The author states we are copycats, agree or disagree?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through" by Jeff Meyer.
Ahbed Nadir
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahbed-nadir.html
Latest Review: There's Always Tomorrow by Jim Carr

Re: The author states we are copycats, agree or disagree?

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

ROSEYANN wrote: 15 May 2021, 16:47 People like to do what works. Hence people copy certain action assuming it will work successfully for them. For example "copycatting" is how humans learn language that's a basic truth, so we use this techniques at different points in our lives. However didn't the author mention that we have a creative side of our brains which allow us be unique. I tend to agree more than disagree.
Yes, in the same way that no snowflake is the same, so also can no human be the same. It matters not if they originally saw the idea with someone else, they'll take it and give it their own touch, adding a certain sort of individualism to the idea and making it uniquely theirs.
"It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends"- Albus Dumbledore
Ahbed Nadir
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahbed-nadir.html
Latest Review: There's Always Tomorrow by Jim Carr

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

In drawing as a child, most kids usually carry a piece of paper and simply trace out the desired art and this is a valid example of pure copycatting. This is a habit that a lot of people fall into as a child and as such its very hard to break out of. However as we grow older and develop, so does our brains and our sense of identity. Everyone has a unique point of view or experience that differs from each other. It's not simply copycatting anymore but now sort of an inspiration.
"It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends"- Albus Dumbledore
Mwatu
Currently Reading: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwatu.html
Latest Review: Protectors of the Black Prince by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Mwatu »

Based on my own experience, I partially agree. I do find myself at times paying less attention to what I am or should be doing and obsessing over what someone else I consider successful is doing. This however oscillates between copying and remembering, as the author states, that I am unique. By doing what I should be doing in my own unique way I too will hopefully achieve my own level of success!
Foluso Falaye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-foluso-falaye.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Foluso Falaye »

I agree 100% that most people are copycats. It develops from childhood. It's natural and biological. Children copy their parents and adults in order to learn how to survive. However, many people never grow further than this. It's possible to stop being a copycat. I now do things that I feel are the best for me regardless of if anyone thinks it's good or not.
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

Ahbed Nadir wrote: 19 May 2021, 02:01 In drawing as a child, most kids usually carry a piece of paper and simply trace out the desired art and this is a valid example of pure copycatting. This is a habit that a lot of people fall into as a child and as such its very hard to break out of. However as we grow older and develop, so does our brains and our sense of identity. Everyone has a unique point of view or experience that differs from each other. It's not simply copycatting anymore but now sort of an inspiration.
That is an interesting perspective. I do agree that as we get older our point of view and experiences shape us, creating a unique signature. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
cd20
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl

Post by cd20 »

RoGo wrote: 18 May 2021, 13:35 People definitely do copy their behavior from other people and we do try to mold our life to something or someone. I feel like we copy some aspects from people all around us and end up with a totally unique set of aspects that make up our personality.
I feel like in most instances I am just trying to live my life. However, there are certain instances where I start comparing something I do to someone else. I want to improve on my thing, so I look at what others are doing to try and improve my craft. I think in that way I am a copycat. However, most of the time I am not. I do believe that we all bring our own unique aspects to the table though. Thank you for sharing your perspective.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
cd20

Post by cd20 »

cookiedough wrote: 17 May 2021, 21:09 It makes sense in a way. Society has a set of standards most people abide by and avoid what doesn't work. It's a survival mechanism and it's not bad. However, being unique has its perks. Everyone is different and should be proud of what each individual can bring to the table.
This makes sense. I do not always try to go by the standards that society gives, so to speak. I just try to live my own life. However, in some instances, I do look to others for inspiration, but happily, put my own take on my work. Being unique is great, especially if you can find a way to stand out. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

I mostly agree with this. Most people do copy what a successful person has done because they know that it works, although I think people will usually try to put their own spin on it.
viczboy16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-viczboy16.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by viczboy16 »

