What are your thoughts on "When you want to change, strategies are more helpful than will power.?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through" by Jeff Meyer.
Donald Trust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donald-trust.html
Latest Review: Rosa by Barbara de la Cuesta

Re: What are your thoughts on "When you want to change, strategies are more helpful than will power.?

Post by Donald Trust »

Technical question. I think having the right strategy is key to effecting change. Because without the right strategy the will power won't cause a change.
Rex Rexy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rex-rexy.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Rex Rexy »

Being strategic and creative saves a lot of energy and time. Will power is not just enough. A strategy is like a well defined path to achieving set goals. If a person isn't strategic, he/she might not achieve goals. Will power is not enough.
Jerry Anozie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerry-anozie.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Jerry Anozie »

Difficult one there. In my opinion, I would say, for instance, you can't just wake up, start your vehicle and drive without any direction in mind you will end up not achieving anything. For you to achieve a set goal, you must have drafted out a strategic plan that would guide you. In summary, strategy is more important than willpower in other to effect a change.
kipper_
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kipper.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by kipper_ »

I think the idea is that both are necessary to fully execute a plan. Each will take you so far, but willpower and strategy are best used together. It’s like a machine with a missing part—doable but not ideal.
Gandhi_D 1st
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gandhi-d-1st.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Gandhi_D 1st »

DANAWEB wrote: 09 May 2021, 08:27 For me one of the most important points put forward by the author in this book is "When you want to change, strategies are more helpful than will power."

I find this true in every aspect, whether it is about our personal lives or about our career, or even in the work place scenarios.

When we consider our careers, everyone of us do want to make a move to another career or another work place at some point. However, unable to have a clear plan or a step by step approach as to what needs to be done on a consistent basis in order to succeed the chosen path.

Most of us has the will power, however we will not be successful if we do not have a clear strategy to follow our dream.
Indeed, there is no better explanation for this. Having the willpower is not enough, though it's necessary we need steps and strategies if we truly want to make a change in our lives or career.
Hager Salem
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 327
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hager-salem.html
Latest Review: One Foot Out of the Box by Vanessa Kristovich

Post by Hager Salem »

I find them both equally important. will power is the foundation, and strategy is the tool we use.
Wash William
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wash-william.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by Wash William »

Will power is just the executing power. How do you get to know the right thing to execute? This is where strategies come in. That is to say, strategies are more vital than willpower
Meenahhhh
Currently Reading: How to Live a Life of Hope
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meenahhhh.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Meenahhhh »

I think I agree with the author on this one. In the end, motivation will always fail but systems and consistency gets results.
Philosopher2022
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-philosopher2022.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Philosopher2022 »

I think both will power and strategies are important and dependent of each other. However most situation require more of one than the other. In starting a new business i think strategy is more important while breaking out of an addiction or abusive relationship requires more of will power.
Blessing Chi Peculiar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-chi-peculiar.html
Latest Review: Maria Tunicka Conductor by James Aiello

Post by Blessing Chi Peculiar »

From my perspective, the author is correct when he says that strategies are more effective than willpower. It's because will power only lasts until we do something that piques our interest and keeps us motivated. As a result, he asks us to develop some powerful but practical morning routines. By doing so, we provide the necessary momentum to our willpower to remain focused. Remember that will power is similar to stamina or physical strength. It is a resource that is depleted throughout the day. Just as eating nutritious and balanced meals is essential for a healthy body, so are willpower strategies.
Philosopher2022
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-philosopher2022.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Philosopher2022 »

I think strategy and will power are both dependent on each other. No matter the strategies you have without that enabling will power to enforce them you can't achieve anything. Vise-versa
Maria Ferreira Silva
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-ferreira-silva.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Maria Ferreira Silva »

It depends. I do belive that if you have a strategy you are more likely to chase your goals. But if you are strong minded and have will power you will find way to achieve those goals.
Temi Book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-temi-book.html
Latest Review: Black Wing Sky by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Temi Book »

This is correct. It’s something that has happened to 4 out of 5 people. When we read a motivational book or attend a class that motivates us, we apply that willpower for a while, then later the desire does down. But with a strategic plan, while taking it a step at a step, a plan can be fulfilled.
Okonobe Chioma Chukwuma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okonobe-chioma-chukwuma.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by Okonobe Chioma Chukwuma »

It all depends on the individual, both strategies and will Power is important when you want to change certain decisions.
Park Cherri
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-park-cherri.html
Latest Review: The Eavesdropper by Peter Wise

Post by Park Cherri »

I’ll choose strategizing over will power. Your will power will only go on for a short period of time or you can have the will power and don’t know what to do with it. But with plans and determination to go through with these plans, such person is a winner.

Return to “Discuss " Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute" by Jeff Meyer”