What do you think of the different prayers?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through" by Jeff Meyer.
Online Concept
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ezel-dornelles.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Re: What do you think of the different prayers?

Post by Online Concept »

I would do the ones that appeal to me, like memorizing scripture and listening prayer.
Okonobe Chioma Chukwuma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okonobe-chioma-chukwuma.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by Okonobe Chioma Chukwuma »

I think it all depends on the individual and how they can communicate with God.
Park Cherri
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-park-cherri.html
Latest Review: The Eavesdropper by Peter Wise

Post by Park Cherri »

sssns wrote: 17 May 2021, 11:57 I think praying is like a personal form of communication. It does not have to be structured. Likewise, how often you communicate depends on how connected you are.
I agree with you. It should be something that you and God understands. It does not have to make sense to anybody.
Jane Ogwang
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-ogwang.html
Latest Review: Dr. Marsha and the Case of the Missing Marshmallows and Hotdogs by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Jane Ogwang »

I found Meyer's discussions on prayers, how and when to do them, quite profound. It was well-thought-out and delivered well. I picked two particular ones from the collection that I felt would work best for me, and I hope they make a difference.
Goody book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goody-book.html
Latest Review: Unicorns Know Magic by Charles Adkins

Post by Goody book »

I think everyone one Knows the one that works best. Atimes I forget to pray but whenever I remember I pray and it works. So it is for everyone it may be at home or anywhere.
Charles lib
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charles-lib.html
Latest Review: Unicorns Know Magic by Charles Adkins

Post by Charles lib »

I think praying is like a personal form of communication. It does not have to be structured. Likewise, how often you communicate depends on how connected you are.
Flourish Sunday
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flourish-sunday.html
Latest Review: 9 Rules to Dominate Your Money and Learn What 67% of Adults Don’t Know by Finley Lewis

Post by Flourish Sunday »

I consider prayer to be a way of direct communication with God. It is not required to be organized. Similarly, how connected you are determines how frequently you communicate.
E Daves
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-daves.html
Latest Review: Zero the Hero! by Paul Gurgol

Post by E Daves »

I make use of prayer walking very often. This is because I like to say a few words of prayers whenever my mind goes to anything. I try to dedicate specific times of my day to prayer but those times proove not to be as consistent as prayer walking.
E Daves
Currently Reading:

Post by E Daves »

The fact is, anyone can pray anytime, at anywhere. This can even be seen in the bible. We are urged to pray without season. This reinforces my belief that prayer doesn't have to be in a particular place, a particular time, or a particular method.
E Daves
Currently Reading:

Post by E Daves »

sssns wrote: 17 May 2021, 11:57 I think praying is like a personal form of communication. It does not have to be structured. Likewise, how often you communicate depends on how connected you are.
I agree with you. I believe that purposefully incorporating all of these prayers into one's day comes across as somewhat compulsive and could even look a little forced. One can choose to pray or not. I don't believe there is a proper method. There is no set time or location. Prayer is a personal communication.
E Daves
Currently Reading:

Post by E Daves »

Ahbed Nadir wrote: 19 May 2021, 01:22
cd20 wrote: 18 May 2021, 12:57
Ahbed Nadir wrote: 18 May 2021, 02:32 I feel that one should not have to follow a strict regimen of praying just to connect with God. As every individual is different so too will their praying styles differ and God will answer each one equally.
I agree that we do not have to follow a strict regimen of praying to connect with God. I went to the beach this weekend and that helped me to feel connected to God. I think that is the beauty of faith, our relationship with Christ is going to be unique to each individual. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
My point exactly, everyone will have different experiences or situations that make them feel connected to God or at peace with him. There's no rigid set of rules for approaching Him in prayer.
Exactly! Really, what I attempt to do is foster a spontaneous method of speaking with my creator, which may be at any time and in any way that reveals itself. I believe that attempting to do them all would come out as ritualistic and unauthentic. The ritual would be more important than the relationship.
E Daves
Currently Reading:

Post by E Daves »

B Sheila Holt wrote: 20 May 2021, 03:17 I agree with the idea of the walking prayers. I pray all through my day. I don’t have a set time or set way to talk to God. I just “talk”. He is there and hears me. Then when I am still and quiet, I can meditate on the Word and IN the Word and have different prayers. He hears and responds to all of them. God just welcomes the fellowship, the relationship and the constant communication.
I do walking prayers too. I talk to God whenever I want, whether I'm taking a walk or working. I find the time I need to pray. I believe that being impromptu in our prayers helps us to be more authentic with both ourselves and our Creator.
E Daves
Currently Reading:

Post by E Daves »

Karissa Schilling wrote: 23 May 2021, 18:37 When it comes to prayer, more doesn't always mean better. I can't help but feel that doing all of these prayers daily would lead to mindless praying, which is almost worse than not praying at all. I think the amount to which a person prays in a day should be natural and not ritual, otherwise it loses genuine feeling.
I have experienced mindless praying before. It felt more like fulfilling all righteous without being involved. Now, I make an effort to include at least one or two more of these in my daily activities, sometimes more and sometimes less depending on the situation. Whichever way, the most important thing is that I pray everyday.
Monkeymoney
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monkeymoney.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Monkeymoney »

Well, the author did a good job of classifying these types of prayers. But then, I don't really think one can be able to do all. As for me, I can't. Different people go for different things that tick for them. The prayer walking seems to fit me better.
Okonobe Chioma Chukwuma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okonobe-chioma-chukwuma.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by Okonobe Chioma Chukwuma »

I believe it all depends on how comfortable and connected each individual feels during prayer.

Return to “Discuss " Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute" by Jeff Meyer”