own way. However, will power is fleeting especially when the goal is hard to achieve. With strategies, the proverbial goal will be easier to achieve becoming less hopeless and unachievable. As someone who struggles with maintaining will power and thus achieving goals, I feel that strategies aren't necessarily MORE helpful but it does help when sheer will power isn't enough.
Nouria el saftawy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nouria-el-saftawy.html
Latest Review: Sandra Eden's War by Michael Low

Post by Nouria el saftawy »

I disagree, I think willpower is more important because we might have the best of the strategies but don’t have willpower and then we won’t really apply those strategies, in my personal opinion if you have willpower you have everything because you’ll never give up.
Ldpuff
Currently Reading: Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ldpuff.html
Latest Review: The Merriest, The Beariest Bears by Doreen M. Atkinson

Post by Ldpuff »

Strategies are definitely more helpful than willpower, but aren't they equally important? I have made plans to accomplish challenging tasks, but never been successful because I do not have the willpower. Sometimes the meticulously laid out plans show the sheer challenge ahead and the willpower evaporates! I believe for true change, both willpower and strategies are vital. One without the other will lead to failure.
Mimi Kenneth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mimi-kenneth.html
Latest Review: Last Dance by Stephen Manning

Post by Mimi Kenneth »

I disagree, I think willpower is more important for that is the first thing one needs before a change could be made for it motivates one to make a plan, I know that sometimes the willpower is there but the lack of plans stops the change from happening but then there isn't a need for a plan if the willpower isn't there.
Sara chhawniwala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sara-chhawniwala.html
Latest Review: Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of Expat Life by Jim Santos

Post by Sara chhawniwala »

I donot agree with the idea. No doubt strategies are very important to succeed. However, even if we have well-planned strategies, without enough will power to go through the plan one cannot succeed. The first step needed both in life and work is the will power to actually follow the stratagies made.
One can make as many stategies as one may like. But without the will to do what it takes, those stategies are merely gibberish.
DTamara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtamara.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by DTamara »

I think what the author means is that both are needed, however, strategy is more helpful long-term. The reward is also an important part of the conversation. With just will power and no reward, there is only so long you a person can go. If by chance of luck, you do get a reward without a proper strategy, it might keep you going for a while. Strategy is thinking in the long term and increasing your chances of success. I am not sure though we can generalize how big of a part strategy and will power play. Life is simply too messy. What is certain, in my opinion, is that both certainly help.
Vishnu Priya B
Currently Reading: The Unwanted Guest
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vishnu-priya-b.html
Latest Review: A Walk Through the Grapes by David Jackson

Post by Vishnu Priya B »

In my perspective, both are equally important. When you want to see a change, you definitely need strategies to improve your efficiency. But without willpower, you won't be able to work through your strategies.
Anjali Patil
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anjali-patil.html

Post by Anjali Patil »

For me, both aspects matter the most. Without willpower, we cannot even dare to change, and without strategies, we cannot accumulate the change. Both things go hand in hand. So, according to me, I think both aspects should be considered while trying to change.
pegasus-7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pegasus-7.html
Latest Review: encoded by Richard Nedbal

Post by pegasus-7 »

What will you do of your strategy if you are just going to drop out of your path when you don't have the will power to change something, but even so, the will power to do something also goes into vain if we don't have a proper strategy to execute it. Both are equally important, one cannot choose between the either of the two. Without any of it, its just not possible to achieve anything.
Nithilah Ayyappan
Currently Reading: We Hunt the Flame
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nithilah-ayyappan.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson
Reading Device: B07KR2N2GF

Post by Nithilah Ayyappan »

I do not exactly believe this quote is accurate, as when looking back at personal experiences, willpower always played a greater role than any strategy. Even if there were many different strategies to implement when you want to change, you can only put those to use if you really want to, so willpower is much greater than anything else.
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

I agree because you can run out of willpower. Strategies on the other hand, are a roadmap you can follow. It gives you a baseline which you can go back to as you try to succeed. When you want to build a house, you start by planning from the foundation until the house is standing. You just don't say you want to build a house and start immediately no matter how strong your willpower is.
Rothycia Emberlyn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Rothycia Emberlyn »

Yup I agree, completely agree thou with you. alone cannot make a change and neither can strategy.
Both are equally important to, and Willpower isn't gonna change the world alone but with a through strategy one can definitely make healthy changes, and Considered that after strategizing, action is taken.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

If a person really wants to change they need both. You can want to follow your dreams and make a difference all you want, but if you don't have a plan to make them come true it is all of no consequence.

Return to “Discuss " Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute" by Jeff Meyer”