The author states we are copycats, agree or disagree?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through" by Jeff Meyer.
Laurina Michael Olowoniran
Currently Reading: Be the Change: The Future is in Your Hands
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurina-olowo.html
Latest Review: Mister Pushkin Sees The Light by AC Michael

Re: The author states we are copycats, agree or disagree?

Post by Laurina Michael Olowoniran »

Most of the time, we are. Come on! Who doesn't like success? I do! But we have to learn to appreciate their success, learn one or two things from them we can implement in our journey, and become successful in what WE are doing.
Hannah Fabro
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannah-fabro.html
Latest Review: Last Dance by Stephen Manning

Post by Hannah Fabro »

It make sense. Because people opt to choose the easiest way. And since they already saw the outcome, they'll will copy the same procedure thinking they will have the same result. So maybe that's why Meyer states that sentence.
Mason Garrod
Currently Reading: Uncommon Poems Common People
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mason-garrod.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Mason Garrod »

I would agree with the statement. The entire way we develop as babies and young children is by emulating the behaviour and actions of the adult figures around us. If we see a successful person then we know that there must be reasons behind their success, and if we were to emulate any of those things then we might have a better chance of success too
Elendu Ekechukwu
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elendu-ekechukwu.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Elendu Ekechukwu »

I completely agree with the author in one way or the other we copy others. Christians would want to copy Christ. Muslims copy Muhammed. For you to be an atheist you must have bought that idea from someone too
Tushar Swami
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tushar-swami.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Tushar Swami »

People would hate to admit that, but it is the truth. We usually tend to follow what the majority of the people do. We try to replicate their actions in order to 'fit in' and become copycats.
Reader Chavez
Currently Reading: Jirvania
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-chavez.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Reader Chavez »

I agree with the author. We tend to imitate what gives results, that's it. Sometimes as we see someone succeed we try to do what that person did and although that isn't necessarily good, is true. Sometimes doing this distract us from our own path, which could eventually lead us to our own success.
Vidhi Adhikari
Currently Reading: True Teryn
Bookshelf Size: 280
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vidhi-adhikari.html
Latest Review: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless by Mitzi Perdue

Post by Vidhi Adhikari »

I don't fully agree with this. There are many ways to be influenced by someone. You can either copy their actions exactly, or you may aim for their level of success but follow your unique path towards it. Or there are some who are unfazed by material successes and focus more on the big picture and prioritize inner peace.
k_madhu_jha
Currently Reading: There's a Rooster in My Bathroom!
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-madhu-jha.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by k_madhu_jha »

Oh, I agree so much with it. We are copycats indeed. We focus on other's successes that we get distracted from our path to success. We just think all the time about how someone got so successful and get disappointed in ourselves and starts copying their success stories.
Fahad Afroz
Currently Reading: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fahad-baibras.html
Latest Review: Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of Expat Life by Jim Santos

Post by Fahad Afroz »

SO you are saying if someone is successful being a hardworker and I copy him or Im just inspired by him and start working hard, Im a copy cat??. I don't think that's how it works. I once heard someone say "you start as a copycat and end as a master", So even if u r copy catting someone, I think its fine.
Sarah Nichols 7
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Doctor Sleep
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-nichols-7.html
Latest Review: The Freedom Building by Martin Kendall

Post by Sarah Nichols 7 »

Comparison is a dirty trap. We see acquaintances on social media doing something that we want to do or sparks an interest we never thought about doing before. We may look into how they accomplished that goal and walk the walk our social media idol took. I think we have all been copycats at one point, but we’re not chained to that title.
Vidhi Adhikari
Currently Reading: True Teryn
Bookshelf Size: 280
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vidhi-adhikari.html
Latest Review: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless by Mitzi Perdue

Post by Vidhi Adhikari »

cd20 wrote: 15 May 2021, 09:00 Jeff Meyer states that "By nature we are copycats. We see someone else succeed and our focus shifts. We no longer pay attention to what WE are doing. we obsess over what the successful person is doing." Do you agree with this, or disagree? Why?
We all are inherently copycats, atleast that's what I think. Creation of something new does not come in isolation and we have to be inspired by something to create something. So while we are not exactly copycats, we do seek inspiration from the things around us.
Sarrikoziol
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarrikoziol.html
Latest Review: House of Cuts by June Gillam

Post by Sarrikoziol »

I both agree and disagree with this statement. It is human nature to look at other people's success and failures; however, I am not sure it completely shifts one's focus. I think it also depends on the field and the individual. For example, Bill Gates and Steve Jobs were competitive with each other. They watched each other pretty closely, but they didn't seem to lose their focus on their own success. On the other hand, I have seen people get so focused on how others are doing they sort of sabotage their own success.
Misguided angel means bad with good intentions
Swollen Members
Ousebian Nicholas
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ousebian-nicholas.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by Ousebian Nicholas »

cd20 wrote: 15 May 2021, 09:00 Jeff Meyer states that "By nature we are copycats. We see someone else succeed and our focus shifts. We no longer pay attention to what WE are doing. we obsess over what the successful person is doing." Do you agree with this, or disagree? Why?
I totally agree. See, humans are like sponges, they tend to absorb ideas they come across and in turn put them into practice. There's this saying that goes by, "Good artists copy, great artists steal." So yeah, we are copycats by default :lol: :lol: :lol:
EternalD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eternald.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by EternalD »

In a way, he is right. And this applies to all times and all types of people. Who doesn't remember the famous account of Julius Caesar crying in front of the statue of Alexander the Great?
Damis Seres Rodriguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Damis Seres Rodriguez »

I partially agree. Simply because that's the way we learn since we are children. It is part of our nature to imitate what we consider will help us somehow. However, i think it is a bold thing to generalize on the matter and say we do it all the time without adding our own experiences to the mix.

Return to “Discuss " Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute" by Jeff Meyer”