The author states we are copycats, agree or disagree?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through" by Jeff Meyer.
Avishi
Currently Reading: all body bags and no knickers
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avishi.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
Reading Device: Pdf

Re: The author states we are copycats, agree or disagree?

Post by Avishi »

This is something I agree with. I'm not sure about others, but I've always wanted to follow in the footsteps of any successful person I met or knew, despite not knowing what I actually liked to do. I believe I am on the right track now that I have begun to do what I enjoy regardless of the outcome or success.
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
E Daves
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-daves.html
Latest Review: Zero the Hero! by Paul Gurgol

Post by E Daves »

I have to say that I sort of agree. Everyone wants to be like someone, and it's not just about success. This is not just about outward manifestations and the surface level; it's also about behavior and personality. Is that a trait of people? Or are we taught to do this? We spend the majority of our lives attempting to blend into society, obtain acceptance, and be noticed. We are trained to imitate others or set an example for others.
E Daves
Currently Reading:

Post by E Daves »

There are a ton of areas in which I don't find myself following others, and perhaps in those areas I tend to lead. There are other areas in which I seek inspiration from others. This becomes a way of mimicking them while still adding my own spin to it. It's still copying in some sense.
E Daves
Currently Reading:

Post by E Daves »

cookiedough wrote: 17 May 2021, 21:09 It makes sense in a way. Society has a set of standards most people abide by and avoid what doesn't work. It's a survival mechanism and it's not bad. However, being unique has its perks. Everyone is different and should be proud of what each individual can bring to the table.
Take a look at all the celebs we want to emulate in order to be successful, including their hairstyles, outfits, and lifestyles. It's simple to copy someone else's success in the hopes that it will also be successful for us. It's more difficult and frightening to develop our own strategies. Being a copycat is just the simple thing to do, which does not make it necessarily a desirable thing.
Jane Ogwang
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-ogwang.html
Latest Review: Dr. Marsha and the Case of the Missing Marshmallows and Hotdogs by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Jane Ogwang »

I couldn't believe he made that observation because it is so true. We tend to try and follow the paths other people followed towards their success, sometimes even subcounsciously.
Sophia Damilola Ajayi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophia-d-ajayi.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Sophia Damilola Ajayi »

I agree with what the author stated. Shifting our focus on successful people can also give us a new drive and motivation to want to work harder and become better.
Charles lib
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charles-lib.html
Latest Review: Unicorns Know Magic by Charles Adkins

Post by Charles lib »

I agree with that, I think it’s in the human nature to look at people who are successful and we want to be like them, and because they inspire us so we try to copy them to reach that level of success, but truth is everyone has a unique quality and we shouldn’t always copy people and sometimes try doing things in our own way.
Flourish Sunday
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flourish-sunday.html
Latest Review: 9 Rules to Dominate Your Money and Learn What 67% of Adults Don’t Know by Finley Lewis

Post by Flourish Sunday »

I concur that a lot of what he says makes logic. I agree that everyone of us has a special contribution to make, but I also believe that other people's opinions can divert us from our own. Instead of concentrating on our own goals, we can find ourselves engaging in the comparison game and becoming sidetracked. I appreciate you expressing your viewpoint.
Monkeymoney
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monkeymoney.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Monkeymoney »

I agree with the author, most times people like to drift to things that functions better. For instance, when one is doing a business that isn't moving on too well with him, it is obvious such a person will surely drift to any business that works well for another person. So yes, I agree that human beings are copycats.
Okonobe Chioma Chukwuma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okonobe-chioma-chukwuma.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by Okonobe Chioma Chukwuma »

I do not completely agree with him, because most people tend to do what works out for them, while others tend to do what works for their friends, siblings, or neighbor. So I think it all depends on the individual's personality.
Victor Ayub Migos
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victor-ayub-migos.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Victor Ayub Migos »

I disagree because I think everyone is created in their own unique manner. Yes we sometimes seek validation or advice from people we see as iconic or role models to us but that doesn't necessarily mean as humans we need to copy everything. Wr
Roderick Voss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roderick-voss.html
Latest Review: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude by Anthony A. Morris

Post by Roderick Voss »

Where is the deception? Instead of exploring our inner selves, we try to be what other people are.
Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prince-oyedeji-oyeleke-jayeola.html
Latest Review: The Targeted Fictional Trilogy by DJ Chris

Post by Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola »

To a large extent, the author is right. Humans are programmed to celebrate success and want to have it to themselves. Once we see someone making it big and successful our attention starts to shift.
Christina K Wagner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christinawagner76.html
Latest Review: The First Time Father by Thomas Alfie

Post by Christina K Wagner »

I agree. I have seen studies where one person will do something in a room and the next person follows suit even though they don’t know why. Next thing, the entire room is doing the act the first person was doing and no one knows why. They just saw others doing it so they did too. I think that example is exactly what the author is talking about. People by nature want to do what others do. We follow fashion trends for that reason too.
Riya Sarkar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riya-sarkar.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Riya Sarkar »

Nichole Tiffany wrote: 17 May 2021, 20:46 I do not completely agree that we are copycats. I do believe we incorporate strategies/action we see from others that gave proven to work. However, we can't truly copy because we bring our unique abilities and personality to everything.

I agree with this. I don't believe copying something or someone completely is possible. Everyone has their own share to bring to the table.

Return to “Discuss " Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute" by Jeff Meyer”