What are your thoughts on "When you want to change, strategies are more helpful than will power.?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through" by Jeff Meyer.
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Past Speaks by Geoff McCue

Re: What are your thoughts on "When you want to change, strategies are more helpful than will power.?

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

I think having a clear plan or a step-by-step approach works. There is a way to evaluate areas for improvement. It is easier to identify and isolate items. Likewise, the lessons learned can be modified or refined and may serve as templates for the next activity or project.
cookiedough
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cookiedough.html
Latest Review: Dying Well by Susan Ducharme Hoben
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by cookiedough »

It depends. In some cases, willpower is needed more than strategy. For example, let's say you're running a marathon and you're feeling tired in the last lap. Willpower will get you to the finishing line. In other cases, strategy is needed more.
Ahbed Nadir
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahbed-nadir.html
Latest Review: There's Always Tomorrow by Jim Carr

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

Kavita Shah wrote: 09 May 2021, 12:53 Interesting question. A plan executed without will power, hmm...if you're not willing to do it then how did you mange to do it.
Conversely if you're having the will power and no plan then how's that gonna help you?
If one is making a big decision such as changing jobs then one needs a plan of action, see all the possibilities, needs to gather up some courage, and also be willing to do that. It helps to know what next and also that you can do it.
Yes! Everything needs to be organized and laid in place. Without willpower, it would be easy for you to backslide and fall back into your old habits and also without a plan you will be unprepared for an eventualities or crises that pop up.
"It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends"- Albus Dumbledore
Ahbed Nadir

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

Mindful Wordsmith wrote: 09 May 2021, 22:16 I think the author is right is when he says that strategies are more helpful than will power. It's because will power will last only until we do something that interests us and can keep us motivated. And thus, he asks us to establish some powerful but pragmatic morning routines. By doing this, we supply the necessary momentum to our will power to stay focused. Remember, will power is like stamina or physical strength. It's a resource that gets depleted over the course of the day. Just like how eating nutritious and balanced meals is imperative to a healthy body, so are strategies to our will power.
This is quite the take on the subject. A man with no plan is like a ship with no rudder. The winds of temptation will blow him in any way. Your own willpower can only get you so far, one needs to have strategies in place for when he's about to fall to ensure that he's always ready to save himself. One needs to have a perfect balance of both to see a meaningful, permanent change.
"It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends"- Albus Dumbledore
Ahbed Nadir

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

DANAWEB wrote: 09 May 2021, 08:27 For me one of the most important points put forward by the author in this book is "When you want to change, strategies are more helpful than will power."

I find this true in every aspect, whether it is about our personal lives or about our career, or even in the work place scenarios.

When we consider our careers, everyone of us do want to make a move to another career or another work place at some point. However, unable to have a clear plan or a step by step approach as to what needs to be done on a consistent basis in order to succeed the chosen path.

Most of us has the will power, however we will not be successful if we do not have a clear strategy to follow our dream.
In our work lives, we can't simply quit when we want to change our jobs. We must first look around for any available jobs and if one is not found you must look at your finances and plan your resignation around how you'll be able to take care of yourself. Taking action without a plan is simply a recipe for disaster.
Ahbed Nadir

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

Joy C wrote: 09 May 2021, 17:23 I agree fully with this assertion. In my opinion, strategies could just be the push your will needs to pull through with the change you seek.
You won't be able to make any meaningful change if you don't first plan and or map out a path towards the end goal. That is not to say your will power is unimportant. Rather, strategies give your will power fuel to ride.
Willpower is your vehicle and strategies are your fuel. Without both of these, you can't get anywhere in life. With willpower alone, its like you're climbing a slippery slope. Eventually it'll run out and you'll find yourself right where you started.
Ahbed Nadir

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

This point of view, while from a logical point of view is accurate, it can't be said to be the same for everyone. Some people have great willpower to the point where they simply decide to do something or decide to stop something and that's all they need. However, some people lack sufficient willpower to do so.
Ahbed Nadir

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

In such a situation, I would say self reflection is extremely important. One must look at oneself and know his/ her limitations, capabilities and strengths so as to adequately know how to implement a major change in his life. Upon knowing your limits, a strategy is then important to better plan how to play to your strengths to avoid slip ups. Strategies are overly important.
Ahbed Nadir

