What are your thoughts on "When you want to change, strategies are more helpful than will power.?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through" by Jeff Meyer.
t_mann23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-mann23.html
Latest Review: Soria's Blood by D.L. Brownson

Re: What are your thoughts on "When you want to change, strategies are more helpful than will power.?

Post by t_mann23 »

Strategies are most definitely more helpful than willpower. There are so many things I've told myself I want/need to do, but until I actually make a plan for achieving them, they rarely happen. And then I am disappointed in myself for failing, even though I never really gave myself a chance to succeed. No matter how hard you will it, you need a starting point, and that comes with strategy.
Nivedita BookBee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nivedita-bookbee.html
Latest Review: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by Nivedita BookBee »

I can totally agree with this statement! Our life and the things we do in our life are not merely because of sheer will power, strategies and being strategic helps a lot and boosts the chances of us getting something by infinite points. Strategizing is very necessary.
Laurina Michael Olowoniran
Currently Reading: Be the Change: The Future is in Your Hands
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurina-olowo.html
Latest Review: Mister Pushkin Sees The Light by AC Michael

Post by Laurina Michael Olowoniran »

The truth is, we all will desire change at one tone or another even in our personal lives. We would somehow want change. That desire is the will but truly, it is not enough, never enough. I have had to struggle to make a change, sometimes I start and not finish it. I find myself stopping halfway. Strategy is key. I have decided to do just that. Make the move with strategy.
Elendu Ekechukwu
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elendu-ekechukwu.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Elendu Ekechukwu »

I won't say that one is more helpful than the other, I think that the two work together. Without willpower, you wouldn't follow any strategy you develop
Tushar Swami
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tushar-swami.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Tushar Swami »

In my opinion, both should be kept at equal pedestals as both are equally important to change. Strategy is a blueprint of how you are going to change, but willpower is the one that keeps us going until we reach our goal.
Reader Chavez
Currently Reading: Jirvania
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-chavez.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Reader Chavez »

I think both are obviously needed to achieve a goal. But I agree with the author that strategy might be a little bit more important. Will power will take you there, but strategies make the change realistic. It helps you start step by step to actually change. Strategies after time will keep you advancing.
Mason Garrod
Currently Reading: Uncommon Poems Common People
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mason-garrod.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Mason Garrod »

I definitely agreed with the statement. Wanting something is the easiest part, but if you don't know where to direct that desire, it can be wasted. For me at least, strategy and routine are by far the best ways to achieve any kind of productivity. It's very easy to want to skip the planning stage and leap right into the activity in question, but even a small amount of planning and strategy will pay off a dozen times over by making you so much more efficient and focused in the long run
the_ashfeathers
Favorite Author: Cassandra Clare
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-ashfeathers.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter
fav_author_id: 2912

Post by the_ashfeathers »

I'd have to disagree on this. It's true that the right strategies are the ones that make you successful and even confident but willpower is the first step forward. It is the soil to your roses the first and foremost step. It gives you motive, it provides you with the first incentive to create those "strategies" and be willing enough to follow them. For instance, you might have a thousand different ideas, plots, character names for a novel you intend to write in the future. But without willpower that 'future' will remain just that—future. You won't act on it, just form plans and scenarios in your head that lead you absolutely nowhere.
"Bloodthirsty little beasts. Never trust a duck." ~ Will Herondale (Cassandra Clare)
Nada Diaa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nada-diaa.html
Latest Review: Lost in the reflecting pool by Diane Pomerantz

Post by Nada Diaa »

I think the two should go parallel to each other. You will not put up a strategy either in work or personal life if you do not have the will to do it.
MoeBrown
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moebrown.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by MoeBrown »

Will power is important but it's not enough. I can relate to this and so I think the author is correct. I liken it to wanting to build something but not knowing how to. You'll get frustrated after failed attempts and your willpower will eventually diminish at having made no progress or having undesired outcomes. On the other side of the spectrum, you could have a well planned strategy that benefits from someone else (which is not always a good thing) therefore not needing a whole lot of willpower on your part.
Aarti Jha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aarti-jha.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Aarti Jha »

I won't say strategy or will power, any of these two are more helpful than the other. Will-power is a pre-requisite in order to think a strategy. If you don't have will power to take on any project, you won't even think of going to the extent of planning a proper strategy. On the other hand, even if you have will-power, things would seem to be going nowhere if there is no proper strategy. So, according to me, to succeed, you need to have both and both should be balanced against each other.
k_madhu_jha
Currently Reading: There's a Rooster in My Bathroom!
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-madhu-jha.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by k_madhu_jha »

As in my experience strategies are more helpful than willpower. Because strategies make you understand the details of the change you want. Will power is like a mood wind. It just goes with the mood. Will power is natural but strategies are not. They are self-made.
Jose Josphat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jose-josphat.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Jose Josphat »

I am trying to ask myself this question: Is there any of the two that is more superior than the other? Which should come first, willpower or strategy?
I think - the process of strategizing needs someone to have the willpower to do it. For someone to execute the strategies, he/she needs the willpower to do that.
Chiwelite O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiwelite-o.html
Latest Review: The Water Bear by Groucho Jones

Post by Chiwelite O »

If I understand, the author is not saying we should not have will power however, will power alone may not be sufficient to achieve the desired change. So, while will power is important, it is not the entire thing. We should therefore have a good strategy alongside our will power. I totally agree with this, will power alone cannot take us to where we want to go or help us achieve that change! We equally need strategy!
Fahad Afroz
Currently Reading: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fahad-baibras.html
Latest Review: Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of Expat Life by Jim Santos

Post by Fahad Afroz »

when you wanna change or achieve a goal, strategies and schedules are secendory to will power. I have seen a lot of people make strategies and never act on them and I have seen an equal amount of people create schedues but never follow them. So yes If u have will power you don't really need strategies

Return to “Discuss " Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute" by Jeff Meyer”