The author states we are copycats, agree or disagree?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through" by Jeff Meyer.
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

The author states we are copycats, agree or disagree?

Post by cd20 »

Jeff Meyer states that "By nature we are copycats. We see someone else succeed and our focus shifts. We no longer pay attention to what WE are doing. we obsess over what the successful person is doing." Do you agree with this, or disagree? Why?
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
That Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-that-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Unspoken Things The Inlightenment by Wilfred Thomas

Post by That Reviewer »

I also had a problem wrapping my head around that assertion. However, his argument about trying to replicate what successful people do makes a lot of sense. I don't know if I completely agree that we are copycats, as everyone has something unique to bring to the table.
ROSEY-ANN
Favorite Book: Winning the War on Cancer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roseyann.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by ROSEY-ANN »

People like to do what works. Hence people copy certain action assuming it will work successfully for them. For example "copycatting" is how humans learn language that's a basic truth, so we use this techniques at different points in our lives. However didn't the author mention that we have a creative side of our brains which allow us be unique. I tend to agree more than disagree.
Jennifer Garcia 555
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-garcia-555.html
Latest Review: Somebody’s Watching You by Robin D'Amato

Post by Jennifer Garcia 555 »

I agree with this for the most part. I see neighbors try to replicate the fancy new car or lawn from next door. I see people trying to achieve the same level of success as their friends or family members. Though I have also met people that don’t care what others think and only try to live up to their own expectations. So I would say it depends on the person.
“Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?” — L. M. Montgomery
cd20
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl

Post by cd20 »

I agree that what he says makes a lot of sense. I also agree that we do all have something unique to bring to the table, but I also think other people's ideas can distract us from our own. We can find ourselves playing the comparison game, getting distracted, instead of focusing on our own dreams. Thank you for sharing your perspective.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
Nouria el saftawy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nouria-el-saftawy.html
Latest Review: Sandra Eden's War by Michael Low

Post by Nouria el saftawy »

I agree with that, I think it’s in the human nature to look at people who are successful and we want to be like them, and because they inspire us so we try to copy them to reach that level of success, but truth is everyone has a unique quality and we shouldn’t always copy people and sometimes try doing things in our own way.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Nouria el saftawy wrote: 15 May 2021, 23:14 I agree with that, I think it’s in the human nature to look at people who are successful and we want to be like them, and because they inspire us so we try to copy them to reach that level of success, but truth is everyone has a unique quality and we shouldn’t always copy people and sometimes try doing things in our own way.
I agree, we all have our own unique attributes that we bring to the table. They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but it can also distract us from what we are supposed to be doing. Thank you for sharing your thoughts!
cd20

Post by cd20 »

ROSEYANN wrote: 15 May 2021, 16:47 People like to do what works. Hence people copy certain action assuming it will work successfully for them. For example "copycatting" is how humans learn language that's a basic truth, so we use this techniques at different points in our lives. However didn't the author mention that we have a creative side of our brains which allow us be unique. I tend to agree more than disagree.
Yes, he did. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. I agree that we tend to copy other people, but it can also be a distraction. Especially when we start playing the comparison game. We all do have our own unique gifts and attributes that we bring to the table. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Jenniferg_1105 wrote: 15 May 2021, 18:49 I agree with this for the most part. I see neighbors try to replicate the fancy new car or lawn from next door. I see people trying to achieve the same level of success as their friends or family members. Though I have also met people that don’t care what others think and only try to live up to their own expectations. So I would say it depends on the person.
I absolutely agree that it depends on the person. I do not think we need to try to "keep up with the Jones'" so to speak, but imitation can be good as well. As long as we remember that we do have our own unique gifts to bring to the table. I am not one to care about keeping up with people's cars, clothes, etc., but if I think someone is setting up their book blogs better than mine then I will try to tweak mine to make it better, lol. We all have our things that we "copy" from others, but they are unique to us. Thank you for sharing your persepective.
Nicholus Schroeder
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicholus-schroeder.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Nicholus Schroeder »

I have to agree that the majority of people are copycats, once they see one person do something or behave in a certain way they get a compelling desire to do what they have just witnessed. I've seen countless people splurge out a couple of thousands on shoes they rarely wear only because "they were in fashion or so and so wore them" how people justify such is beyond me.
Nicholus Schroeder
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicholus-schroeder.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Nicholus Schroeder »

Jenniferg_1105 wrote: 15 May 2021, 18:49 I agree with this for the most part. I see neighbors try to replicate the fancy new car or lawn from next door. I see people trying to achieve the same level of success as their friends or family members. Though I have also met people that don’t care what others think and only try to live up to their own expectations. So I would say it depends on the person.
That's all very true but I'm wondering do your believe that most people (51% or more of population) are copycats or do you believe that the majority is carefree.
Jagiine
Currently Reading: Children of Virtue and Vengeance
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jagiine.html
Latest Review: A Collection of Poetry by Cheree Scott

Post by Jagiine »

This is a bit of a tough one. I think the claim holds true for a portion of our lives, and may reemerge for some of us. More specifically, I think that we copycat ambition when we're trying to learn what success and its pursuit look like for ourselves. Copying is a large part of how we learn as children, and it peters out at a different pace for each of us. Some of us have an on-again-off-again relationship with it as we fight with confidence and passion well into our adulthoods, while others of us beat our own drums from a very young age. I believe distraction is most likely to come in if we're having tough times with our own things (whether for the reasons I already stated or because what we're doing is plain difficult) and want to escape that immediate difficulty.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Nicholus Schroeder wrote: 16 May 2021, 19:01 I have to agree that the majority of people are copycats, once they see one person do something or behave in a certain way they get a compelling desire to do what they have just witnessed. I've seen countless people splurge out a couple of thousands on shoes they rarely wear only because "they were in fashion or so and so wore them" how people justify such is beyond me.
Yuck. I had not even thought about that kind of copycat. I was thinking along the lines of smaller things, but you are right. I am not the type to care about clothes/shoes/make-up, so that was not where I was thinking with copycat dreams. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Jagiine wrote: 16 May 2021, 23:27 This is a bit of a tough one. I think the claim holds true for a portion of our lives, and may reemerge for some of us. More specifically, I think that we copycat ambition when we're trying to learn what success and its pursuit look like for ourselves. Copying is a large part of how we learn as children, and it peters out at a different pace for each of us. Some of us have an on-again-off-again relationship with it as we fight with confidence and passion well into our adulthoods, while others of us beat our own drums from a very young age. I believe distraction is most likely to come in if we're having tough times with our own things (whether for the reasons I already stated or because what we're doing is plain difficult) and want to escape that immediate difficulty.
I think you have explained this very well. I agree with you that we all go through stages where we are copycats and other times when we are not. I also agree that distractions do tend to come when we are having a tough time with our own dreams. That is when we start looking at what other people are doing and imitating them. Thank you for sharing your perspective.
Nichole Kurns
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Still Life
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nichole-kurns.html
Latest Review: Intricate Mandalas with Inspirational Quotes: by Big Initial Studios

Post by Nichole Kurns »

I do not completely agree that we are copycats. I do believe we incorporate strategies/action we see from others that gave proven to work. However, we can't truly copy because we bring our unique abilities and personality to everything.

Return to “Discuss " Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute" by Jeff Meyer”