What do you think of the different prayers?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through" by Jeff Meyer.
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

What do you think of the different prayers?

Post by cd20 »

Jeff Meyer says we should be very "intentional about including daily rhythms that help you redirect your heart and mind to the One who gave you all that you have." He discusses several different prayers, the listening prayer, the lectio divina (divine reading), 1 @1, memorizing scripture, prayer walking, read written prayers, and then stopping for the daily examen before you go to bed. What do you think of these prayers? Would you do them all, none, or which ones speak to you the most?
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
That Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-that-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Unspoken Things The Inlightenment by Wilfred Thomas

Post by That Reviewer »

I believe this is a case of different strokes for different folks. I think walking prayer works best for me. I get so busy that I could almost forget to pray. But when I utter silent words as I go about my routine, I'm sure that "the One who gave me all that I have" hears me.
cd20
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl

Post by cd20 »

That Reviewer wrote: 15 May 2021, 10:48 I believe this is a case of different strokes for different folks. I think walking prayer works best for me. I get so busy that I could almost forget to pray. But when I utter silent words as I go about my routine, I'm sure that "the One who gave me all that I have" hears me.
Yes, I agree it could be different strokes for different folks. I understand the getting so busy that you could almost forget to pray. For me, I think if I tried to keep up with all of these it would seem ritualistic instead of authentic. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Killers’ Therapist by Jonathan David

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

I think praying is like a personal form of communication. It does not have to be structured. Likewise, how often you communicate depends on how connected you are.
Ahbed Nadir
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahbed-nadir.html
Latest Review: There's Always Tomorrow by Jim Carr

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

I feel that one should not have to follow a strict regimen of praying just to connect with God. As every individual is different so too will their praying styles differ and God will answer each one equally.
"It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends"- Albus Dumbledore
cd20

Post by cd20 »

sssns wrote: 17 May 2021, 11:57 I think praying is like a personal form of communication. It does not have to be structured. Likewise, how often you communicate depends on how connected you are.
I agree. I totally believe that prayer is a personal form of communication and it does not have to be structured. Nor do we need anyone telling us how often to pray. I agree that it depends on how connected we are. Thank you for sharing your opinions.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Ahbed Nadir wrote: 18 May 2021, 02:32 I feel that one should not have to follow a strict regimen of praying just to connect with God. As every individual is different so too will their praying styles differ and God will answer each one equally.
I agree that we do not have to follow a strict regimen of praying to connect with God. I went to the beach this weekend and that helped me to feel connected to God. I think that is the beauty of faith, our relationship with Christ is going to be unique to each individual. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Rochelle457
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rochelle-schoeman.html
Latest Review: Dark Matter Empire (Book 1) by Alex Zadeh

Post by Rochelle457 »

I think it all depends on the person and how they feel comfortable and more connected in prayer. Like I like to pray walk through the day and be thankful for my blessing and then in the evening I would memorize scripture and also use that in prayer.
Ahbed Nadir

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

cd20 wrote: 18 May 2021, 12:57
Ahbed Nadir wrote: 18 May 2021, 02:32 I feel that one should not have to follow a strict regimen of praying just to connect with God. As every individual is different so too will their praying styles differ and God will answer each one equally.
I agree that we do not have to follow a strict regimen of praying to connect with God. I went to the beach this weekend and that helped me to feel connected to God. I think that is the beauty of faith, our relationship with Christ is going to be unique to each individual. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
My point exactly, everyone will have different experiences or situations that make them feel connected to God or at peace with him. There's no rigid set of rules for approaching Him in prayer.
"It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends"- Albus Dumbledore
Ahbed Nadir

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

A thought that I had about this is something to do with the scripture and how Jesus said we should not be like the Pharisees and be praying only for public approval but we should pray anywhere and anyhow, conversing with God about our thoughts and dreams. This reinforces my belief that anyone can pray at anytime.
Ahbed Nadir

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

Despite my thoughts on this, I somewhat agree with the author as the various prayers could be of help to someone new to the faith. The repetitiveness of the activity could cause a new believer to be better used to praying and as such get comfortable talking to God. This could be a great use of the daily examen and the morning prayers.
Ahbed Nadir

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

That Reviewer wrote: 15 May 2021, 10:48 I believe this is a case of different strokes for different folks. I think walking prayer works best for me. I get so busy that I could almost forget to pray. But when I utter silent words as I go about my routine, I'm sure that "the One who gave me all that I have" hears me.
I also do this as well. I usually have a very busy day so when I have the chance, I simply pray to God under my breath, talking to Him as I work or go about my activities and this helps as well. Great take on this.
Ahbed Nadir

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

An important part of prayer in which I would agree with the author is with the importance of memorizing scripture. If you have no knowledge of the word of God you won't be able to stand against evil forces. One must always be reading and memorizing the scripture so they can have a good relationship with God and get to know Him better.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

RoGo wrote: 18 May 2021, 13:22 I think it all depends on the person and how they feel comfortable and more connected in prayer. Like I like to pray walk through the day and be thankful for my blessing and then in the evening I would memorize scripture and also use that in prayer.
I agree with this. I pray throughout different times of the day (not a rigid schedule, just as I need to), which is different times and situations each day. I try to start and end my day in prayer. I need to get better at memorizing scripture, but it is SO hard for me. Thank you for sharing your perspective.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Ahbed Nadir wrote: 19 May 2021, 01:33 A thought that I had about this is something to do with the scripture and how Jesus said we should not be like the Pharisees and be praying only for public approval but we should pray anywhere and anyhow, conversing with God about our thoughts and dreams. This reinforces my belief that anyone can pray at anytime.
I agree. Jesus did not have a rigid schedule for prayer and neither should we. He often talked to His Father as He needed to, withdrawing from the distractions, which is also want we should emulate. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Return to “Discuss " Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute" by Jeff Meyer”