What do you think of the different prayers?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through" by Jeff Meyer.
Marie Blackwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marie-blackwell.html
Latest Review: Hallowed Ground by Cindy Ziperman

Re: What do you think of the different prayers?

Post by Marie Blackwell »

From a religious point of view I believe that prayer, in general, is a personal form of communication with God and as such it shouldn't be monotonous but one of close friends and a father-daughter/son relationship. We should pour out our emotions into the prayer, lay our burdens upon HIM, and hencewhy bringing us a sense of utter peace.

However, different religions profess different methods or types of prayer to incite us or motivate us to form beneficial habits of meditation and a rapprochement with God.
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

Marie Blackwell wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 20:18 From a religious point of view I believe that prayer, in general, is a personal form of communication with God and as such it shouldn't be monotonous but one of close friends and a father-daughter/son relationship. We should pour out our emotions into the prayer, lay our burdens upon HIM, and hencewhy bringing us a sense of utter peace.

However, different religions profess different methods or types of prayer to incite us or motivate us to form beneficial habits of meditation and a rapprochement with God.
I also believe that prayer is a personal form of communicating with God. I do not believe that you need routine times and places to pray, or certain ways to pray. I appreciate the fact that the author gave many ideas for those who want or need them. Ultimately, we all have to pray in the way that best suits us. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
NISSE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisse.html
Latest Review: Insights for Coaching Leaders beyond 2021 by Jill Flynn

Post by NISSE »

In my opinion, What the author tries to emphasize here is that you need have some kind of guideline when you do a prayer if you want to get the most out of the content of the book. Because, this is not a prayer you will practice as a normal person does. So, there has to be a guideline or check list kind of a thing when you practice to enhance your concentration level. Therefore, he has given some kind of a guideline o follow. Having said that, it is up to the individual reader to start practicing these methods or stick to his or her current routine, if it is giving the intended outcome.
cd20
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl

Post by cd20 »

NISSE wrote: 21 Jun 2021, 06:46 In my opinion, What the author tries to emphasize here is that you need have some kind of guideline when you do a prayer if you want to get the most out of the content of the book. Because, this is not a prayer you will practice as a normal person does. So, there has to be a guideline or check list kind of a thing when you practice to enhance your concentration level. Therefore, he has given some kind of a guideline o follow. Having said that, it is up to the individual reader to start practicing these methods or stick to his or her current routine, if it is giving the intended outcome.
I do not think you need any type of guidelines, except maybe if you have never prayed before. However, we need to say what is in our heart, not necessarily a standard prayer. I do like that he has given options, but not everyone will find them necessary. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
ROSEY-ANN
Favorite Book: Winning the War on Cancer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roseyann.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by ROSEY-ANN »

sssns wrote: 17 May 2021, 11:57 I think praying is like a personal form of communication. It does not have to be structured. Likewise, how often you communicate depends on how connected you are.
Agreed. It is a privilege we have to talk with God. I do believe that the reminder to pray constantly is a good and timely reminder. However, I am do not believe in reciting prayers. Prayers should be personal I think.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

ROSEYANN wrote: 24 Jun 2021, 01:07
sssns wrote: 17 May 2021, 11:57 I think praying is like a personal form of communication. It does not have to be structured. Likewise, how often you communicate depends on how connected you are.
Agreed. It is a privilege we have to talk with God. I do believe that the reminder to pray constantly is a good and timely reminder. However, I am do not believe in reciting prayers. Prayers should be personal I think.
I agree it is a privilege to talk to God. I think it is one we often take for granted. I also agree that a reminder to pray constantly is good. Even a recited prayer can be personal, especially if it is like the Lord's prayer, and actually making a prayer, instead of just reciting something.
Nathaniel Owolabi
Favorite Book: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathaniel-owolabi.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Nathaniel Owolabi »

Practicing all the prayer types the author mentioned can get a bit overwhelming for people with busy schedules. I would adviser people to pick the one that works for them. Personally, I would pick the prayer walks and listening prayer as that works for me. I do enjoy praying but I can only do as much as time will permit.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Nathaniel Owolabi wrote: 28 Jun 2021, 09:07 Practicing all the prayer types the author mentioned can get a bit overwhelming for people with busy schedules. I would adviser people to pick the one that works for them. Personally, I would pick the prayer walks and listening prayer as that works for me. I do enjoy praying but I can only do as much as time will permit.
I agree with you. I like that the author has given many options to choose from. I think if you tried to do it all, it would become more ritualistic and lost the authenticity that prayer should be. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Khushboo Barwar
Favorite Book: Inertia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khushboo-barwar.html
Latest Review: The Price of Dreams by Jerry A. Greenberg
Reading Device: B07XVJZPKZ

Post by Khushboo Barwar »

None. None of the prayers speak to me. I took this part to be preaching rather than helping others.
Unsullied
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unsullied.html
Latest Review: The Thundering Herd by John E. Peltier

Post by Unsullied »

I agreed with the author on the need for a routine for prayer and loved the categories he put out in the book. It encourages daily prayer because let's face it, we are sometimes too lazy to even formulate our own prayers for different times.
Laurina Michael Olowoniran
Currently Reading: Be the Change: The Future is in Your Hands
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurina-olowo.html
Latest Review: Mister Pushkin Sees The Light by AC Michael

Post by Laurina Michael Olowoniran »

There are no rigid riled to prayers. I see prayer as communicating with God and that can happen anywhere and anytime. But I also know that when you begin to get closer to God, he begins to let you know how best He wants your communication to be. Just the way lovers do.
FJCJ55
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by FJCJ55 »

The 1 on 1 prayer is the one I rely on the most, especially in moment of distress. I was thought from a very young age to include scriptures in my relationship with God and to memorized them, but I honestly never saw the purpose of knowing by heart every little word of the Bible. I do believe that we should include a form of prayer for daily rythms.
Nancy Morara
Currently Reading: We are voulhire
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancy-morara.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Nancy Morara »

cd20 wrote: 19 May 2021, 14:41
Ahbed Nadir wrote: 19 May 2021, 01:33 A thought that I had about this is something to do with the scripture and how Jesus said we should not be like the Pharisees and be praying only for public approval but we should pray anywhere and anyhow, conversing with God about our thoughts and dreams. This reinforces my belief that anyone can pray at anytime.
I agree. Jesus did not have a rigid schedule for prayer and neither should we. He often talked to His Father as He needed to, withdrawing from the distractions, which is also want we should emulate. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Exactly, I believe the essence of prayer, is talking to God whenever you want to. Just like you check-up on your best friend every now and then. God should be your best friend and not a gini that you ask to perform magic trick and at your request as the master, he does. He is a friend who you should trust, and make him your companion in everything.
mbhuibregtse
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbhuibregtse.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by mbhuibregtse »

I don't have a problem with it but I can see it polarizing the audience. Some may be able to have an open mind, but some may stop reading the book based on the religious aspect.
Aarti Jha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aarti-jha.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Aarti Jha »

What do you think of these prayers? Would you do them all, none, or which ones speak to you the most?
I think praying is something too personal and can't be expected to follow some certain regimen. One can pray when it suits him the most, it can't be made to follow a strict routine as its a form of intimate conversation with the almighty and should always come out of heart and soul. For me, praying before going to bed speaks the most as that's the moment i find myself too connected to the divine energy.

Return to “Discuss " Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute" by Jeff Meyer”