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

"The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak". No matter how much willpower a person has, or how much he desires to do something, if your flesh is weak, you'll eventually fall. You have to build up your strength with discipline and strategizing how best to approach situations of temptation. In such a case, it's always best to have a plan.
Nithilah Ayyappan
Currently Reading: We Hunt the Flame
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nithilah-ayyappan.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson
Reading Device: B07KR2N2GF

Post by Nithilah Ayyappan »

Although this quote is absolutely right, even with a strategy you need the will power to enact it. Change is not simply created once you have a firm plan. You need to be able to enact it and be strong enough to continue with your strategy. Therefore I believe will power and strategy are both equally important to enact change on yourself.
Durgeshwari Dolas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-durgeshwari-dolas.html
Latest Review: Cold Serial: The Jack the Strangler Murders by Brian E. Forschner

Post by Durgeshwari Dolas »

A good question indeed.
I think it depends on the situation, there are some situation where you don't need will power to complete them.
If we are talking about strategies, i think those are really important to overcome or achieve something, without plan how will things work according to your way?
Needless to say in the end if you're serious about your goal or path then I guess both strategies and will power are helpful and important for the success.
“We don’t need a list of rights and wrongs, tables of dos and don’ts: We need books, time, and silence. Thou shalt not is soon forgotten, but Once upon a time lasts forever.” – Philip Pullman
Jorge Leon Salazar
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jorge-leon-salazar.html
Latest Review: Mrs Geddes and other stories by Saman Mahanama Dissanayake

Post by Jorge Leon Salazar »

I totally agree, if you don't have strategies, you will hardly be able to make a plan and take action. Strategies make you create a path forward. With only willpower, it would be difficult to see the path that is going to lead you to the achievement of your goals.
Bernard Udofia
Favorite Author: Biz Stone
Currently Reading: Things a Little Bird Told Me: Confessions of the Creative Mind
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bernard-udofia.html
Latest Review: The Pro-Achievement Principle by Dr. Deborah Bright
fav_author_id: 72309

Post by Bernard Udofia »

Kavita Shah wrote: 09 May 2021, 12:53 Interesting question. A plan executed without will power, hmm...if you're not willing to do it then how did you mange to do it.
Conversely if you're having the will power and no plan then how's that gonna help you?
If one is making a big decision such as changing jobs then one needs a plan of action, see all the possibilities, needs to gather up some courage, and also be willing to do that. It helps to know what next and also that you can do it.
I don't think this two elements—will power and strategy—should be looked at in any order of priority. Both of them are just as important. I get what the author is trying to say—that one actual executionable steps to see progress. However, if I'm not even willing to go through with a plan, strategy won't help me do jack. I have to first want it, so this way when I put together a strategy, my will power can see me push through and execute it, especially in times when it gets difficult.
mchidoori
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mchidoori »

Strategies are the tools which bring about positive change and will power. Without strategies the situation becomes unbearable and difficult. Looking at a scenario without a plan is futile.
Mys_Trea
Currently Reading: Seconds to Live
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mys-trea.html
Latest Review: The Attuned by Gary B. Haley
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO

Post by Mys_Trea »

DANAWEB wrote: 09 May 2021, 08:27 For me one of the most important points put forward by the author in this book is "When you want to change, strategies are more helpful than will power."

I find this true in every aspect, whether it is about our personal lives or about our career, or even in the work place scenarios.

When we consider our careers, everyone of us do want to make a move to another career or another work place at some point. However, unable to have a clear plan or a step by step approach as to what needs to be done on a consistent basis in order to succeed the chosen path.

Most of us has the will power, however we will not be successful if we do not have a clear strategy to follow our dream.
I think the two are not mutually exclusive. If you're going to embark on a road trip, you need both the gas to get there, as well as a clear plan or map of how to get there. If you want to lose weight, you might have a clear plan on how you will do it, but of course, the universe might present you with a delectable slice of cheesecake or chocolate frequently. This would require a lot of will power to manage. So I wouldn't say one is more important than the other.

Return to “Discuss " Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute" by Jeff Meyer”