I partly agree with the author. From my own point of view, testimonies are told to stir up the listeners faith to be able to do what the receiver did. Also we are Christians which means christ like hence, we are copying the foot steps of christ. Naturally, every one wants to follow what works but in reality what works for Mr A might not work for Mr B and vice versa
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
B Sheila Holt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: One Christmas Eve
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-b-sheila-holt.html
Latest Review: Open Heart by Akil Taher

Post by B Sheila Holt »

This is a very interesting topic. We see copycatting a lot in children. Especially at school. Kids wanting to copy their friends or peers, to be liked or to fit in. Kids at this age have not yet learned their own way just yet. It’s still developing inside their brains.

But as kids grow into teens, they begin to develop their own ways more and more, and yes they will “copycat” people and things, they will step out more to try their own way too. Then as they mature on through life, most people (maturely developed people) tend to just do their own thing for their life, while maybe copycatting a little here or there, if they see that thing is working well.

It also really depends on what areas are being copied. But as has been said before, to be copied is usually a high form of a compliment. I agree with the statement to a degree.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Mwatu wrote: 19 May 2021, 11:45 Based on my own experience, I partially agree. I do find myself at times paying less attention to what I am or should be doing and obsessing over what someone else I consider successful is doing. This however oscillates between copying and remembering, as the author states, that I am unique. By doing what I should be doing in my own unique way I too will hopefully achieve my own level of success!
I think this is where I am as well. A partial agreement. I go looking at what others are doing in certain areas, not necessarily to copy, but more for inspiration, which then turns into distractions...I do believe we all have unique attributes to contribute and not all copying is bad. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Folushour wrote: 19 May 2021, 12:48 I agree 100% that most people are copycats. It develops from childhood. It's natural and biological. Children copy their parents and adults in order to learn how to survive. However, many people never grow further than this. It's possible to stop being a copycat. I now do things that I feel are the best for me regardless of if anyone thinks it's good or not.
I agree that it is possible to stop being a copycat. I also agree that that is how we start out in life but copying for mimicking those around us. I think it is good for us to also explore what we feel is best for us. Thank you for sharing your perspective.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Mbrooks2518 wrote: 19 May 2021, 14:46 I mostly agree with this. Most people do copy what a successful person has done because they know that it works, although I think people will usually try to put their own spin on it.
I also partially agree with this. We do try to copy what we see successful people doing in our fields of interest. Hopefully, we also try to add our own unique voice. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Viczboy16 wrote: 20 May 2021, 02:20 I partly agree with the author. From my own point of view, testimonies are told to stir up the listeners faith to be able to do what the receiver did. Also we are Christians which means christ like hence, we are copying the foot steps of christ. Naturally, every one wants to follow what works but in reality what works for Mr A might not work for Mr B and vice versa
I also partially agree with the author. I do believe, as you do, that those of us who call ourselves Christians are to imitate Christ and not those around us. I can see that what works for one person does not necessarily work for another person. We all want to explore and copy those in our own fields of interest. Thank you for sharing your perspective.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Sheilaread wrote: 20 May 2021, 03:10 This is a very interesting topic. We see copycatting a lot in children. Especially at school. Kids wanting to copy their friends or peers, to be liked or to fit in. Kids at this age have not yet learned their own way just yet. It’s still developing inside their brains.

But as kids grow into teens, they begin to develop their own ways more and more, and yes they will “copycat” people and things, they will step out more to try their own way too. Then as they mature on through life, most people (maturely developed people) tend to just do their own thing for their life, while maybe copycatting a little here or there, if they see that thing is working well.

It also really depends on what areas are being copied. But as has been said before, to be copied is usually a high form of a compliment. I agree with the statement to a degree.
You are right, we do see copycatting a lot in children, and to a degree teens as well. Especially those who are afraid to step outside the box and pursue their own dreams. I agree that adults tend to copy some, especially in their own fields of interest. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Return to “Discuss " Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute" by Jeff Meyer”