What are your thoughts on "When you want to change, strategies are more helpful than will power.?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through" by Jeff Meyer.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Re: What are your thoughts on "When you want to change, strategies are more helpful than will power.?

Post by mmm17 »

I believe that both are equally important. Without a good strategy, no amount of willpower may suffice. Similarly, a great strategy needs to be executed, and without willpower, it may fail.
Elendu Clement
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elendu-clement.html
Latest Review: The Wanting Hearts by Nicole Jordan

Post by Elendu Clement »

I don't agree with the author. Strategy is necessary but without will and power you can't use those strategy. I once read that self discipline helps you inculcate all other values.
AMithawala
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by AMithawala »

So my thoughts on this is that "will power " is something you need when you wanna change as doing something out of your box need courage, strength, will power whatever you call and with that a proper strategies is cherry on cake. As proper strategies will help you to achieve that desire change in life.
Marife Solito
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Marife Solito »

Change is inevitable says John Maxwell. I think every individuals have their own ways of coping to changes to personal growth. Strategies are important factor and a will power too. No matter which of them you think is helpful, the important note is that think of the life you lead today!
BookBoyP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookboyp.html
Latest Review: Purges of the Soul by Cathy S Birn

Post by BookBoyP »

I sincerely think they go hand in hand. Will power gives you the needed strength and determination to get up and get things done, while strategies are important in staying within your game plan of success.
maggi3
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: Paper Doll by Caitlin Strommen

Post by maggi3 »

I agree with others that they are equally important. We all have times when we don't necessarily have the willpower to work or get things done, but with good strategies we can work without waiting for willpower/motivation. However, it is a lot easier to get things done and work on those strategies if we have the willpower.
Pronouns: they/them

:gay-rainbow:
Amanda Dobson
Currently Reading: The King's Trial
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-dobson.html
Latest Review: The Quest For The Phoenix Crown by Xander T. Petersen
Reading Device: Apple

Post by Amanda Dobson »

I think that the strategies and will power are both equal when you want to change. You need the strategy to fulfill the change but you need the will power to see it through. Some of the best strategies for change fail because the driving force of your will power falters. Same goes true if you have a strong will power but a weak strategy then you can easily fail because you are not seeing result due to it not being the right strategy for your change. A perfect example would be to lose weight you may have a great strategy of going to the gym everyday for an hour but your will power for junk food isn’t strong so all the work at the gym will not pay off. So you need a strong strategy of going to the gym and a strong will power to not have all the junk food, only then will you see the results.
Sam Lauren
Favorite Author: Anne Rice
Currently Reading: The Dovekeepers
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-lauren.html
Latest Review: To love in vain by Pedro Merchant
fav_author_id: 2444

Post by Sam Lauren »

You need a mix of both, but it depends on the person which one is more necessary. I decide to make a bunch of new habits, I develop a strategy, and then I drop them when I'm no longer interested. My willpower just isn't there for things that don't interest me, and it makes a world of difference.
Archaeoptery
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-archaeoptery.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Archaeoptery »

I do not really get that. Will power would be needed to create/finish said strategies. Then there is keeping to said strategies. Some strategies you will need the will power to carry out to reach your goal.
Esther11
Favorite Book: The Shining
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esther11.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Esther11 »

I totally agree. You can work harder and for a long time with willpower but strategy helps you work smarter and achieve your goals faster. It would be a lot helpful when we put willpower into finding a strategy that will work for long term.
Shreya Mishra 3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreya-mishra-3.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Shreya Mishra 3 »

I think both are equally helpful and both are equally needed. If you have the will power to do the particular work but don't have a strategy it is almost impossible to do it perfectly and if you have the strategy but not the will power the result will be same.
MarcellaM
Currently Reading: Grey heart
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-a.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by MarcellaM »

I think strategies would go a great mile in ensuring our goal expeditions are a success. One may end up not accomplishing their goals since they do not have the clear steps they need to follow.
Mercy Osmond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-osmond.html
Latest Review: The Trials of Uwe, Parts I, II and III by Steven L Masia

Post by Mercy Osmond »

I think strategy and will power works hand in hand. If you have the strategy and no will power, how can you achieve the change? Is just like an individual trying to quit drugs, if he/she have the strategy to change but have no will power, to not give in to the temptations he/she will face, how will the change come about?
Liveforchrist51
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liveforchrist51.html
Latest Review: The Hundredth Time Around by Stacy Lee

Post by Liveforchrist51 »

In order to accomplish your strategic plans, you have to have the will power to do so. Will power is a must for any form of achievement. You may have a plan, but depending on how bad you want it is how long it will take for it to pan out. Just my personal perspective.
Ghuddie eso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ghuddie-eso.html
Latest Review: Jesus, Prosperity Gospel and Poverty in Africa by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Ghuddie eso »

If you develop better will power and stick to the strategy that failed the last time, you will most likely remain in the same position. A change of strategy is what will bring better result your way, and not will power.

Return to “Discuss " Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute" by Jeff Meyer”